The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
This table puts Leicester University in 4th place for Biosciences (I'm not sure if that's the same as 'Biomedical Sciences' but you can decide): http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2009/may/12/university-guide-biosciences

Leicester University is the place where DNA fingerprinting was invented. It also has a hand in Leicester's space centre. It's not a place to be under-rated in the sciences. It also ranks especially highly for Mathematics.

Also- Leicester is quite a green place indeed. Firstly, the halls of residences in Oadby, purpose built blocks built around Edwardian houses, are surely some of the traditonally grand looking in the UK and there is a botanical garden (a relative rarity in a university) and tennis courts there. Also, the campus (which is pleasingly compact on a single campus), has parkland at its back. It's not big lakes and sweeping valleys kind of parkland but it is a nice piece of greenery. The architecture on the Leicester campus is confidently diverse and harmonious.

Of course Leicester may have a bit of an identity problem for some people, due to it not being an ancient university, a REALLY old redbrick nor a 60s generation university (even though it has some of the most distinct 60s generation architecture). But that's part of its charm. Like Newcastle University (which was originally part of University of Durham) it was originally part of another university (University of London) before becoming its own university.

The Engineering building and, to the right, Library.

The Mathematics Building

The Fielding Johnson Building

The lovely 1950s Percy Gee building, used for the students union.

Not forgetting the Brutalist majesty of the Charles Wilson and Attenborough buildings, as can be seen in this picture:

Reply 21
cloudkid
For biomedical sciences,

Would like to get transferred to / reapply as a postgraduate to dentistry after my biomedical degree but don't know which to choose..

For me, I wanna go out sometimes but I like living in a green peaceful uni which is why i liek warwick ( biomedical bbb).
Warwick is also more prestigious.. if you say you go to warwick it makes you more emplayable..

manchester ( life sciences aac) has more activities and stuff you can get involved and i like sports, and i liek the uni itself too, but it's just so big and don't know how much i like feelin like an ant there ..

leicester, i've not seen but heard it has high crime rates.. but i really liek the course there ( medical physiology, abb )

does anyone have any advice on which i should choose as my choice / insurance.

predicted aac , aiming for aaa

same boat as you mate, but according to the times, manchester is 7th, warwick is 15th and leicster is 14th, so its really up to you, what r u thinking, and why will u reject the others?
Reply 22
Mr Fish
same boat as you mate, but according to the times, manchester is 7th, warwick is 15th and leicster is 14th, so its really up to you, what r u thinking, and why will u reject the others?

not been to see leicester but heard that there is a gang problem on campus as well as around with the asians there.. but i think that's just generalising.

manchester, i loved the whole feel of it, but am worried i'll be so insignificant in such a large place.
but at least if i do really well ill get transferred to / finish and go into dentistry <3

warwick, didnt seem to stand out to me at all. the only reason i considered it was because its so prestigious.

think ill go for manchester, they have amazing oportunities and lots of contacts, i might just choose manch as my only one, to show them i really wanna go there.

Mr. Fish, what uni's you applied to? where you thinking of going?
Reply 23
cloudkid
not been to see leicester but heard that there is a gang problem on campus as well as around with the asians there.. but i think that's just generalising.

manchester, i loved the whole feel of it, but am worried i'll be so insignificant in such a large place.
but at least if i do really well ill get transferred to / finish and go into dentistry <3

warwick, didnt seem to stand out to me at all. the only reason i considered it was because its so prestigious.

think ill go for manchester, they have amazing oportunities and lots of contacts, i might just choose manch as my only one, to show them i really wanna go there.

Mr. Fish, what uni's you applied to? where you thinking of going?

well warwicks not really renowned for its science reputaion, more so for its social sciences etc. i kinda withdrew from my other two unis' made a big mistake choosing them, but its kinda come down to , manchester newcastle and st georges.

manchester has a great city and a great vibe, and i dont mind getting lost in the whole thing lol. its got great faciltes, and is very high in the league tabl;es, around the likes of UCL etc so is very good for biomed, once quoted as becoming a 'premier site for the biomedical sciences'. it got 96% in its satisfaction. BUT i do wnna transfer to medicince, and st georges biomed is very clinical and they have that 3rd transfer to med school so thats appealing. But i really wanna go manchester, i know people who are rejecting offers from kings college etc to go do sciences at mancehster, but the only thing holding me bk is the fact my parents want me to stay in london and go st georges, even though manchesters one of the best in the country!
Reply 24
Mr Fish
well warwicks not really renowned for its science reputaion, more so for its social sciences etc. i kinda withdrew from my other two unis' made a big mistake choosing them, but its kinda come down to , manchester newcastle and st georges.

manchester has a great city and a great vibe, and i dont mind getting lost in the whole thing lol. its got great faciltes, and is very high in the league tabl;es, around the likes of UCL etc so is very good for biomed, once quoted as becoming a 'premier site for the biomedical sciences'. it got 96% in its satisfaction. BUT i do wnna transfer to medicince, and st georges biomed is very clinical and they have that 3rd transfer to med school so thats appealing. But i really wanna go manchester, i know people who are rejecting offers from kings college etc to go do sciences at mancehster, but the only thing holding me bk is the fact my parents want me to stay in london and go st georges, even though manchesters one of the best in the country!

i live in hemel hempstead, which is just outside of london ( north ) and my parents really wanted me to go into london too, but i only applied at unis at least 50 miles away for that reason.. they'd want me to live at home ( to save money, etc. but no no :smile: )
I heard manchester allows transfers from biomed to medicine and dentistry but only to those gettting like over 90% in the first year, depending on what spaces are available soo :smile:

I think i'll just put manch down as my only one, just because i don't really see myself going anywhere else, manch is like london, in soo many ways! even driving through it !

so it's perfect for me, as long as i'm away from home :biggrin:
al least going to manchester, you'd be on the same course as people who may genuenly be interested in the subject and not only trying to get into medicine, whereas at st. george's, if everyone was striving to get onto medicine, tough times :/

best of luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending