The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lol that 3rd option was just too tempting!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
How can you have TOO much diversity? :confused:
Reply 3
In terms of league tables they are only going to be a few places apart, both have good UK reputations. Imperial would probably have a greater international reputation, better for further study prospects particularly abroad whereas I think Durham always has had an excellent employment record in the UK for all its courses.

Imperial is in London so it is bound to be more expensive, this may be a problem, particularly if you have to rent out your own accomodation for a year. On the other hand, many people like the bright lights of the city.

Easiest way of looking at it is city v town, Durham is very small I think but it looks lovely - I will probably be going there next year, I live in london right now and want to go somewhere quieter.

Above any employment, teaching, research statistics (you're going to get a good degree and good job whereever you go if you're bright enough), just think about where you'll enjoy yourself most.

By the way, what college have you applied for at Durham? Ive got offer from st chads.
Reply 4
ah scared of the diversity...

But I would go for imperial, because I think the more you challenge your comfort zone (regarding the issue of diversity) the more enriched you will end up. You seem like a worldly person, and the IC degree is incredibly well respected in academia. Then again, so is the Durham physics dept. If you are OK and confident enough to make your own little community in a big city, rather than being 'given' a small collegiate community, then you'll be fine in London.
Reply 5
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Nothing wrong with wanting to spend 4 years of your life with people that are alike to you.. nothing racist about it! Que the PC brigade though!
Reply 7
edders
commiserations on your rejection - I know it can really p**s a person off when they have been focussed so long on Oxbridge. At least you can put it behind you, the agonising wait is over. It's great that you have come to terms with it so quickly and are now looking to your future with optimism. Now -which to go to!
You are indeed fortunate that you do not have the worry of being accepted pending exam results as your offers are unconditional. You know that whatever choice you eventually make, your academic future is secured.
You can relax and have a great Christmas - unlike those unfortunates who are still in the same position as you were yesterday (not yet knowing if they've got an offer from Cambridge) :smile:
Reply 8
I only applied to Durham out of the two because I couldn't live in London, too busy, expensive etc. I like the idea of Durham and its colleges. Both have a really good reputation - yes IC is slightly better but Durham isn't exactly your local polytech either! Go where you'll be happiest. A good degree from either will give yu all the opportunities you need.
Reply 9
edders
thanks for the replies chaps, it seems IC is winning 5-0! the diversity thing is a problem not because im racist (of course not) but i just find it a bit intimidating being surrounded by loads of different races (im just too rural lol!). plus when i visited they did seem to group along that line.

ive got unconditional offers from IC and castle college durham (im post alevel) hmmm :confused:

This is indeed a problem, and don't worry I didn't think you were racist! I feel that your observation is quite correct, there IS a lot of grouping, but it is only natural I think in that those with a shared ethnicity have lots in common if they have similar backgrounds, upbringing etc. And there is a degree of 'comfort' in having a group of people who can make food you eat at home!! However, you will find that there will undoubtedly be people who enjoy a ethnically mixed group of friends, just like people enjoy a gender balanced group of friends. Trying to see it from your viewpoint, I think I would be somewhat intimidated, but I honestly believe you will find friends (both white and non-white) in IC who will make the effort to get to know you. And remember, there's the whole of London Uni to peruse!!
Reply 10
I just couldn't stand University in London - too expensive and not much fun to be honest! Personally, I'd much prefer Campus life.

After all, it only really matters where you do your Phd...
Reply 11
James_W
Nothing wrong with wanting to spend 4 years of your life with people that are alike to you.. nothing racist about it! Que the PC brigade though!

I don't see how "race" is akin to "alike to you" necessarily but meh anyway. I personally find learning in a multinational, multicultural environment incredibly intellectually stimulating but then it’s the next four years of your life, not the next four of mine.
Reply 12
kildare
I don't see how "race" is akin to "alike to you" necessarily but meh anyway. I personally find learning in a multinational, multicultural environment incredibly intellectually stimulating but then it’s the next four years of your life, not the next four of mine.

IC has loads more international people than oxford though, you only have to look around for 5 minutes to see that.
Reply 13
Tek
I just couldn't stand University in London - too expensive and not much fun to be honest! Personally, I'd much prefer Campus life.

After all, it only really matters where you do your Phd...

hmmmmmmmm. this would be easier if id actually visited durham (gawd im stupid) before choosing it as a place i might go lol.
Reply 14
edders
IC has loads more international people than oxford though, you only have to look around for 5 minutes to see that.

Aye true, I was only talking about why I like the learning enviroment I am in at the moment so much.
Reply 15
edders
I face a dichotomy between durham and imperial college. i like them both, but which should i go to and why? both are MSci (4 years). at IC i get to spend a year in europe, which appeals to me.
i consider things like: cost, physical environment, types of student, reputation, teaching quality, academic prospects (want to do PhD), ethnic diversity (i think IC may be a bit TOO diverse?), social environment (bit cosier at durham than anonymous london?) etc.

It sounds like in your heart of hearts you really want to accept Durham but are worried that you should take IC because some think it has a higher reputation?

In all honesty, I'd say go for where you really want to live - visit Durham and see whether you like it. If you like the look of College life, go for it. It's way better to go for an environment that you will be comfortable in than one that you think might not suit you. You'll have a better time, and enjoying your university and subject is a much nicer path to a good degree than misery/slavish work because it's a course/uni you felt obligated to take.

Happy deciding =)

edit: Also, at Durham you'd get a nice mix of people doing arts and sciences, whereas Imperial would probably be lots of people doing similar courses, all with similar interests. Which would you prefer?
The Times rates Durham first equal for Physics, but Imperial is 17th, which implies that Durham is better for the subject. However Imperial probably has a marginally-higher reputation overall.... but both are excellent so I would advise just going for the one you like....
Reply 17
edders
I face a dichotomy between durham and imperial college. i like them both, but which should i go to and why? both are MSci (4 years). at IC i get to spend a year in europe, which appeals to me.
i consider things like: cost, physical environment, types of student, reputation, teaching quality, academic prospects (want to do PhD), ethnic diversity (i think IC may be a bit TOO diverse?), social environment (bit cosier at durham than anonymous london?) etc.

"(i think IC may be a bit TOO diverse?)" thats london for u m8...Imperial college haven't got a good male/female ratio but u don't need that coz ur not in middle of no where with no female form around, In London u won't have any problems in terms of meeting people and going out...so don't be put off by people saying imperial is 99.9% male and .01% female coz most people who say that aren't studying there or they got rejcted from them.
Reply 18
Alexander
The Times rates Durham first equal for Physics, but Imperial is 17th, which implies that Durham is better for the subject. However Imperial probably has a marginally-higher reputation overall.... but both are excellent so I would advise just going for the one you like....

yes id noticed that, but nearly everyone says IC is better for physics; both for the degree and for science career prospects.
Reply 19
HamaL
"(i think IC may be a bit TOO diverse?)" thats london for u m8...Imperial college haven't got a good male/female ratio but u don't need that coz ur not in middle of no where with no female form around, In London u won't have any problems in terms of meeting people and going out...so don't be put off by people saying imperial is 99.9% male and .01% female coz most people who say that aren't studying there or they got rejcted from them.

ok thanks for that... i was a bit worried about not seeing enough women. are you studying in london yourself?

Latest

Trending

Trending