The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

LANCASTER's ACCOMODATION

HI, i am going to Lancaster for sept 2010 intake for Msc in Accounting and Finance (Lancaster University). Would you please let me what wil be approx cost of living for 52 weeks in Lancaster.

I may be needed separate flat/ room with kitchen n bathroom and can be furnished also...

Mostly i don't have habit of spending money for outing/ pubs/ movies and for unnecessary things.

So, what do you think abt approx cost of living.

Thank you
There's no rooms for 52 weeks I believe, only 40 and 36 I think. Anyways, a superior en-suite room will cost almost £4000 a year (40 weeks) in the next academic year. Most en-suite rooms have 6-8 rooms and 1 kitchen per flat. Oh, and "superior" means that it's new-ish, not that it's bigger or something.

I spend around £50 a week I think.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
So are you wanting to live off campus, since you seem to be looking for something on your own, with your own kitchen> Or there are always the pendle studio flats if you want to live on campus. Not sure if there is anything by way of studio flats for postgrads though. You could try the postgrad townhouses- they are shared, but more like normal houses.
Also, there are 52 week lets for postgrads. Their courses are longer
Reply 3
Teao the Cat
So are you wanting to live off campus, since you seem to be looking for something on your own, with your own kitchen> Or there are always the pendle studio flats if you want to live on campus. Not sure if there is anything by way of studio flats for postgrads though. You could try the postgrad townhouses- they are shared, but more like normal houses.
Also, there are 52 week lets for postgrads. Their courses are longer

thanks for your kind reply..... let me know in pounds if u know how much wil be the approx expenses
Edit/Delete Message
this webpage gives you all the on campus rents for the various rooms in grad college, just hover over them... http://www.lancs.ac.uk/studentservices/accommodation/pgaccom.html
Reply 5
btw in our second year do we have to move out of the college we choose?
SahilB91

Nope. You can only move to another college in special circumstances. Normally, you stay in your college (if you are offered a room on campus of course).
Reply 7
SahilB91

Most people who want to stay in on campus accommodation for 2nd and 3rd year find that they can get a room. You stay in the same college.
If you want to go off campus for a year or two you can do quite easily, or you can move into Chancellor's Wharf, which is in town and houses everyone but Freshers. Even if you live in town you are still a member of the college you joined in First year, and you would go back into that college if you came back to live on campus again. .
Reply 8
Lizj
Most people who want to stay in on campus accommodation for 2nd and 3rd year find that they can get a room.

Not necessarily true. I'm in Lonsdale and applied and was unsuccessful. Out of the 200+ that seemed to apply for Lonsdale accommodation for next year only a small number actually got their name pulled from a hat for a place.

Together with the University of Cumbria closing a campus, the whole recession malarkey and the bigger-than-usual intake of freshers it's been a bit of a panic finding a place to live next year tbh. Luckily, me and five others have found a sweet six-bedroom house so I suppose it's worked out for the best... :P
ForestLaw
Not necessarily true. I'm in Lonsdale and applied and was unsuccessful. Out of the 200+ that seemed to apply for Lonsdale accommodation for next year only a small number actually got their name pulled from a hat for a place.

Together with the University of Cumbria closing a campus, the whole recession malarkey and the bigger-than-usual intake of freshers it's been a bit of a panic finding a place to live next year tbh. Luckily, me and five others have found a sweet six-bedroom house so I suppose it's worked out for the best... :P

Uni of Cumbria is closing a campus????
Reply 10
Teao the Cat

I was told they're closing part of the University and that 300+ Cumbria students are now seeking housing in town for next year... apparently. :confused:
ForestLaw
I was told they're closing part of the University and that 300+ Cumbria students are now seeking housing in town for next year... apparently. :confused:

Oh, so it's just housing then, not actually whole campus- they had better not close the lancaster campus, I have a place there for PGCE!
Reply 12
Teao the Cat

Yes, Uni of Cumbria is closing its Ambleside campus this summer, so all the undergrads currently there are being moved to either Carlisle or Lancaster. There are not that many of them, but it will still have an impact on student housing in the town.
Reply 13
And apparently they're knocking down that tower block of accommodation on Cumbria's campus aswell, so I don't know where those people are going.

Latest

Trending

Trending