The Student Room Group
Reply 1
the standard is usually A1, though that isn't to say your work has to be A1 in size, but the composition of placing A4 and A3 images within such a space of white background is aesthetically pleasing, though it's entirely up to you. where i studied foundation, A1 was what was drilled into us and personally i think work looks great centered on that. just make sure your drop, window, slit, etc mounts are all measured up right n' tight, of course.

all of my work was mounted onto A1 card and then slipped inside a black A1 folder, but it wasn't ring bound or attached in anyway, instead the work was arranged loose so that it could be taken out for closer inspection, but it was sorted in a certain order all on top of each other. again, that was the standard from our foundation - there's nothing wrong with having it ring bound, but i'll warn you against plastic sleeves as it detracts from the work and if anything is textural/paint based, it looses alot of it's quality from being flattened by a horrible shiney skin.

as for where to buy, my dad got me mine from the works, though that was summer of 2008 and i don't even know if the works store is around anymore. it was pretty cheap, really if you were to be working the same method as what i said the folder itself isn't too important - black, simple, not too heavy or complicated. zip open, zip close.
A3 of course....nothing worse than squinting to see work on A4 or having to clear the entire room for a ridiculously large folder.
Reply 3
A3 is pretty easy to carry and large enough to get some good detail in. Im doing graphic design and I am taking an A3 portolfio.

A1 can be a bit hard to carry and can get heavy with lots of stuff.
Reply 4
I'd personally say A2 size (not too big, not too small...) but it depends what your currently working on. For example, most of the work that I do on my foundation course is A1 size, so this basically means that I *have* to have an A1 size portfolio.

In terms of prices, bog standard art shop own brand. £40 A1 size, £25 A2 size.

http://www.artdiscount.co.uk/ - my local art shop. If your college has it's own shop then try there as they are usually cheaper buying direct.
Unless you're doing paintings, illustration is now 99% done digitally and should fit well onto A3.

Spend £30 on a sturdy leather folder, no cheap folders! Work should be valued enough to be displayed in something worthy.

Buy yourself some light grey paper and mount your work onto it.
Have mostly "final pieces" but don't forget to include "sketchbook work" type stuff, they do like to see how ideas develop etc
tropical-twist3
Have mostly "final pieces" but don't forget to include "sketchbook work" type stuff, they do like to see how ideas develop etc

good advice. mmmm

Latest