The Student Room Group

Is psychology a weak a-level subject?

Hi, im choosing my options for sixth form at the moment.
Im doing chemistry, biology, spanish and either psychology or history.
I've heard from a few people that psychology is seen by universities as too weak an a-level for veterinary medicine, is this true?
Cambridge is the one that people have told me about not liking it, but all the other 6 uni's just say that it doesnt matter. However, i think that maybe thats just a cover over their view?
So, is it weak? i would want to do physics, but i hate maths, and i know a-level physics is extremely demanding without doing maths as well.
Thanks, Greg
..Greg..
I've heard from a few people that psychology is seen by universities as too weak an a-level for veterinary medicine, is this true?
Cambridge is the one that people have told me about not liking it, but all the other 6 uni's just say that it doesnt matter. However, i think that maybe thats just a cover over their view?
So, is it weak? i would want to do physics, but i hate maths, and i know a-level physics is extremely demanding without doing maths as well.Thanks, Greg

I do Maths and Physics and very little (one or two mechanics topics, but mechanics is optional) Maths I've done comes up in Physics, so IMO go for Physics if it's what you want to do.
I don't think it's as respected as subjects like History,Geography or Lit.
But it's not blacklisted like photography and media either,it's kind of inbetween.

I can't help you with the Physics I'm afraid :smile:
Reply 3
Psychology isn't weak, and if it's something you feel you'd enjoy definately do it. There's nothing worse than having all your a level subjects as obligatory ones for your course. i say definately go for it; it's the most interesting subject i've done! x
Reply 4
Yes... In comparison to history its very weak.. You have a great selection of sciences, I think an 'art' subject like history would be a good balance.. :smile:
Reply 5
It has scientific elements in the course - you learn about lots of experiments conducted by psychologists, you are told what elements of psychology are scientific and what are not and learn about the brain and neurology (relevant for vetinary science). History is more respected but psychology is more relevant.
Reply 6
It depends on what course you want to study; if you're keen to pursue Psychology at Higher Level then it would not be considered weak, but if you are doing something like Maths, then it could be argued it can be seen as 'weak'.
Reply 7
I think its actaully respected.
Psychology is a little (just a little) on the soft side, but I doubt it would cripple your application or anything like that.
Reply 9
i wouldnt say its weak as its technically classed as a science. having said that, it really depends on what course you want to do and what the requirements of that course are. i imagine vetenary science would prefer physics but equally u have biology and chemistry there which are very good A levels. i took pyschology as an "easy option" rather than biology cause i can get on the course i want with it and, for me, its worked out as a good choice. its a lot of stuff to remember but i wouldnt say its a hard subject at all
I heard that it's considered a little 'soft', but not as soft as something like Media Studies of Film.
Reply 11
it's rubbish and loads to remember. my teacher was crap though
Reply 12
..Greg..
So, is it weak? i would want to do physics, but i hate maths, and i know a-level physics is extremely demanding without doing maths as well.
Thanks, Greg

If you're intending to drop it at AS anyway I don't think it matters too much. However, when it comes to Veterinary Medicine you need to remember that it is one of, if not the, most competitive courses out there, and doing three science/maths subjects is the norm and you want to make yourself as desirable to the universities as possible. This might not be entirely correct (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but I think they all usually offer AAB (A*AA at Cambs and AAA at RVC) to include Biology and Chemistry (usually at A, except for Liverpool and Bristol which don't specific which the A grade needs to be in). Most of them say 'any other academic subject' (except the Scottish unis and Cambridge who want the third subject to be physics/maths?) but I'm not sure Psychology would necessarily count? Your best bet is to phone the universities you want to apply to and ask them directly.

Sorry that was very poorly worded.
Reply 13
Don't bother doing Psychology, also it's not really a science. It's often referred to as a "fuzzy" science, meaning it's not highly regarded unless you were going to continue the subject to degree level. As long as you have bio and chem you'll be fine (Y).
you mention cambridge- they want you to have maths or physics at least to AS and i found physics fine without maths (to A2) but those who did maths with mechanics found parts of the course very easy as you cover it in more detail in mechanics. If you are getting an A/A* at GCSE maths you should be ok with physics especially to AS
Reply 15
Hey OP, I'm in first year at the RVC doing Veterinary Medicine, I think psychology would be fine as a fourth A level.
When I was in 6th form I did bio,chem,german and physics for AS, dropping physics for A Level as I found it too hard/boring. I wasn't good at maths either, and found AS physics quite hard, but if you put a lot of effort in you should be fine with it.
History is very heavy on content at A Level too, so you might find it easier going with psychology.
No :dry:
I wouldn't say it's soft at all. There's practically a theory/study/comparison/evaluation you have to know for everything; I've never been able to learn all the theories as thoroughly as I was supposed to. So really, just the vast amount you have to remember for the exams is what makes it difficult. Plus most of it's nonsense, which just makes it harder to take in. Hence why it's my worst subject. :rolleyes:
Apart from that it's not as respected as the other subjects you're considering, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Latest

Trending

Trending