The Student Room Group

From Commerce To Classics?

I finished my Bachelors in Commerce (Account & Finance related subjects) from India in 2008, and have been working in related fields for the past 2 years. All my experience has shown me is that this is not the field I am interested in, and I finally have the finances to sponsor myself an education.

I have always had an interest in literature and writing, but my participation in journal editing and competitions through school and college is the only prior experience I have in this. I figured I might be suited for a degree in either the classics or english literature, as this has always been a dream of mine that went unfulfilled due to family expectations.

I understand that entry into literature courses is highly competitive. I would like some input on what kind of combined bachelors-and-masters programmes are available in Classics. I have been even considering doing a second undergraduate degree, as I am not interested in a post-graduate course related to my background, and any PG course in these subjects has prerequisites my background will not satisfy. With this second route, though, I have some worries about being too old for an undergrad, and also being an Indian.

I am currently in a job that pays very well but is not a feasible long-term career. I am looking at admissions for Sept/Oct 2011. Any related or additional input/advice is solicited and most welcome!

Latest