The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I agree with the pope because its his business how his churrch is ran and nobody elses.
The Catholic teaching on equality seems to be something along the lines of "All humans are equal, but some are more equal than others"
I strongly disagree with the Catholic church's position on LGBT issues, but if an employer wants to spend their money hiring someone, it's their money and their choice. When you ban private discrimination you cross the line from protecting people to forcing your views onto others. No-one is entitled to any specific job.
Spinnerette
They say this but whether they do what they say us another thing. It's a bit like politics, just because they say it doesn't mean they follow through with it.

But I don't really give a toss what he thinks of it, he doesn't have a leg to stand on considering his church excommunicated that girl who was raped by her father, but kept the father in.

Oh my God when did that happen?
The Catholic teaching on equality seems to be something along the lines of "All humans are equal, but some are more equal than others"

So true. This attitude of 'pick and choose the rules to suit' might explain why religious groups demand laws that affect ALL of us be banned or changed because of their beliefs. I agree they have a right to believe what they want, but I don't agree that they have the right to impose this on others who do not. Is this not an infringement of the rights of others?
Spinnerette
They say this but whether they do what they say us another thing. It's a bit like politics, just because they say it doesn't mean they follow through with it.

But I don't really give a toss what he thinks of it, he doesn't have a leg to stand on considering his church excommunicated that girl who was raped by her father, but kept the father in.

Agreed!
Srxjer
I see where you're coming from, but, there are thousands of charities under the guise of Catholicism which this will also affect. It's not just employment of clergy etc.

So?
I pretty much agree with the pope and from the article the OP posted, he sounds quite reasonable indeed.

I am not a fan of these meaningless political notions of "equality" and "fairness". I wish I knew what they even meant (if anything).
Reply 28
burningnun
So?

These charities will also become exempt from the equality bill, allowing them to discriminate against LGBT people.

Which, will happen, as The Salvation Army have nicely demonstrated for us.
Iamarapist
Oh my God when did that happen?

A year or two ago

She was 9 years old and pregnant with twins, I think her her mother and her doctors were excommunicated for it.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1883598,00.html
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/world/6299368.html

I remmber reading an article about how her father wasn't excoummnicated but my memory is so fuzzy but it has stayed in my memory just a little. If I've got any information wrong please feel happy to correct me :smile:.
Reply 30
He's standing up for his religion. The more he does this the more respect he gets from his followers.
Srxjer
These charities will also become exempt from the equality bill, allowing them to discriminate against LGBT people.

Which, will happen, as The Salvation Army have nicely demonstrated for us.

Everyone should be exempt from the Equality Bill. What's your point?
Blah' whatever, at the end of the day the government shouldn't impose rules on the church.
As soon as you do then the church will lose more credibility that its already lose. Besides, if everyone here and the government are so backing this "equality bill" then why not get rid of faith schools?...does this apply to Mosques, Synagogues and other religious institutions?
The Pope is just expressing the views of the catholic church (as he should) and actually every single religion that will be affected.
Reply 33
burningnun
Everyone should be exempt from the Equality Bill. What's your point?

I disagree. I think people should have the right to be protected from employment discrimination.
Reply 34
burningnun
So?

There is no reason not to allow homosexuals to have administrative jobs, and the Pope's comments will be taken as an excuse not to hire them. This is not about forcing employers to hire a certain group of people, rather it is about forcing them not to impose a blanket-ban for no other reason than the individual's personal taste, and personal taste is of course a far-reaching matter, one that is irrelevant to the role required of the job and ill-reasoned to not hire because of. Clearly, if this was a matter of race, those voicing their approval for the Pope would not be as quick to do so, and in reality there is no difference between the two situation. Both groups are being discriminated for reasons which are not connected to the role required of them. Christian's have a right to their beliefs but critically, they do not have a right to infringe others.
The **** is really going to hit the fan when he comes to Blighty.
Reply 36
Hey,
Don't know if you've seen my other post, but take a look at this group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=281046424693
Gesar
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8492597.stm

What a ****. There're so many things to say about paedophilia in the church with regards to this.

How is pedophilia related to this debate? It's completely unnecessary to mention this in regards to the limitations that the proposed legislation will impose upon our faith.
Kreuzuerk
There is no reason not to allow homosexuals to have administrative jobs, and the Pope's comments will be taken as an excuse not to hire them. This is not about forcing employers to hire a certain group of people, rather it is about forcing them not to impose a blanket-ban for no other reason than the individual's personal taste, and personal taste is of course a far-reaching matter, one that is irrelevant to the role required of the job and ill-reasoned to not hire because of. Clearly, if this was a matter of race, those voicing their approval for the Pope would not be as quick to do so, and in reality there is no difference between the two situation. Both groups are being discriminated for reasons which are not connected to the role required of them. Christian's have a right to their beliefs but critically, they do not have a right to infringe others.

Actually, I can assure you, if a non-governmental organisation decided that it wished to discriminate racially in its hiring practices, I wouldn't try to force them to do otherwise with legislation, I'd simply cease dealing with them and publicly criticise their actions. A private organisation's payroll is its own affair, not yours or the governments, and as long as it isn't actively harming people, no-one has any right to interfere.
Reply 39
numb3rb0y
Actually, I can assure you, if a non-governmental organisation decided that it wished to discriminate racially in its hiring practices, I wouldn't try to force them to do otherwise with legislation, I'd simply cease dealing with them and publicly criticise their actions. A private organisation's payroll is its own affair, not yours or the governments, and as long as it isn't actively harming people, no-one has any right to interfere.

So in essence you believe that Governmental legislation was not warranted in cases of Blacks being told that they could not enter certain restaurants, for example.

Latest

Trending

Trending