The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lulope
So my prelims on Monday and I'm staring to realise I know very little.

So how's everyone finding the course? I'm shocked at just how much there is to learn! :eek3:

There is a lot to learn and the questions cover a wide range of topics but once you know the facts the past paper questions are all very similar. Just watch your timing as that tends to catch a few people out.

Good luck with the prelim! :smile:
Reply 2
I dropped geog this year ( got a 1 in SG) but am planning on picking it up again next year, is it hard?
Reply 3
CT_Scan
I dropped geog this year ( got a 1 in SG) but am planning on picking it up again next year, is it hard?

Just like any subject it depends on the individual as one person might find it really easy whereas someone else might struggle all year. If you enjoy the subject it's going to be easier especially as there is alot of information but on the whole the topics are fairly straight forward and the most challenging would be atmosphere.

You've got SG so I can't see any problems you'd have and many people crash it anyway. :smile: Pick sa subject you enjoy/have an interest in as your more likely to do well in it.
I had my prelim today.
It went not too badly.
Formation of an oxbow lake came up, I didn't revise that! :eek3: Typical! :rolleyes:
Just make sure you cover EVERYTHING, at least in a little bit of detail :p: and concentrate on things that are definitely going to come up, e.g. lithosphere and factors/eradication of malaria (if you do RLR and D&H that is :p: )
Reply 5
some please help me on the urban and atmoshere topic :frown:
stefany-a

I can help with urban, but I've not done the atmosphere topic yet.
I should really be forgetting about geog as it's been and gone :p: but I'll help anyway :p:

What would you like to know about urban?
Reply 7
stefany-a

Just post whatever your struggling with and people will be probably more than willing to help. :smile: I've already done the higher course so can help with any topic.
Reply 8
rosie9391
Just post whatever your struggling with and people will be probably more than willing to help. :smile: I've already done the higher course so can help with any topic.

Could you possible explain to me how a Rouche Moutonnee forms and the difference between it and a drumlin?:confused: My notes are rather lacking here.
I only have tomorrow and Monday to study for this prelim, I spent today recovering from Modern and Business yesterday :facepalm2:
Lulope
Could you possible explain to me how a Rouche Moutonnee forms and the difference between it and a drumlin?:confused: My notes are rather lacking here.

Roche Moutonnée: They are resistant, tear-drop shaped, rocky hillocks commonly found in glacial eroded terrain. Shaped by the passing of a glacier giving a smooth up-ice side and a rough, plucked surface on the down-ice side with a truncated end. They also demonstrate the direction of the glacial ice flow by roughly alligning parallel. The streamlined appearance of the stoss (upstream part) is the product of abrasion by ice embedded stones. As it is worn away, striations are frequently incised into it's upstream surface. The lee side (down stream part) is rough and craggy from plucking. Glacial meltwater melts slighty by pressure and seeps into cracks/fractures, when the water refreezes, the rock is attached to the glacier and eventually ripped away from the landform as it continues to move. It is subject to frost shattering. Draw the diagram.

Main difference is that the side profile of the roche is opposite to a drumlin... the steep side in a drumlin is facing the approaching glacier, rather than trailing it. Roche: Resistant rock smooth one side with plucked crags downstream whereas the Drumlin is smooth and are features of glacial till deposits.

Hope that makes sense. :s-smilie:
Has anyone sat their prelim for this yet? Mine is tomorrow :ninja:
Reply 12
ArcadiaHouse
Has anyone sat their prelim for this yet? Mine is tomorrow :ninja:

Ours was today. Paper one was pretty bad, paper two was alright.
Lulope

How bad was pretty bad? As in bad question or timing? I bet it went good though. :yep:
Reply 14
rosie9391
How bad was pretty bad? As in bad question or timing? I bet it went good though. :yep:

It's geography. Of course the timing was bad. :biggrin: It was mainly the questions. They wanted stuff like 8 marks for formation of a spit and I just dunno if I got enough down for the marks.
Lulope

You'll be fine :biggrin: I've spent all day re-writing notes and diagrams, so I hope I don't draw a blank tomorrow with all that info I've shoved in my brain today. :frown:

Think I'll spend one more hour looking stuff over then I'll sleep. :ninja:
Reply 16
Lulope
It's geography. Of course the timing was bad. :biggrin: It was mainly the questions. They wanted stuff like 8 marks for formation of a spit and I just dunno if I got enough down for the marks.

There was an 18 mark question about soil on our paper... :shifty:

I think mine went all right... paper 2 was better than paper one, though. I missed out most of the marks for the question on farming. :frown:
Reply 17
ArcadiaHouse
You'll be fine :biggrin: I've spent all day re-writing notes and diagrams, so I hope I don't draw a blank tomorrow with all that info I've shoved in my brain today. :frown:

Think I'll spend one more hour looking stuff over then I'll sleep. :ninja:

You'll have done fine. (: How was it?

Thankfully quite a bit of mine just came into my brain in the exam.

derekp
There was an 18 mark question about soil on our paper... :shifty:

I think mine went all right... paper 2 was better than paper one, though. I missed out most of the marks for the question on farming. :frown:

We've not done biosphere or the farming unit yet. And we didn't have any questions worth more than 10 marks in Paper one.
Lulope
You'll have done fine. (: How was it?

Thankfully quite a bit of mine just came into my brain in the exam.

I think it went really well, thanks. :biggrin: Everything I wanted to come up, did come up - even if I couldn't remember all of the marks for some of them :facepalm2: I kept asking for more paper, which is always a good thing. :biggrin: The first half of paper two was pretty bad, but the second half was fine, so overall I'd say it's a victory. Hoping for a B. :puppyeyes:
Reply 19
am just going to use the marking scheme as notes now

Latest

Trending

Trending