The Student Room Group

Going into Law, how're these A-levels? thanks. :D

I'm thinking of studying:

History, English Lit., Biology & Economics.

(AS Critical Thinking is compulsory for the sixth form i'm aiming for.)
(General Studies is also compulsory " ")
i'm hoping to take the initial 4 a-levels through to A2; dropping Critical Thinking at AS and taking up General Studies at A2 (doing the full a level in one year).

What do you think TSR?

p.s. those who have previously studied/are currently studying these a-levels; how hard are they?

thanks. :biggrin:
Reply 1
Those four sound like pretty decent subjects, similar to my brother's and he's hoping to apply for Law aswell :yep:...although the General Studies is completely unnecessary...a lot of universities specify that critical thinking and general studies won't be considered as part of any offer, plus most places will give you an offer based on 3 Alevels or 3 Alevels and 1 AS, your time would be better spent focusing on your main subjects and not taking General Studies.
My recommendation would be to take those four subjects and the critical thinking, then at the end of year 12 evaluate whether you want to continue all four or just three, the workload may be a lot more than you originally thought, and of course 3A's in good subjects is better than 4 B's :yep:
Reply 2
Sounds good to me - Critical thinking > General studies generally but neither is normally included in an offer (except at Leeds - they take critical thinking as one of your three - or they did when I applied)

I think Hull accept both critical thinking and general studies in your offer - but if you qualify for the £1500 per year non repayable scholarship (kerching:awesome:) by achieving AAB instead of ABB then general studies is excluded but critical thinking is included.

subjects look good though =)
Good subject choices. History develops very similar skills of analysis to law and economics will clearly be considered relevant. The other two are both well-regarded by unis.

Latest