The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
KrazyAngel1
i just got an offer for law at nottingham AAB so i guess u ppl on hear will probably hear soon. I don't know if their doing the written test this year. If so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who got through without one. Good luck to everyone else though. :biggrin:

Well done! :smile:

I havnt heard anything yet Im getting scared that Im gonna have to sit a test :s
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
.NK
Sure does... they make up at least half of my course here.

I have no idea how they keep on top of everything though - I find making notes in lectures hard enough and it's my first language. I really admire those who get better lab report grades and better essay grades than me too...it's bordering on the side of jealousy...

English is the first language of many... and my god, the work ethic of people around me in this part of the world is astounding. I knew a girl who couldn't speak a word of English when she came in Year 10, and for A Levels she ended up with 7As. But it was A LOT of work... very admirable I say.
Reply 62
lilsunflower
Would you recommend Nottingham? I'm now nearly positive I'll go there since Cambridge doesn't want me. And hey! They're offer of ABB for Law was really generous.

To those waiting for Nottingham Law offers, I'm guessing they are doing international students first. And they're giving exceeding low offers too.

For a friend of mine, she got given BBB offer even though she's only got AABC for AS. I got given an ABB offer and a bursary of 1000 pounds coz' I'm Malaysian.

So don't worry if you haven't got your offer from Nottingham yet. I'm positive they're clearing the international students then they'll go over to getting you guys done. I haven't heard from Durham either and lots of people haven't so don't worry.

I really dont agree with the "exceedingly low offers" bit, Nottingham want me to get AAAB to study law there and I got 4x A'its at AS,thats a pretty big difference from BBB! its so unfair the way offers can vary that much! congrats with the offer though.
Reply 63
*dave*
Well done! :smile:

I havnt heard anything yet Im getting scared that Im gonna have to sit a test :s

Test for me :frown:
Reply 64
lilsunflower
English is the first language of many... and my god, the work ethic of people around me in this part of the world is astounding.

Most of the international students on my course speak to each other in another language other than English...so I guessed their first language isn't English, but I may be wrong.

I knew a girl who couldn't speak a word of English when she came in Year 10, and for A Levels she ended up with 7As. But it was A LOT of work... very admirable I say.

Definitely! It's hard enough to get seven A's when you've been speaking English all your life! That's the kind of thing I meant for here, the majority of the international students seem to do really well (meant in a non patronising way).
.NK
Most of the international students on my course speak to each other in another language other than English...so I guessed their first language isn't English, but I may be wrong.

Definitely! It's hard enough to get seven A's when you've been speaking English all your life! That's the kind of thing I meant for here, the majority of the international students seem to do really well (meant in a non patronising way).

Has everyone got their test papers through today like me for nottingham? I guess ill be meeting some of you there on the 17th of february!
.NK

Yeh, but most international students who can afford to go to the UK, or who think it economically viable to spend so much are mostly:

1. Those who are likely to excel in their studies and can grasp new languages and concepts really fast.
2. Upper middle class kids
3. Educated in a strong English-speaking environment. (I come from an international school for example which is essentially British-based)

I speak for myself and a lot of those from this part of the world when I say that most of us can converse fluently in at least 3 languages. Most people speak, say a Chinese dialect at home, English is taught across all subjects at school, and the national language, say Malay is a compulsary subject which must be passed and is also essential for employment. Lolz. Unfortunately, my Chinese and Malay are rather shoddy compared to many of my friends. Hehe.. When I get to the UK, I'll speak dialect or my home language if I don't wanna be understood by others around me. :smile:
Reply 67
lilsunflower
Yeh, but most international students who can afford to go to the UK, or who think it economically viable to spend so much are mostly:

1. Those who are likely to excel in their studies and can grasp new languages and concepts really fast.
2. Upper middle class kids
3. Educated in a strong English-speaking environment. (I come from an international school for example which is essentially British-based)

I speak for myself and a lot of those from this part of the world when I say that most of us can converse fluently in at least 3 languages. Most people speak, say a Chinese dialect at home, English is taught across all subjects at school, and the national language, say Malay is a compulsary subject which must be passed and is also essential for employment. Lolz. Unfortunately, my Chinese and Malay are rather shoddy compared to many of my friends. Hehe.. When I get to the UK, I'll speak dialect or my home language if I don't wanna be understood by others around me. :smile:

It must be sooo cool having loads of languages. I can tell you now that I wouldnt know that you were foreign if I just saw your writing.

What language do you speak to your friends in at school? English cos youre at school, or wot? It must be well wierd. Id get mixed up all the time and start mixing languages mid sentance lol
Reply 68
lilsunflower

I speak for myself and a lot of those from this part of the world when I say that most of us can converse fluently in at least 3 languages.

Eeeek! I had no idea there were places where speaking three languages was common place...no wonder people think us Brits lazy for only speaking one... :biggrin:
*dave*
It must be sooo cool having loads of languages. I can tell you now that I wouldnt know that you were foreign if I just saw your writing.

What language do you speak to your friends in at school? English cos youre at school, or wot? It must be well wierd. Id get mixed up all the time and start mixing languages mid sentance lol

Lol :smile: I speak English with my friends at school because it's my strongest language and it's best to communicate in a language common to everyone. BUT, if we're saying something mean about someone or just passing rude comments, we chatter on in whatever language/dialect suits us best. This method is not entirely foolproof though.. we once insulted someone thinking they hadn't a clue what we were on about, but they turned around and gave us the meanest look that it was beyond a doubt that she understood every word we said.

Hee.. it's quite fun

xoxo

Latest

Trending

Trending