The Student Room Group
Reply 1
UGeNe
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/02/04/haiti.arrests/index.html

In all seriously, Haiti was and still is a ********. What chance do these kids have if they grow up in Haiti?

If I was poor and truly loved my child, I would give him or her up for adoption to an American family. It's the only logical thing to do.

I'd rather live in squalor than with a Christian missionary family.
The problem is they're doing this entire thing illegally. How is it that different from human trafficking (and all the unpleasant consequences thereof)?
Reply 3
paddy
I'd rather live in squalor than with a Christian missionary family.

...Atheists don't seem to care enough to adopt
Reply 4
Deadly Lightshade
The problem is they're doing this entire thing illegally. How is it that different from human trafficking?

Human trafficking happens for entirely different reasons:

Slavery, Prostitution, Organ Harvesting...

You get the difference now?
Reply 5
UGeNe
...Atheists don't seem to care enough to adopt

Maybe they would prefer not to get caught up in people trafficking.

UGeNe

Human trafficking is human trafficking irrespective of reason or "moral high-ground".

Oh and human trafficking in the sense of kidnapping children to "give up for adoption" (i.e. sell) already exists, only it's apparently now OK if there was a natural disaster:rolleyes:
Reply 6
There were reports ( according to Sky news) that some of the parents actually wanted their kids to go to America as they knew they would have a better life there than in Haiti.
Reply 7
Annie72
There were reports ( according to Sky news) that some of the parents actually wanted their kids to go to America as they knew they would have a better life there than in Haiti.

Makes you wonder why they would have kids in the first place tbh.
Reply 8
paddy
Maybe they would prefer not to get caught up in people trafficking.

Human trafficking is human trafficking irrespective of reason or "moral high-ground".

Oh and human trafficking in the sense of kidnapping children to "give up for adoption" (i.e. sell) already exists, only it's apparently now OK if there was a natural disaster:rolleyes:

It easy to be on the moral high ground when you live in a rich developed country.

Isn't it?
UGeNe

Except human trafficking is consented to based on giving the individuals/parents hope of a better life abroad. This is exactly what the missionaries are doing.

We haven't ascertained what these missionaries are going to do with these kids - they lied that they were orphaned; there's no guarantee the kids would be brought up properly; there's no guarantee they could reconnect with their parents if they so chose; and the kids don't have American citizenship or any sort of independence.

The missionaries are taking advantage of the desperation in Haiti to separate children from their parents - not orphans, not children in desparate need of medical attention.... in fact, as far as I read, the families weren't even among the worst affected.
Reply 10
paddy

I don't think when they had kids they planned on there own cities collapsing?

You know, hindsight is a bitch.
Reply 11
paddy

Don't the Irish have tons of kids for Religious Reasons?

Didn't the Potato famine cause them to mass migrate to another continent...just saying
Reply 12
Rucklo
I don't think when they had kids they planned on there own cities collapsing?

You know, hindsight is a bitch.

I wasn't talking about the destruction. The person I was replying to implied that parents thought their children wouldn't have had a good life in Haiti regardless of the earthquake and I was wondering why have children if you live in a ****-hole :dontknow:
Reply 13
flugestuge
:ditto:
A lot of Christian priests are pedophiles.
Why would Christian missionaries be any different ?
Being molested in the USA is worse than living in Haiti.

And some cops are corrupt, so I shouldn't trust any of them. :mad:
Reply 14
UGeNe
Don't the Irish have tons of kids for Religious Reasons?

Didn't the Potato famine cause them to mass migrate to another continent...just saying

Er no.

I can see how those things are directly related to me or this argument:rolleyes:

Troll fail.
Reply 15
paddy
Er no.

I can see how those things are directly related to me or this argument:rolleyes:

Troll fail.

Lessons from history are fair game. How else will we learn anything?

I'd rather live in squalor than with a Christian missionary family. This doesn't sound troll'ish in the least.
When John Travolta went over there he took Scientology friends of his, preachers of sorts.

I bet that thrilled the Haitians
Reply 17
UGeNe
Lessons from history are fair game. How else will we learn anything?

I'd rather live in squalor than with a Christian missionary family. This doesn't sound troll'ish in the least.

Lessons that are related maybe:rolleyes:

And that's my own personal opinion bolded there, but that's just me prefering to live in poverty and free rather than in relative opulence with the crappy bible being shoved down my throat :dontknow:

Latest