The Student Room Group

Why do people decide to live in the UK?

It really isnt that great here, some people would die just to be smuggled here, I say to them, It really isnt worth it

Bad things about the UK;

Living expenses are too high (food, fuel, bills, transport, study etc)
Lack of jobs at the moment
and if you do find a job, then you are taxed to hell
Depressing weather
Hardly any great or spectacular places to visit
all cities look almost the same
Small houses, small cars, small roads,
Hardly any historical icons
too many chavs, racists etc

so many things, and I know some of you will start picking me on these things, but the point is, it really isnt that nice place to live in, TIME TO MOVE OUT:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Good things - it's better than the countries alot of immigrants come from, mainly because of the lack of threatening political issues, threat of war and lack of poverty.
Reply 2
In my case - education! Besides, it's the only English-speaking country in Europe (except Ireland which is more expensive) and English the only language besides my native in which I feel comfortable studying.
Reply 3
Most people don't realise why immigrants come to the UK.

The answer is money! Moola, dosh, shabooza, woza, big-bucks!

I'm sick of correcting people who keep saying that immigrants come to the UK to get away from their horrible culture back home. :rolleyes: Whilst some may do so, how else would you explain the tightly-knit immigrant communities who are criticised for not integrating.

People come here for the money! From poor to rich, all everybody wants is more money. I can't stress this enough, Marx was 100% right here.

And there are lots of historical icons in Britain (but not many immigrants will appreciate them straight away) and racism is no where near as bad as it is in Australia and other parts of Europe, such as Denmark for example. There are also plenty of Asians / Arabs / Africans so homely foods etc. will be available. The lack of Indian food supplies was certainly a decisive factor behind my cousin's decision to 'remigrate' back to India from the US, as his State had a very low Indian/Asian population.

Oh and finally the educational opportunities are good in the UK, something Britain still has to brag about on a world scale. I mean my family couldn't be happier that I got into Cambridge, and it would have been much harder (though not impossible) to win a place studying in India.
Reply 4
Because these negatives seem pretty menial in comparisson to wherever they have come from
EDIT: Some of the time :rolleyes:
Reply 5
Media student
It really isnt that great here, some people would die just to be smuggled here, I say to them, It really isnt worth it

Bad things about the UK;

Depressing weather

so many things, and I know some of you will start picking me on these things, but the point is, it really isnt that nice place to live in, TIME TO MOVE OUT:biggrin:

Would you rather live in a European country or Haiti or maybe Sudan ?
There's good education, healthcare and general infrastructure. Unlike other countries where the government doesn't give a rats ass.
I like it ... better than most other countries - we should count ourselves lucky.
My mate came here due to our health care system being much better than his native country, which his family needed.
Reply 9
DJkG.1
There are also plenty of Asians / Arabs / Africans so homely foods etc. will be available. The lack of Indian food supplies was certainly a decisive factor behind my cousin's decision to 'remigrate' back to India from the US, as his State had a very low Indian/Asian population.

Can't live without the paratas and aloo keema? I understand. :console:
I take it as a compliment that people smuggle themselves over here. We are an island, so they have to via France or somewhere else to get here. And France seems a pretty decent place and they have already gone to a lot of trouble to get that far, but they increase their risk of getting caught etc. just to go the extra 20 miles to get to our shores.

We must be doing something right.
Most people live in the UK?

I think you'll find they don't...its not that big.
Media student

Bad things about the UK;

Living expenses are too high (food, fuel, bills, transport, study etc) As like most Western countries. Define 'too high'.
Lack of jobs at the moment As like any Western country
Depressing weather Would you rather tsunamis, tornadoes, volcanoes, monoon weather, boiling heat or earthquakes?
Hardly any great or spectacular places to visit Debatable and imo entirely wrong
all cities look almost the same Yes, London looks just like Dundee doesn#t it. :eyebrow:
Small houses, small cars, small roads, Not because it's a small island, right?
Hardly any historical icons What? Henry VIII, Elizabeth I, Boadicea, Shakespeare, Wordsworth, Emeline Pankhurst, Churchill, Mary Seacole, Henry Purcell, Darwin, Isaac Newton, Cromwell, Nelson, Guy Fawkes and so on and so forth
too many chavs, racists etc As like any other nation. If you think we're racist try Australia or the USA :eyebrow:

so many things, and I know some of you will start picking me on these things, but the point is, it really isnt that nice place to live in, TIME TO MOVE OUT:biggrin: To? To the USA, where you have to pay for your healthcare, where a big percentage live under the poverty line, where there's high racism? To Australia, where there's high skin cancer, and they all act like Essex on an island? To continental Europe, where you mostly won't get looked at if you're not a native.

^^^^^
Media student

Bad things about the UK;

Depressing weather

The only things on that list that didn't make me think '....wat?' were the high living expenses and taxes, that said taxes do actually fund some pretty important things that lots of countries don't have *cough* NHS *cough* and living expenses aren't much different to any other western country, with benefits and such there's less poverty here than many other developed countries.
Reply 15
To sponge off benefits obviously. :smile:
Briton isn't racist, not in my personal experience. I was more uncomfortable in Rome, but that wasn't too bad.
Reply 17
Media student

Bad things about the UK;

Depressing weather

Shhhh. Let people think England is so great then we immegrate to another country :woo:
I agree that it's not great but I could say exactly the same thing about where I am now. The living expenses are just as bad, if not worse, but all in all, I like it.
HCD
To sponge off benefits obviously. :smile:

you are damn right:biggrin:

the ones who said it was for money, then why do the rich still decide to live here?

the ones who said for education, then thats incorrect, most people who ended up living here are the ones who came to study only,

"Small houses, small cars, small roads, Not because it's a small island, right?"

whether its a small island or not, these "small" things make it crap, have you been to the US? have you seen the big houses, big cars big roads? it really is beauty and luxury, you dont need a lot of money to live in a big house, here even the smallest is very expensive, and thats the point I was trying to make

the ones who said it was for the NHS, fair enough its free, but very bad servies they have, I mean how long do you have to wait for an appointment? its overcrowded

Latest

Trending

Trending