The Student Room Group

Recommend me an Italian grammar book?

Hi,

I'm gonna be doing ab initio Italian at uni in october :biggrin: I started learning a bit with one of those teach yourself books but that kinda ground to a halt with interviews and exams and stuff but in half term or so I'd like to start again and do it properly MAKING NOTES AND EVERYTHING :eek3:

And I think a good grammar book would help me. Any recommendations?

THANKS GUYZZZZ
The best i've seen that's still in print is the collins easy learning one. You'll out grow it pretty soon but it's good to begin with.
Reply 2
Azione Grammatica is an excellent one. I use the French and Spanish versions, and they cover the very basics up until subjunctives and more complex grammar structures. It is a very definitive book which will have everything you'll need. DEFINITELY get this one.
Reply 3
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Azione-Grammatica-Advanced-Italian-Grammar/dp/0340915277/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264950184&sr=1-1

Is that the one you mean? It says it's for A level students...

Unless you can guarantee it'll be suitable for me as a beginner? Does it start from scratch?
Reply 4
oodalallyoodalally
The best i've seen that's still in print is the collins easy learning one. You'll out grow it pretty soon but it's good to begin with.

I agree, that's what I used and it was great. Well presented, everything clearly explained and plenty of examples. I also tried Teach Yourself Italian Grammar but it wasn't nearly as good.
Reply 5
Aelred
I agree, that's what I used and it was great. Well presented, everything clearly explained and plenty of examples. I also tried Teach Yourself Italian Grammar but it wasn't nearly as good.

This one is waaaay cheaper than that other one too so I think i'll get it :biggrin: Thanks everyone!
Reply 6
Ziffachan
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Azione-Grammatica-Advanced-Italian-Grammar/dp/0340915277/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264950184&sr=1-1

Is that the one you mean? It says it's for A level students...

Unless you can guarantee it'll be suitable for me as a beginner? Does it start from scratch?

As the reviews of the book suggest, it has been used by beginners, who have just started the language, who rate it very highly. Like the French & Spanish versions I use, they cover all of the basics, and also the more complex things, for when you get more advanced If you buy this, I doubt you'll ever need to buy another grammar book. It is amazingly definitive.
Reply 7
Decisions, decisions... :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Definitely 'Azione Grammatica!' It starts from the most basic of basics - masculine/feminine, etc - and goes right through to different applications of pronouns, and the subjunctive. We only started using it at 'A'-Level, mainly because it's a grammar book, and not a children's exercise book, which is I presume why they didn't decide to freak us out with it in Year 8. But it has really clear explanations of everything in English, and then lots of Italian examples so that you can see how each part functions within the language.

I'd definitely recommend it to a beginner.
Reply 9
I've ordered azione grammatica :smile: Thanks everyone!

Latest

Trending

Trending