The Student Room Group

Stupid GCSE predictions

Hello, I'm new to the forums, yet I am currently very worried and stressed at the moment and would like advice. I am currently in Y11 and I am studying my GCSEs at a state school in the north-west. It is a complete crud of a school, and in the most recent rankings (I wont tell you which position because you'll know which school I go to, information I do not wish to disclose) it was ranked towards the VERY low end of the tables. Infact my headmistress was fired and replaced with one of those special improvement headteachers.

Anyway I do not not think had I gone to a different school my grades would be different. As my grades are actually very good. I've acheived A*s (any module/mocks/coursework), in all but the subject of french (which I still hope to acheive an A/A*) - and I intend to move to manchester when I leave school, and have applied to go to a very good school. (Father = lives in manchester).

But the one thing that's holding me back is my predicted grades. My predicted grades are Bs and Cs, and even one D. Infact the only As I got predicted were in geography and maths, completely stupid compared to my ahceivements so far. I told my form tutor, and she replied "It's what's on the system". My dad rang up the school, they said there was nothing they could do - and we've even spoken to the Local Education Authority. With absoloute no prevail.

It is the most stressful thing that has ever happened in my life. I wouldn't give a **** If it was not for me applying to a new school, (It is very selective), and my predicted grades will of course hinder my application. My brother suggested I send off some of my coursework or something (One of my english essays gained 100%, first time In 8 years at my school). Yet I seriously doubt that this will be any good.

Perhaps you can offer other advice? I've seriously lost all respect for my school, and the only reason I feel less priviledged than someone who goes to a "good" school is because of the way the school runs themselves and predicts student's grades, and not because of teaching quality or pushing students harder. Both things I've had to do myself. Thanks,

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
1. calm down

2. GCSE predictions? are you kidding? i didn even have any. all i had was "minimum target grade" which was a B for me in science - there was never any doubt i would not get an A*.

so really, just dont give a crap about them, and do your revision.

ps i didn read past "very worried and stressed". so if my response is stupid with regards to the rest of OP i apologise.
Reply 2
Are these predicted grades from mocks?

The reason I ask is that at my Secondary School they marked the mock exams a grade or two lower in order to motivate students into revising harder.

Even then, predicted grades aren't everything. If you've got those high grades in modules and coursework, those should certainly help you in your school transfer.
Prediction system is **** tbh :|

What grades did you achieve in year 10 exams/courseworks? Maybe you could put those forward and hopefully they'll see you can do better than B/C/Ds.
Reply 4
It's a tricky situation, but perhaps bring examples of your work to sixth form interviews?

And if you are a straight A student, a reference from your teachers will let your chosen college know.

Good Luck.
Reply 5
I'm not sure about your situation for certain, but I think that sending coursework would be a very good idea and wonder whether you've got some module results (since actual results will be more important than predicted grades) that you can show the new school. Also does the school interview or can you organise a talk with the head of sixth form or similar? I know my school interviews every potential candidate so maybe that'll give you an oportunity to shine.

The best thing to do, imo, is just explain what you've said here to the school and provide some evidence that you're being honest, and see what happens.

Good luck
Reply 6
danny111
1. calm down

2. GCSE predictions? are you kidding? i didn even have any. all i had was "minimum target grade" which was a B for me in science - there was never any doubt i would not get an A*.

so really, just dont give a crap about them, and do your revision.

ps i didn read past "very worried and stressed". so if my response is stupid with regards to the rest of OP i apologise.

That's exactly the same for me. I was predicted a B, and yet A*s in all of the modules because it's piss easy. Like I said I wouldn't give a crap If I was just going to college. Yet I am moving to a different town, and applying a good school which is very competitive for external applicants. They will of course look at predicted grades and it's just so stupid I have to put down grades that do not at all reflect on my work or ability.
MuseStarlight
Hello, I'm new to the forums, yet I am currently very worried and stressed at the moment and would like advice. I am currently in Y11 and I am studying my GCSEs at a state school in the north-west. It is a complete crud of a school, and in the most recent rankings (I wont tell you which position because you'll know which school I go to, information I do not wish to disclose) it was ranked towards the VERY low end of the tables. Infact my headmistress was fired and replaced with one of those special improvement headteachers.

Anyway I do not not think had I gone to a different school my grades would be different. As my grades are actually very good. I've acheived A*s (any module/mocks/coursework), in all but the subject of french (which I still hope to acheive an A/A*) - and I intend to move to manchester when I leave school, and have applied to go to a very good school. (Father = lives in manchester).

But the one thing that's holding me back is my predicted grades. My predicted grades are Bs and Cs, and even one D. Infact the only As I got predicted were in geography and maths, completely stupid compared to my ahceivements so far. I told my form tutor, and she replied "It's what's on the system". My dad rang up the school, they said there was nothing they could do - and we've even spoken to the Local Education Authority. With absoloute no prevail.

It is the most stressful thing that has ever happened in my life. I wouldn't give a **** If it was not for me applying to a new school, (It is very selective), and my predicted grades will of course hinder my application. My brother suggested I send off some of my coursework or something (One of my english essays gained 100%, first time In 8 years at my school). Yet I seriously doubt that this will be any good.

Perhaps you can offer other advice? I've seriously lost all respect for my school, and the only reason I feel less priviledged than someone who goes to a "good" school is because of the way the school runs themselves and predicts student's grades, and not because of teaching quality or pushing students harder. Both things I've had to do myself. Thanks,

Predictions mean nothing, seriously! There's no reason to be worried at all.

I went to a **** comprehensive in Manchester and I came out with 7 A*s, 4 As and a B despite being 'predicted' all lower grades because my parents didn't go to university.

Are you applying to MGS by any chance?
Reply 8
MuseStarlight
That's exactly the same for me. I was predicted a B, and yet A*s in all of the modules because it's piss easy. Like I said I wouldn't give a crap If I was just going to college. Yet I am moving to a different town, and applying a good school which is very competitive for external applicants. They will of course look at predicted grades and it's just so stupid I have to put down grades that do not at all reflect on my work or ability.

oh i see your problem.

maybe ask one or two teachers you know like you, write you some references and maybe even explaining thats its autmated predicted grades and you are capable of much more.
Reply 9
bbbbbb
Reply 10
Do you live in Manchester? Is it a private school/college your applying for r just a a very good state school. Anyway, they're ONLY your Predicted grades and come the results day you'll probably achieve the grades you actually getting. I've got Predicted grades ranging from A*-B, and have been offered places in a REALLY good sixth form ( I know it is conditional offer). Secondly, have you passed the interview proccess for your college? The colleges that i Have applied for have done the interviews all but two lol. I don't think they ask for Mock results, but you can bring up the fact that you got A*/A's in them regarding your predicted grades. Are your target grades high?

Regards, Kmaster

P.S- I was probably of NO help lol, GOOD LUCK!!
Reply 11
TheMeister
Predictions mean nothing, seriously! There's no reason to be worried at all.

I went to a **** comprehensive in Manchester and I came out with 7 A*s, 4 As and a B despite being 'predicted' all lower grades because my parents didn't go to university.

Are you applying to MGS by any chance?

Unfortunately no. I had a look, and when I saw it was fee-paying I just decided it was a no-brainer. I'm not aloud to apply for a bursary because my father's income bracket is larger than £200,000, and he won't pay. But it doesn't matter about the school I don't think.
Reply 12
Lucky they count for absolutely nothing then. Nevertheless, go to your head of year and inform them you think they're unrepresentative of your ability and work to date and also write a letter to the school you are applying to apprising them of the situation. Say, it's school policy. But, why would they even know your predictions? I doubt that they directly liaise with your current school.
MuseStarlight
Unfortunately no. I had a look, and when I saw it was fee-paying I just decided it was a no-brainer. I'm not aloud to apply for a bursary because my father's income bracket is larger than £200,000, and he won't pay. But it doesn't matter about the school I don't think.

Well it can't be that great of a sixth form or college you're applying to (and by extension, their requirements can't therefore be that high) - I mean, the rest are pretty ****; unless, of course, you're Jewish and applying to KD. :p:

Or maybe you're applying to places in Trafford and I'm completely missing the point here.
Reply 14
Kmaster
Do you live in Manchester? Is it a private school/college your applying for r just a a very good state school. Anyway, they're ONLY your Predicted grades and come the results day you'll probably achieve the grades you actually getting. I've got Predicted grades ranging from A*-B, and have been offered places in a REALLY good sixth form ( I know it is conditional offer). Secondly, have you passed the interview proccess for your college? The colleges that i Have applied for have done the interviews all but two lol. I don't think they ask for Mock results, but you can bring up the fact that you got A*/A's in them regarding your predicted grades. Are your target grades high?

Regards, Kmaster

P.S- I was probably of NO help lol, GOOD LUCK!!

I dont live in Manchester, but I'm moving there. It's not a private school, but yes a very good state school. The interview Is in march. School has issued prediction, but nothing about target grades. I would not imagine they are any different for a stupid school like mine. Yet I have ambitions for alot higher than they have issued me,
Reply 15
TheMeister
Well it can't be that great of a sixth form or college you're applying to (and by extension, their requirements can't therefore be that high) - I mean, the rest are pretty ****; unless, of course, you're Jewish and applying to KD. :p:

Or maybe you're applying to places in Trafford and I'm completely missing the point here.

Yes, it's in Trafford. Funny how you know that.
Reply 16
Kreuzuerk
Lucky they count for absolutely nothing then. Nevertheless, go to your head of year and inform them you think they're unrepresentative of your ability and work to date.

I went to my head of year, and my dad even rang her up. Nothing happened.
Reply 17
MuseStarlight
I went to my head of year, and my dad even rang her up. Nothing happened.

See her again, in fact write a clear letter explaining your concerns and then go and see her. If she shrugs your off, see your head. Also, write to the school you're applying to. Explain it's grossly unrepresentative of your abilities and potentially damaging to your chances of successful admission, but try and be 'sweet' about the whole thing:'I would be appreciative...'.
MuseStarlight
Yes, it's in Trafford. Funny how you know that.

They have the best non-fee paying grammar schools in the country. I know you've already said you're not inclined to disclose where, but I'm guessing it's either Altrincham or Ambrose?

Actually, come to think of it Sale Grammar is quite good as well. :holmes:
Reply 19
Kreuzuerk
Lucky they count for absolutely nothing then. Nevertheless, go to your head of year and inform them you think they're unrepresentative of your ability and work to date and also write a letter to the school you are applying to apprising them of the situation. Say, it's school policy. But, why would they even know your predictions? I doubt that they directly liaise with your current school.

Application forms asks for predicted grades

Latest