The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
blimy!! some schools have sudents who do 4 HL's...that really is crazy...those students must be superrrrrrrrrr smart and calm to go through the pain of 4 HL subjects!!!
In my school we take the usual 3 HL subjects and 3 Sl subjects...to be honest there isnt much choice in subjects in the school i go to....so it dosnt really make a difference...
Me toooo....i hardly sleeep....i tied red bull for sometime...but i got really ill after surviving on that stuff to keep me awake at night...i'm pretty used to pulling out on all nighters...but i find that drinking water frequently and washing my face with freeezing cold water every half an hour or so really keeps me awake!!
=0 i wonder if university will be as demanding as IB...but i guess all of us IB-ers would be used to the long nights....so we'd be able to cope....right ???
=)
Reply 21
Iapetus
On the debate of writing notes versus typing them, does anyone follow lifehacker? I found this recent article quite interesting: http://lifehacker.com/5467668/do-you-prefer-hand+writing-or-typing-notes
According to one of my psychology friends though writing is generally better because it takes longer and the longer the processing of information the better the recall :yep: I'm still typing mine all out though. Question technique is more important for me than recall.

Typing isn't feasible in biology (or chemistry) because of the amount of drawing involved. Sure, I could use a tablet, but producing neat and accurate drawings and then integrating them into the typed notes is way too much trouble. Plus there's something a lot more satisfying about having 90 physical pages full of notes than 90 pages of a Word document (well, rather fewer, since typed material is much more compressed). :biggrin:

And yeah, I find it much easier to remember things if I write them out.

sejal
blimy!! some schools have sudents who do 4 HL's...that really is crazy...those students must be superrrrrrrrrr smart and calm to go through the pain of 4 HL subjects!!!

As I understand it, having 4 HLs is not all that much out of the ordinary?
Reply 22
opaltiger
Typing isn't feasible in biology (or chemistry) because of the amount of drawing involved.... way too much trouble.

Placeholders? I've found getting efficient at scanning in hand drawn diagrams to be well worth the effort - it looks pretty neat too :biggrin:

there's something a lot more satisfying about having 90 physical pages full of notes than 90 pages of a Word document

Oh absolutely :nods: I'll have to compromise with scribbling all over printed notes.

As I understand it, having 4 HLs is not all that much out of the ordinary?

Depends on your school. In my year group of ~140 I can count the number of people with 4HLs on one hand. Taking extra HLs so you get to learn more sounds great, but at the end of the day it seems a bit pointless to me if you actually get examined in all of them because you'll end up with a diploma score that is (potentially) not as good as it could be.
So I was just curious as to what other IBers did to revise for the upcoming exams. I'm currently reading every text book under the sun and then trying past papers.

What about the rest of ya?
kingofthering
So I was just curious as to what other IBers did to revise for the upcoming exams. I'm currently reading every text book under the sun and then trying past papers.

What about the rest of ya?

Biology & Chemistry: answer every, single, (bloody) syllabus statement.
Maths: work on these super extensive problems on each topic (my teacher said it should get me a strong 6+)
English: Re-read my three books times three. Go over Brechtian alienation and Stravinski methods.
French: articles, essays, vocab, etc.
Psychology: go over (memorize) syllabus outline, studies, go over diagnostic models.

Then do tons of past papers for Chemistry, Biology & Maths.
Do 1-2 Paper 2 essays.
Read lots of french texts and practice on the 'understanding the vocab in context' thing.

Yessiree. :/
ragnar_jonsson
Biology & Chemistry: answer every, single, (bloody) syllabus statement.
Maths: work on these super extensive problems on each topic (my teacher said it should get me a strong 6+)
English: Re-read my three books times three. Go over Brechtian alienation and Stravinski methods.
French: articles, essays, vocab, etc.
Psychology: go over (memorize) syllabus outline, studies, go over diagnostic models.

Then do tons of past papers for Chemistry, Biology & Maths.
Do 1-2 Paper 2 essays.
Read lots of french texts and practice on the 'understanding the vocab in context' thing.

Yessiree. :/

That's actually a great way of studying for the sciences. HL Math is being a real bitch though, that is one subject where reading the book has almost no affect on my understanding.
kingofthering
That's actually a great way of studying for the sciences. HL Math is being a real bitch though, that is one subject where reading the book has almost no affect on my understanding.

It's worked for every exam I've had so far :smile: (and i will tell you, I have studied horribly last minute from the syllabus and gotten strong marks).

I just printed out the syllabus statements and wrote the answers on the sides, as well as writing them in a notebook later on (multiple revision).

It works especially well for Biology, fine for Chemistry (I'd recommend going over tons of examples and practice, as well), and it's almost useless for Physics :p:

Doing well in Maths = tons and tons and tons of difficult examples :smile:
kingofthering

Past papers, Past Papers and more Past papers.. Just keep practicing till you know what approach to use to solve a problem by just looking at it.
Reply 28
Hi everybody,

My name is Lukas and I am a recent (2009) IB graduate, now at a top-tier university in the United States.

In spirit of "giving back," I wrote a quick article on how to study for IB exams. It's concise, but using those strategies gave me a score of 42, so I must have been doing something right. The URL is below:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2856536/how_to_study_for_ib_exams.html?cat=4

If you have any input/suggestions, definitely let me know, as I am very open to constructive criticism.

Thanks!
Luka5P
Hi everybody,

My name is Lukas and I am a recent (2009) IB graduate, now at a top-tier university in the United States.

In spirit of "giving back," I wrote a quick article on how to study for IB exams. It's concise, but using those strategies gave me a score of 42, so I must have been doing something right. The URL is below:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2856536/how_to_study_for_ib_exams.html?cat=4

If you have any input/suggestions, definitely let me know, as I am very open to constructive criticism.

Thanks!

Awww thank you so much!:biggrin:
My mocks start in one week and IB exams in one month and a half
hope this helps me:smile:
Reply 30
thank youuu!!

I started studying last week and I think its going quite well :biggrin:

btw....HOOOWW did you manage to anwer 2 History HL questions by ONLY studying cuba!! Its crazy!! Im planning on studying all Russia, China, WWII, Cold war, Post war and Communism in crisis hahah pleaase tell me thats not necessary :wink:
Luka5P
Hi everybody,

Thanks!

This is so true about Psychology!

Nail 5 key, easily applicable studies and you've got it in the bag! (For P1) I'd recommend just saying to everybody to also have a good study for gender and one for culture (e.g. Bandura's Bobo Doll & anything about cultural bias)

:smile:
Reply 32
Amazing, thank you! :wink:

...although for the time being, I am not too convinced with the last sentence :wink:
Reply 33
hmmm we now have 28 days untill the finals begin...how many of you IB-ers are ready?? and have properly revised?? i am very very scared!! =S
sejal
hmmm we now have 28 days untill the finals begin...how many of you IB-ers are ready?? and have properly revised?? i am very very scared!! =S

to be honest
i am starting to revise from today :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

not the atmosphere i imagined but it's all my fault :smile:)

i am being optimistic now that it is possible to revise for 28days :biggrin:

who else is in the same boat??
I am writing English paper one, Mathematical Methods Papers 1 and 2, English paper two, Physics papers 1-3, history papers 1-3 and Chemistry papers 1-3. Who else here has the Physics-History-Chemistry triple assault? :P

I started studying about a week and a half ago. I am merely taking all my textbooks and re-writing all the notes out, referring to my syllabi simultaneously and using the questionbanks and appropriate questions to guide me. I am re-reading also all the plays for the exam in English, doing practice commentaries, reading up on historians and different historical contexts for the Arab-Israeli conflict (IB History HL) and hope to get feedback from my teachers going into the exams.

Then I simply plan to do the exams from 2007 onwards. I would have gone through all the questions before that anyway, thanks to the questionbanks. To be honest, 2007-back exams are not going to be as helpful in preparing you, so just do the appropriate questions from each section to learn the difficulty required for each exam.
PS. To those who are doing Biology, I recommend reading and answering the syllabus, like right now. There is so, so, so much content that I recommend you've finished the material at least 2 weeks before exams so you can revise the topics you are terrible in (for me it's biotech processes and physiology) and then just "ignoring" the stuff you understand well (and have already once revised). I recommend repeatedly writing out the answers to the syllabus statements you cannot remember, because you will not memorize it otherwise :/ Also, after you've revised P3 material once, ignore it till before exams. Just a small tip.

Then pre-exams, go over the topics you had trouble with, go over your syllabus answers, go over the recent past papers and specimens, and read up for Paper 3 once more; then spend the entire day on revising P3 (day of P1P2). :smile:

Small tips for those who have barely started revising for Biology and want to do well, haha, because this syllabus is a killer if you don't prepare well.
Bleh, just started.
Anyone have any tips on how to study for History? There's just so much material...

For Physics HL, I'm planning on just looking over my notes, and doing a couple of old exams.
Chemistry SL, I'm going to have to sit down, read a textbook, go over notes, and go through the syllabus thoroughly.
English A1 HL, I'm going to re-read my books.
Math HL, I'm going to review notes and look over exams... a bit worried since I never did first-year
For History SL, I have no clue what I'm going to do
For Spanish SL, I'm going to do absolutely nothing and hope for the best :biggrin:
bumping this thread in 3...2...1...
it's been said a lot already... but I will say it again :biggrin:
Past papers
Past papers
Past papers
aaaaaaaaaaaaand past papers!
hahahaha very helpful, I know. But actually it does help a lot, especially if you are cramming (like me!). Pick the questions you don't know how to do and use your text book or whatever to help you answer it. That way you can skip all the useless details in the text book and find your strengths and weaknesses.

heh, I miss the time last year in the first year of IB when I could just get up at 3AM before the end of year exam, revise until 8 when the exam starts, and get 7s in everything (except English :frown: ). Life's toughhhhhhhh

Latest

Trending

Trending