The Student Room Group

Never worked before. CV help needed.

A guy told about a vacancy in a sports store, and told me to give a manager my cv. Problem is, I have only had one work experience and I can't get a reference from that store (as it's been years and i forgot everything). So is there still a chance of me getting a part time job despite not having work experience? Do stores also take into account about your academic experience?
Reply 1
It's very unlikely that somewhere like a sports store will need you to have experience (in saying that, I assume your talking about the Sports Directs, JD Sports and JJB's of the world as a pose to a Nike outlet in London). References for a part time job are pretty much unheard of - they don't care where you've come from or what your background is, labour is labour to them. Obviously it's worth putting a bit of time into a C.V for them to look at but certainly don't sweat that you can't get a reference and have past experience in retail.

What I would say though is tailor your C.V to what your applying for. If it's a sport store, don't be rambling on about your proudest moments being winning the year 7 knitting contest, make sure you mention that you have a keen interest in lots of different sports and say what it is about them sports that appeals to your personality.

I don't mind sending you one of my C.V's if you want a look at it as an example - PM if you do :smile:
Reply 2
They won't require experience for a part time job but obviously as its a sport shop they'll want you to have an interest in sports and to know a little bit about what you'll be selling but they'll obviously give you training.

Tailor your CV to show off any sports achievements and skills that will be relevant to the job. Your teacher can give you a reference.
Reply 3
Sephirona
A guy told about a vacancy in a sports store, and told me to give a manager my cv. Problem is, I have only had one work experience and I can't get a reference from that store (as it's been years and i forgot everything). So is there still a chance of me getting a part time job despite not having work experience? Do stores also take into account about your academic experience?

As the two earlier posts.

Put the work experience on as a period of employment on your CV. Use months and year, not weeks and there's no need to specify it was work experience (but explain if asked).
You shouldn't need the work reference - use an academic reference.

Play up sports knowledge, participation - how it's helped your character. Try to list several, I'd say, as long as you know those sports.

If your grades are good, you could list them - most employers don't care that much, as long as you have passes in English and maths.

At an interview today, I was told I wasn't considered for a picker/packer position because I was overqualified (GCSEs and A-levels) - the other position was for a sales advisor/customer service (same application form) - I would rather have done the first position, to be honest (more hours, overtime, easy but physical work as opposed to potentially prattling people etc.).

Good idea to have at least one skills section on your CV, where you list key skills for employment, e.g. friendly and comfortable in talking with people of all ages.
You could have more than one (maybe not ending with 'skills' though) - maybe IT skills and communication/languages, where you'd list computer skills and languages you spoke etc. respectively.

Remember that everyone starts with virtually zero work experience and it's even more likely in the position you're interested in.
A teacher should be able to write a reference for you.

Make sure you emphasise all of the transferrable skills you have i.e. teamwork.

Latest