The Student Room Group

For those on Access this year

How are you all finding it? Any dramas? Dilemmas? Anything you weren't expecting? :woo:

I'm hoping to hit uni this September and I'm doing an Access (humanities) course and finding that it's been pretty good so far.

The main problem if any that I've had is the grading for assignments with the whole pass/merit/distinction thing. All of my teachers don't quite know how to deal with it properly, the criteria is "very good" for a merit and "excellent" for a distinction...and different teachers seem to take different approaches for it at my college.

I just wondered if that was my college or if anyone else is experiencing the same? That aside, it's been an informative course so far but I do miss the full-time wages I was on before :wink:

Scroll to see replies

I've noticed that my teachers don't really know how to mark our work properly either, regarding Pass, Merit or Distinctions..... They seem so confused, it's quite a joke!

I'm doing Access to Nursing btw....
Same here. Some teachers are relatively lenient while others are strict and have never given out a distinction.
Reply 3
I'm really enjoying my course, really is great. :smile:
Reply 4
It's really good so far, bit of a breeze really though as it is designed for people who have been out of education for a while. Been getting merits and distinctions on my work, which is what I need to get in to Manchester.

There has been some confusion over the grading system but other than that it is fine.
Have had a few 'mares (none really appropriate to discuss on a public forum!) and the majority of the class is feeling a little... let down, I think, with regards to UCAS as we have about 4 offers out of nearly 16 replies so far! :s-smilie: But overall, really enjoying being back in learning and have met some great people :smile:

Had one distinction, two merits and one pass so far but not had a lot marked yet :yy:
Reply 6
i am doing access to social science and love it. i find my tutors grasp the new system pretty well and i think returning to education was the best idea i've had in years! i'm a far better adult learner than I was a teen learner :biggrin:
JoeSchmoe
How are you all finding it?...

The main problem if any that I've had is the grading for assignments with the whole pass/merit/distinction thing. All of my teachers don't quite know how to deal with it properly, the criteria is "very good" for a merit and "excellent" for a distinction...and different teachers seem to take different approaches for it at my college.

I just wondered if that was my college or if anyone else is experiencing the same? ...

I have found the same thing where I am too. I am doing an Access to Science and apparently since these changes came into effect three years ago there have been consistent complaints about just one of my subjects, whereby hardly anyone seems to get distinctions. It is much worse this year as they have done away with percentages, thereby making each subject inconsistent in how it deals with the marking of exams, essays etc.

I think it is a shame as it makes it very difficult for students to attain the grades they should as one is never sure what is expected and also for the universities who do not know how to judge the grades comparatively with A Levels especially as this is such a competitive year for places. I am sure these changes have meant that some students have lost out on their preferred university!!!! :frown:
Reply 8
I'm doing Access to Art and Design and loving it, have only been passing my assignments, but to be honest I know I haven't put the work in to earn the higher marks (last term was a bit chaotic with settling into a routine with juggling the course and young children).

However since Christmas I've upped my game and have suddenly realised how all consuming this course could become it i let it :cool:
Reply 9
I'm doing HE to science (Physics, Chemistry, Higher Maths) <--- The REAL subjects :P only joking of course

I'm loving it thus far, studying these subjects really make you realise almost how brain-dead you become when doing a 9-5 monotonous office job.

I've got an offer from my first choice uni, Leicester, choose to do astrophysics :smile: just need to wait for UCAS to update so I can see the offer requirements xD really testing my nerves.

Btw, are any of you doing physics? if so, do you feel like you're class has rushed through mechanics too? We have only been doing it for 4-5 weeks and now we have a 1hour 45minute exam, its rediculous. Whats worse is there are people in the physics class who are not doing higher maths, which is really slowing things down in class :frown: The mock exam is far far more advanced than the questions we've been doing in class.
Reply 10
I'm doing Access to Social Sciences at Birmingham Met college.

It really is a peice of piss (I actually think the course is too easy).

Got straight distinctions so far, finger cross for the London school of Economics. It's insane to think that it was only a few years ago I was a total mess, and that now (although I was rejected) I have had the confidence to apply for Cambridge.
Who2004uk
I'm doing Access to Social Sciences at Birmingham Met college.

Who2004uk
I have had the confidence to apply for Cambridge.

Does Cambridge accept Access courses?
Reply 12
Yes, it'll be very very tough for you to get in though.

Whats your aims etc?
I haven't applied for Cambridge, but I just remember when we were applying for courses through UCAS our tutor said Oxbridge didn't accept Access courses.
little pixie
I haven't applied for Cambridge, but I just remember when we were applying for courses through UCAS our tutor said Oxbridge didn't accept Access courses.

3 students who took my access course last year got offers for Cambridge and 1 student this year has received an offer to do Chemistry so it is possible - just think that the competition for places this year has made it more difficult
Reply 15
I'm thoroughly enjoying it. With exception to the Tutorial and Critical skills which, so far as I'm concerned are generally an enormous waste of time.

Critical skills less so, there have been some semi useful things come out of that, it's just so biased toward the social sciences though, granted there are very few people in our group of about 100 or so doing just sciences but still!
Reply 16
AshMcD
I'm thoroughly enjoying it. With exception to the Tutorial and Critical skills which, so far as I'm concerned are generally an enormous waste of time.

Critical skills less so, there have been some semi useful things come out of that, it's just so biased toward the social sciences though, granted there are very few people in our group of about 100 or so doing just sciences but still!

I absolutely agree with you mate, I do Physics, Chemistry and Higher Maths and tutorial just bores me to death. Whats worse is I have a 3 hour gap between my first lesson of the day and tutorial xD

Its the same with communications, me and a friend are both doing hard sciences. When we give presentations or essays, its just met with half arsed replies and confusion. Whereas some knowitall wannabe philosopher doing a speech on childhood gets a round of applause. Waste of time
Reply 17
Nebulae42
I absolutely agree with you mate, I do Physics, Chemistry and Higher Maths and tutorial just bores me to death. Whats worse is I have a 3 hour gap between my first lesson of the day and tutorial xD

Its the same with communications, me and a friend are both doing hard sciences. When we give presentations or essays, its just met with half arsed replies and confusion. Whereas some knowitall wannabe philosopher doing a speech on childhood gets a round of applause. Waste of time

Bad times dude! I originally was scheduled to have one lesson finish at 12 and my next not start until 6. Sod that!

I've a presentation to do in critical skills in the next few week. I'm calling it The Birth, Life and Death of the Universe (in eight minutes).

I'll just do what I always do and try and make it light hearted, I think the trick with those kinds of things is to try and make it humerous so even those who have no idea what you're talking about still enjoy it.

Social sciences just aren't for me. I have no issue with people doing them, just the way access courses are so geared up towards it drives me insane. When I told my tutor I wanted to do chemistry she looked at me as if I was some kind of freak.

"Wait wait, you don't want to do social work, teaching, nurshing or radiography? ARE YOU INSANE!?"
I'm doing access to social science and I LOVE it!!! :biggrin:
Me and a few on my access course at college are quite confused with the credit / grading system as some of us just need a overall pass on the course to meet the conditions of our offers for Uni's but we arent being given credits we get Pass/Merit/Distinction in our coursework and exams so i have for example from semester one obtained for my modules overall were -
2 x pass
1 x distinction
and one other module is dependant on me passing the exam resit next week

i have 1 x merit and 1 x distinction in Open Forum so far with 4 reports awaiting marking i only need to submit 7 throughout the year

and i have the lvl 2 for unit one of study skills part (with three more units at lvl 3 still to complete though one of these is almost finished)

and the long study 3000 word which i have already done 1600 words on and its not due in till May.

Latest

Trending

Trending