The Student Room Group
Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool

Liverpool Hope?

Anyone know anything about Liverpool Hope uni? I got an offer from them and the more I look at the uni, the more I'm considering it if Leeds Trinity falls through. But I really can't form an opinion on it, their site is rather vague to me.

So basically I'm looking for opinions and information

i.e.:

How close is it to Liverpool city centre? (I.e. if I was coming up on the train/coach, how far would be it be from the station)

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
HeliWolf
Anyone know anything about Liverpool Hope uni? I got an offer from them and the more I look at the uni, the more I'm considering it if Leeds Trinity falls through. But I really can't form an opinion on it, their site is rather vague to me.

So basically I'm looking for opinions and information

i.e.:

How close is it to Liverpool city centre? (I.e. if I was coming up on the train/coach, how far would be it be from the station)

Thanks.

I'm like the only active Liverpool Hope student on this forum i think lol...

The university is about 30-40minutes away by bus from the city centre. The rail service is too poor to be relied upon. The nearest station is approx 1000metres away (or just over half a mile and is called Broad Green) BUT i think it runs on the same line as the national trains so it isn't too frequent. Last time I used it, it took me over an hour to get to the centre. BUT in fairness, the bus service around that area is great!! They have a service which operates every 5 minutes and another which operates like every 15mins. That bus stop is about 10minutes away from the university. If your feeling especially lazy though theres another bus which runs from the university campus which is every 20minutes.

I'll be honest with you though, try and avoid this university. It was ranked bottom of the league tables in 2008 and had their results blocked for 2009.

The students union is non existent. It is absolutely dead every single day. The radio station is barely alive. There are no clubs/bars in the immediate area.

The sports facilities are OK.

The toilets are probably the highpoint of the place, always clean and warm.

The library has a decent bank of information and so does their online facilities.

Their computers are dire, I think they are still running windows 98 and have majorly outdated equipment.

The people are all friendly

The lecturers are OK. But in all honesty, they aren't the most respectable lecturers in the country.

but man, if you do come here, your getting the first round :biggrin:

Haha to be fair i'm TECHNICALLY banned from our SU... about 3 years ago me and my mate (1st year at hope) got caught 'hustling pool' and were banned. But i wasn't a student there haha
Liverpool
Reply 2
Liverpool Hopeless. It's decent for Primary school teaching courses though.
Reply 3
^Sigh of relief there as that's what I've applied for!
Reply 4
Liverpool Hope is the number one provider of teacher training in the north west, and has a superb reputation for that, so if you're planning on doing a teaching course, it is the only place to choose (much better than John Moores or Edge Hill).

Not sure of the value of going there to do anything else, though.
daytona01
I'm like the only active Liverpool Hope student on this forum i think lol...

Nope, I'm pretty active (ish!) too! :-)
Broad Green really isn't that bad you know, trains every half hour. I know that coz I live on that line so will be using the service every day next year to travel in (lived in halls this year).

Early in the morning, at peak time, the trains are every 10 minutes up until about 9am :smile:

BUT it is a bit of a walk to uni, between 20-35 minutes depending on how fast you walk, haha.

Like daytona01 said, the busses are pretty good- lots of busses from town to the fiveways roundabout (which is like a 5 minute walk to uni) and there are a fair amount that go actually right outside the uni as well, which is great!

You will like it if you go, but bear in mind that it's a very small uni- a lot of people moan about that, but I always say well you should have done your reseach properly then haha.
Liverpool Hope is alright. The lecturers are pretty interesting and the people are really friendly. The campus is pretty small compare to other unis I've seen but I think its one of the nicest. The SU really isnt that good though.

If you live near the cornerstone campus theres a free bus service that runs to hope campus about once an hour. And its a 20 min walk away from town, which is pretty good.
Gosh, Liverpool Hope is almost non-existent on these forums huh?

I got a conditional offer for Psychology (conversion course).

Based on my research, I think that I may like the university. I am not exactly a party girl and I am from a very small island so the size doesn't bother me.

I see they are considered the best if you want to go into teaching, but does anyone know what their psychology program is like?

Thanks!
Reply 8
empressrissa im currently on my second year of a psychology degree at Hope and i've gotta admit im really enjoying it :smile:

The tutors are helpful and supportive and its a really friendly place to study :smile: the campus is pretty quiet and theres plenty of resources available.

I would recommend the psychology course here for sure.

I've definitely not regretted my decision to come here :smile: xx
lotti6369
empressrissa im currently on my second year of a psychology degree at Hope and i've gotta admit im really enjoying it :smile:

The tutors are helpful and supportive and its a really friendly place to study :smile: the campus is pretty quiet and theres plenty of resources available.

I would recommend the psychology course here for sure.

I've definitely not regretted my decision to come here :smile: xx

Thanks much for that information! I am looking forward to being there.
empressrissa
Gosh, Liverpool Hope is almost non-existent on these forums huh?

I got a conditional offer for Psychology (conversion course).

Based on my research, I think that I may like the university. I am not exactly a party girl and I am from a very small island so the size doesn't bother me.

I see they are considered the best if you want to go into teaching, but does anyone know what their psychology program is like?

Thanks!

I'm just finishing first year psychology and I really like it :smile: The lecturers are really good, and the seminars are interesting. I like the way they assess as well, as there are no formal exams at the end of the year, just lots of little exams and assignments during the year.

If you want to ask anything PM me :smile:
Reply 11
Only go to hope for a teaching course, thats the only thing it has has a positive reputation for.

For everything else it is known as "no hope University"
rowe1992
Only go to hope for a teaching course, thats the only thing it has has a positive reputation for.

For everything else it is known as "no hope University"

So my degree won't get me a job will it, because I got it from Hope?
You can't just go saying these things with no evidence to back up what you're saying.

Have you seen their reputation for research? And their employment statistics?
Reply 13
Gemma :)!
You can't just go saying these things with no evidence to back up what you're saying.

I didnt say anything about employment,
i was telling TSR what the reputation is, and that is very poor.

and numer 2 if it is between you and someone who gets a degree from University of Liverpool for a job, no you wont get it
Reply 14
Gemma :)!

their reputation for research? Maybe teaching-based research but the last university I went to there was a system called RPT whereby each year psychology students had to either write a 2,000 word essay or participate in a total of 1 hour of research held by year 2,3, postgrad, and staff..

Much of hope's research is into teaching-based situations, and that is why they have a high reputation because they contribute quite a bit toward teaching!

Give them credit, they have high employment figures. I think it was like 98% last year - my two mates graduated then and went straight onto the dole so they are probably the 2% :p:

I personally don't like Hope uni. The course is pretty much grooming people to become teachers when what I really want is to do a more academic course which dips into stuff I don't know. IE EVERYTHING i've learnt in maths this year has been at best AS-level Maths standard.

Their marking has been very coursework-based which is amazing for me because it means I get 70+ on most pieces.
I live in Liverpool and some of the people in my sixth form have nicknamed it No Hope University.
Reply 16
Mythic Madness
I live in Liverpool and some of the people in my sixth form have nicknamed it No Hope University.

Thats what I said :biggrin:
No offence to anyone who goes there like, but there is much more respect for UoL and LJMU both in industry and graduate courses.
Reply 17
Poor Hope, stop slagging it off. I know people who are going there and may feel a tad disheartened seeing some comments here...
rowe1992
Thats what I said :biggrin:
No offence to anyone who goes there like, but there is much more respect for UoL and LJMU both in industry and graduate courses.

Hi...
I was just wondering why LJMU is so much more respected when it was ranked around 99 or 100 on the league tables, according to http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php.

I'm guessing that it can't be that much better than Hope.

I'm not from the UK though, so I guess there must be some other reason why it is known as "No Hope University." I would really like to know so that I can make an informed decision on where I should go to study.

Thanks!
dNydZl
Poor Hope, stop slagging it off. I know people who are going there and may feel a tad disheartened seeing some comments here...

I wasn't slagging it off btw.

Just stating a fact.

The only view I have on it is I don't like the location of the campus.

Quick Reply

Latest