The Student Room Group

Scottish University Module System

Hi, I was just wondering how the Scottish Unis' module system works. I've applied to both Edinburgh and St Andrews and am still waiting back for them.

I know that you can choose up to three subjects in your first year and then can change one in the second year, but to progress onto years three and four, you must have done the first two years in the subject.

Just a few questions about this though;
1. Do the subjects have to be related to the subject you originally applied for?
2. Do you have to meet all the entry requirements for the other subjects you choose as if it was your degree option?
3. At St Andrews I have applied for History of Art and Social Antropology. Does this count as one subject, or would this be two of my three options?

Thankyou!!!!!
Reply 1
ellenfaith
Hi, I was just wondering how the Scottish Unis' module system works. I've applied to both Edinburgh and St Andrews and am still waiting back for them.

I know that you can choose up to three subjects in your first year and then can change one in the second year, but to progress onto years three and four, you must have done the first two years in the subject.

Just a few questions about this though;
1. Do the subjects have to be related to the subject you originally applied for?
2. Do you have to meet all the entry requirements for the other subjects you choose as if it was your degree option?
3. At St Andrews I have applied for History of Art and Social Antropology. Does this count as one subject, or would this be two of my three options?

Thankyou!!!!!

Usually the subjects will be related in some way, like will all be arts or social sciences, but as long as the timetable and your tutors allow it the system is fairly flexible.

No, you don't need to meet the requirements, unless there is a pre-requisite for something. Languages you usually need to have had some experience/qualification to do anything beyond a beginner's course.

Those would count as two choices, leaving you with another free choice.
Reply 2
TheOneWho
Usually the subjects will be related in some way, like will all be arts or social sciences, but as long as the timetable and your tutors allow it the system is fairly flexible.

No, you don't need to meet the requirements, unless there is a pre-requisite for something. Languages you usually need to have had some experience/qualification to do anything beyond a beginner's course.

Those would count as two choices, leaving you with another free choice.

Oh that's excellent thankyou! :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=892298

^^^ an explaination to outside courses at Edinburgh (written by me, if you have any questions) sooooooo at Edinburgh:

1) no it doesn't - timetable and course spaces permitting you can take anything :smile:
2) yes whatever the entry requirements are for entry to first year, you need to meet them to be let on the course
3) although you've not applied for SA at Edinburgh you could take it as the lectures for HoA run directly after SA, or at least they did in my first year :smile:

Latest