The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Bit late now probably, but my teacher reckons they're going to ask about how ice sheets and glaciers produce distinctive landscapes.
Reply 2
Hi Debs3...what was the question for your geography cold environments paper in the end? I am doing it in the summer and am interested to know what they set this January
Reply 3
i know this is strange, but only two schools in the country did that question, mine being one of them.

is there anyway you'd message em the name of your school? because our results were dodgy, and our teachers would love to know the other school.
Reply 4
My school also did this option and we too had really odd results.
Reply 5
aghh this doesn't look good for me if your schools didn't do very well... I'm doing it this summer, they've picked enquiry question 4, trust Edexcel to pick the human aspect from a Physical Geography topic! I'm struggling as they seem to want us to distinguish between a management approach and a management technique...any ideas?
Reply 6
kirstied
aghh this doesn't look good for me if your schools didn't do very well... I'm doing it this summer, they've picked enquiry question 4, trust Edexcel to pick the human aspect from a Physical Geography topic! I'm struggling as they seem to want us to distinguish between a management approach and a management technique...any ideas?

Hey do you have any case studies for the 'Do nothing' approach?
Reply 7
flea-x
Hey do you have any case studies for the 'Do nothing' approach?

We've been using the Trans-Alaskan pipeline as an example of a tech fix, and just making it clear that they aren't really doing any conservation, they're just limiting the effects of a total exploitation approach as well. There's also the Yamal peninsula in Russia where they are talking about doing the same sort of project, but there's nothing going on there at the moment
Reply 8
kirstied
We've been using the Trans-Alaskan pipeline as an example of a tech fix, and just making it clear that they aren't really doing any conservation, they're just limiting the effects of a total exploitation approach as well. There's also the Yamal peninsula in Russia where they are talking about doing the same sort of project, but there's nothing going on there at the moment
I've put trans-alaskan pipe line as sustainable exploitation!So is it do nothing then?
Reply 9
I'd say that it's a sustainable exploitation, because it's just a transit region, and they're not fully exploiting it, by destroying the environment.
Also, if it was a 'do nothing' approach, that kinda infers that there is nothing, and the environment is pristine, but if it's got the pipelines on it, then it's definately used.
Sustainable exploitation sounds good though :smile: what other ones have you got? x
Reply 10
please please help me!
because only me and one other girl in my class choose the cold topic, our teacher literally never taught us and just made us go and do independent research on the physical side. now i've found out it's on management.. I'm literally lost.
Please could someone help me :frown:
Reply 11
toularose,
don't worry, i'm the same as you, but the management side of things is basically the interactions between human and physical.
You should be okay, because there's alot in the textbooks about management, throughout all units, (biodiversity under threat, for example), and if you use that as the 'building blocks', then focus more on a cold environments kind of theme to it, then you should be alright! :smile:
Any problems or things that you're stuck on, you're welcome to message me about, and I'll try and help! x
Hey guys,

im doin cold environment topic as well, and stuggling quite a bit with this section! but i was thinking if ANWR culd be used as a case study cos remmeber doing it for energy but it could apply here with many players including NGO's and the indigenous people...so not sure, but checking out the yamal peninsula is a good idea :thumbsup:
I am doing the Cold Environments option for this exam, and what I am having most issues on is most likely to be... specific references, and conclusion? Is there anyone who can help me on this? I really want to do well on this exam and I am panicking... ><;;
Reply 14
I'm using ANWR for sustainable exploitation
Hi I know it's a bit late but when the steer said why different management techniques are used to they mean against the human activites or how the challenges such as building on permafrost are overcome? :s-smilie:
I'm really starting to panic now!
Reply 16
why different management techniques are used to they mean against the human activites or how the challenges such as building on permafrost are overcome?

I think were meant to involve both :s-smilie:
For the variety of management i have 2 example periglacial regions: Tuktoyaktuk peninsula, Canada which is a boarderline do nothing approach and Glacier Bay, Alaska (plus links to trans-alaskan pipeline) as a comprehensive conservation

For polar im using 3 casestudies: tourism in Antarctica as a comprehensive conservation approach, HEP in Iceland as a sustainable exploitation, Jakobshavn glacier in Greenland as a do nothing approach because they arent do anything to reduce/prevent the onset of global warming which is the main threat.

For alpine/mountainous environments i have 3: Siachen Peace Park in the Himalayas as comprehensive conservation, Hohe Tauern, Austria as sustainable exploitation and Anapurna range, Nepal as sustainable exploitation.
Reply 17
07Izie
I think were meant to involve both :s-smilie:
For the variety of management i have 2 example periglacial regions: Tuktoyaktuk peninsula, Canada which is a boarderline do nothing approach and Glacier Bay, Alaska (plus links to trans-alaskan pipeline) as a comprehensive conservation

For polar im using 3 casestudies: tourism in Antarctica as a comprehensive conservation approach, HEP in Iceland as a sustainable exploitation, Jakobshavn glacier in Greenland as a do nothing approach because they arent do anything to reduce/prevent the onset of global warming which is the main threat.

For alpine/mountainous environments i have 3: Siachen Peace Park in the Himalayas as comprehensive conservation, Hohe Tauern, Austria as sustainable exploitation and Anapurna range, Nepal as sustainable exploitation.

Can you explain to me how Alaska is comprehensive conservation?
Reply 18
Can you explain to me how Alaska is comprehensive conservation?

Well I focused on Glacier Bay, Alaska which i put as comprehensive conservation because its all national parks and sanctuaries with mostly just research and protected wilderness (see www.npca.org and www.inforain.org) like antarctica

But i think ther transalaskan pipeline would be between do nothing and sustainable exploitation so that might be why :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending