Reply 21
Nonie No
Oh! One of those is still a 'live' NAB!::eek:

SQA!

Really? :colone:

I mean, that's terrible...

EDIT: Link removed on grounds of fairness :smile:
Reply 22
I got my writing marks from the prelim back on friday, 15/25 and 17/25, I had good analysis in both essays which were relevent but was it the other factors which prevented me to get higher marks like in the 20's. And which other factor determines loss of marks, is it for example evaluation and personal response not being clear enough or weak topic sentences?
Reply 23
Z_Ahmed
I got my writing marks from the prelim back on friday, 15/25 and 17/25, I had good analysis in both essays which were relevent but was it the other factors which prevented me to get higher marks like in the 20's. And which other factor determines loss of marks, is it for example evaluation and personal response not being clear enough or weak topic sentences?

Well, they're marked on Understanding, Anaylsis, Evaluation and Expression, so you're better off asking your teacher for some feedback :smile:.
Reply 24
LuhLah
no you're not, remember if you don't know the answer, just bull-**** it and back it up, they can't say it's wrong :awesome:

nope, chemistry lol

yeah, thats very true. I once got a mark for saying the cloud symbolises the narrator's scattered emotions :biggrin:
I got all my prelim marks back on friday. Got 38/50 in my close reading so was quite chuffed with that :smile: And got 13/25 & 15/25 in my essays, doing the usual storytelling and irrelevance! Although my target was a C5 and i got a B3 so overall pretty pleased :biggrin:
Reply 26
matthew93
I got all my prelim marks back on friday. Got 38/50 in my close reading so was quite chuffed with that :smile: And got 13/25 & 15/25 in my essays, doing the usual storytelling and irrelevance! Although my target was a C5 and i got a B3 so overall pretty pleased :biggrin:

woah, well done!
That would scrape an A2 on the day if the cut-offs stay to form:smile:
jackwka
woah, well done!
That would scrape an A2 on the day if the cut-offs stay to form:smile:

Cheeeers brainbox. You sat your prelims?
Reply 28
Failed my practice TA by two marks!!! Gutted. It was on the doll's house...argh

I handed in my practice prelim close reading and she emailed me saying I did quite well, so that's :woo:able!!

Is anyone else doing Streetcar? :lolwut: My teacher always goes on about sex in streetcar, and then tells digusting sex jokes and her favourite penis size :lolwut: She's like 100 :s-smilie:

Critical Essay: "A poem normally explores an intense emotional expierence. Choose one such poem and examine the techniques used to illustrate the significance of the expierence which gave rise to the poem."

I'm thinking visiting hour! :awesome:
Reply 29
matthew93
Cheeeers brainbox. You sat your prelims?

No first one is 2 weeks today, english funilly enough :P
I'm REALLY dreading it, but i'm ready to go with my other four subjects :biggrin:
Reply 30
I'm thinking English has been okay so far... 29/30 on my Textual Analysis NAB, aced my Personal Study and my writing piece was fine.

I got 45/50 on my practice close reading too. The prelim was okay, I think... but every time I say that, I end up failing. So fingers crossed :biggrin:

(All of my classmates (and also my teacher) are expecting me to get an A... hopefully I don't let them down :frown:)
Reply 31
Major boost in confidence today: 43/50 for an old P&N close reading, and 13 for two essays...69 marks...would that be an A? :awesome:
LuhLah
would that be an A? :awesome:

Yup. The boundary last year was 65, which I think is quite high for English.
Reply 33
Pedrobear
Yup. The boundary last year was 65, which I think is quite high for English.

Woah. Ahhh, only if that were my real exam :p:
jackwka
No first one is 2 weeks today, english funilly enough :P
I'm REALLY dreading it, but i'm ready to go with my other four subjects :biggrin:

You'll be alright, as long as you study! Whats the other 4?
I went into one of my critical essays (drama) praying for key scene,but it didn't come up! So i had to use quotes from only the one scene to describe the whole play! :eek:
Reply 35
Oooh goody, another Higher English thread! :smile:

I have my prelim on Monday and feeling very worried. My teacher is good, but I feel that he hasn't prepared us very well. I'm pretty useless at English, and he keeps letting me off lightly!

Will have to wait and see how it goes I think.
Reply 36
English is a pain what are the grade boundaries ?
Reply 37
stefany-a
English is a pain what are the grade boundaries ?

They vary from year to year, but generally it's 70%> for an A.
Reply 38
Poor peeps who are sitting higher english next year have to do a folio on top of all the NABs/exams...bless.
Reply 39
LuhLah
They vary from year to year, but generally it's 70%> for an A.

Hasn't been above 70 for a LONG time. The past three years it has been 65%, and was even lower 4 years ago, so will likely stay to form this year at 65% for an A.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending