The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
neethuxo
Hi, im in yr11 right now and im making my A-level choices REALLY soon, and i really confused :frown: i want to do medicine at oxbridge. I am pretty decided on doing all 3 sciences for alevel but i really dont fancy doing maths as well, but apparently it REALLY helps with BMAT which ill have to do. As my 4th A-level i am going to do Art, but its a lot of work and im seriously worried theyre going to doubt my sincerity to medicine and consider art as a 'soft' subject.

Also, im considering doing A-level maths as a long distance course at home. If im gonna do this then i will only do it to AS. And this will mean Im doing Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Art and Critical thinking/General studies for AS level! Will this be too much and useless? Should I go through with art? Is it practical to do Alevel maths at home?

HELP!

i heard art is not as respected as the humanities
Reply 21
CreativeBass
Well yes, BMAT is a necesscity for Oxbridge. But it does not take that much preparation (obviously you will be preparing for it, but thats generally after AS). Unless your someone that will want to prepare for your BMAT during your AS?

It will be difficult, if I were you I would withdraw myself from General Studies seeing as it is not really used by Oxbridge or most other uni's tbh, so its a waste of your time. Doing the others (5) is more than average, but I guess if you want to go oxbridge, you might be willing to go the extra mile. Note that there is nothing wrong with doing the average 4 AS's.

As for maths at home, depends how you find it now?

thing is, we HAVE to CT or GS atour school, although its a total waste of time. im finding maths and everything alright, ill be fine, but my main worry is art..if its gonna be totally irrelevant or like a soft subject..but i just wanted something ttally different from all my solid alevels..
Reply 22
but isnt art classed as a humanities subject?
neethuxo
thing is, we HAVE to CT or GS atour school, although its a total waste of time. im finding maths and everything alright, ill be fine, but my main worry is art..if its gonna be totally irrelevant or like a soft subject..but i just wanted something ttally different from all my solid alevels..

If you have to take CT or GS then I'd suggest going with 5 AS levels, but Art seems like too big of a workload for what people may disregard as "colouring". Perhaps History, Geography or R.E. would be a better choice?
Reply 24
lol, that is original :smile: and yeh thats is what im on about..ugh.. its so unfair :frown: i can tell im gonna have a sleepless night.. RE with the element of ethics would be really useful.. but i cant make myself drop art...its like so heartbreaking.
yungt121
whats chemistry like in college i heard that its very very hard
If you're "afraid" of chemistry being hard at A-Level.. forget about medicine/doctor :p: It's not excactly going to get easier :wink:
neethuxo
Hi, im in yr11 right now and im making my A-level choices REALLY soon, and i really confused :frown: i want to do medicine at oxbridge. I am pretty decided on doing all 3 sciences for alevel but i really dont fancy doing maths as well, but apparently it REALLY helps with BMAT which ill have to do. As my 4th A-level i am going to do Art, but its a lot of work and im seriously worried theyre going to doubt my sincerity to medicine and consider art as a 'soft' subject.

Also, im considering doing A-level maths as a long distance course at home. If im gonna do this then i will only do it to AS. And this will mean Im doing Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Art and Critical thinking/General studies for AS level! Will this be too much and useless? Should I go through with art? Is it practical to do Alevel maths at home?

HELP!

Why not do Maths instead of Physics?
Reply 27
ive chosen to go for
econimics
biology
geography
physics/psychology not decided yet

is this any good to become something in finance
and what is the best job in accountant/finance
Reply 28
physics is my best science :smile: which i genuinely enjoy.. i was hoping the maths element in physics would do me some good..
Reply 29
yungt121
ive chosen to go for
econimics
biology
geography

accountants? chartered accountant? (youll mint money :smile:)
yungt121
whats chemistry like in college i heard that its very very hard

Its very hard, in the AS year. Then depending how good your are at Maths, it gets a bit easier in the second. But is still very hard. It is a very interesting subject though, and as has been previously said, can be very rewarding.

yungt121
can anyone rate biology chemistry and physics from hardest to easeiest plz

Physics is much much easier than Chemistry, I don't do Biology so I can't compare but from what I have heard Biology is harder than Physics and Easier than Chemistry.

yungt121
ive chosen to go for
econimics
biology
geography

I would advise doing Maths,
the people I know applying to do economics are doing
Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics. Though I don't think you need Further Maths, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you really enjoy maths.

But yh Economics is good for finance.
Reply 31
yungt121
things i have got in mind are

biology
economics
psychology
business studies
geography

What are your predicted GCSE grades?
You might want to check out the A-level 'ratings' thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=810355
Reply 32
yungt121
things i have got in mind are

biology
economics
psychology
business studies
geography

Pick one of Business/Economics, you'll see quite a few crossovers and probably get bored.

Biology is always good to have as it's a good, solid A-Level but if you're looking to go into a Sciencey subject at Uni then you may need another Science (i.e Chemistry/Physics)
neethuxo

HELP!

I have a friend that is doing all the same subjects as you and wants to do medicine for A Level. For all does people who say that art is a soft subject, it isn't and is one of the most respected A Levels in the current curriculum. You should be fine doing Art and applying, because if you do well in it, it can make you unique in the sense that you can have dedication to all your A Levels and still do well overall (mixture of arts and sciences). As for the maths, if you are able to prepare and put some work in, you can teach the AS to yourself and you can even do it over two years!

With regards to the BMAT, on the website it says for the science paper that "This section is based on core knowledge of Double Science and Higher Mathematics at Key Stage 4", so you don't have to worry to much about the maths in the paper.

Hope this was helpful!
Reply 34
Paulwhy
What are your predicted GCSE grades?
You might want to check out the A-level 'ratings' thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=810355

this helped alot thanks
Reply 35
cpdavis
I have a friend that is doing all the same subjects as you and wants to do medicine for A Level. For all does people who say that art is a soft subject, it isn't and is one of the most respected A Levels in the current curriculum. You should be fine doing Art and applying, because if you do well in it, it can make you unique in the sense that you can have dedication to all your A Levels and still do well overall (mixture of arts and sciences). As for the maths, if you are able to prepare and put some work in, you can teach the AS to yourself and you can even do it over two years!

With regards to the BMAT, on the website it says for the science paper that "This section is based on core knowledge of Double Science and Higher Mathematics at Key Stage 4", so you don't have to worry to much about the maths in the paper.

Hope this was helpful!

THANKYOU, i read this and ticked 'physics, chemistry, art and biology' on my options form and im handing it in tomorow. this has helped heaps thankyou.

ps: thanks for saying 'art is one the most respected..' dont get that from a lot of people :smile:
yungt121
im looking to either go into finance enginering or medicine
is business and economics preety much the same thing

If you want to do medicine you need chemistry...they want chemistry more than biology! Business and economics are pretty similar...would do economics if you have to choose between them. Why not maths if you want to go into finance engineering?
If you want to do medicine you need chemistry...they want chemistry more than biology! Business and economics are pretty similar...would do economics if you have to choose between them. Why not maths if you want to go into finance engineering?
neethuxo

So does my school, but after a few lessons, I told them to withdraw me from the subject, you could see if they let you?

If not, i'd say to leave it as 5 AS's too. Its more then uni's ask for as it is :smile:
Also, I'm not sure if Art is seen as a 'soft subject' but it does take a lot of time. You need to make sure you have enough time to revise for your other subjects too.
Reply 39
yeh im gonna seriously ask them about letting me drop GS or CT. thats gonna ease some of the stress.. i handed in the form now, picked physics, chem, bio and art. god help me :smile:

Latest