The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

got an offer but if i reapply again would they reject me?

I got an offer from Durham, but I would like to take a gap year and reapply. (am not intending to ask for a deferred entry... Another reason.. ) but would they recognise me and dont give me an offer again next year because I didnt take the offer this year?????????? simply of this reason???
THIS IS FOR MATHS
I APPLIED FOR MATHS THIS YEAR AS WELL.. SO APPLYING FOR SAME SUBJECT

THANKS
Reply 1
Sangin Know
I got an offer from Durham, but I would like to take a gap year and reapply. (am not intending to ask for a deferred entry... Another reason.. ) but would they recognise me and dont give me an offer again next year because I didnt take the offer this year?????????? simply of this reason???
THIS IS FOR MATHS
I APPLIED FOR MATHS THIS YEAR AS WELL.. SO APPLYING FOR SAME SUBJECT

THANKS

providing you meet their criteria again i dont see why not

i applied for NTU last year (ok not the same prestigeness but y'know) and received an offer. I rejected. Reapplied this year to them and they gave me another offer, this time unconditional.

Whats the reason you wouldnt like to defer?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
There seems no point whatsoever not asking to defer... If there is, then what I have heard is that generally maths departments prefer to take people pre-gap year because the year out makes a huge difference and you forget a lot of stuff, your brain is less active mathematically etc. That might not be a massive issue, but I would say you have a marginally smaller chance of getting an offer if you apply next year.
It is much harder to get an offer this year than last year because of a massive increase in applications and severe restrictions put on unis by govt. I have no reason to think it will be any easier next year, indeed it will probably be even harder.

Latest