Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Nails (as an accessory)

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just gathering opinions on nails! Generally during uni I'm not a 'pretty nail' person for practical reasons (so I just keep 'em healthy and shiny then) but in the hols it's an area I generally take pride in :cool: French is my favourite, but gold is *apparently* according to my Voguette mates, gonna make a comeback this spring

So girls, how do you do your nails, and what's your fave style? My BF's a fan of red, I sometimes like bright pink (he hates it :rolleyes: ) but like I said earlier, can't beat French nails IMO, sexy as and professional-looking all at the same time :p:

DB_x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    it depends on the circumstances, at work, i think french manicure is the best cos they're chic, and look professional. Gold's good for the evening, but i agree red is the timeless classic!! i agree with your bf, i don't like pink it's a little too barbieish for me!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danni_bella83)
    Just gathering opinions on nails! Generally during uni I'm not a 'pretty nail' person for practical reasons (so I just keep 'em healthy and shiny then) but in the hols it's an area I generally take pride in :cool: French is my favourite, but gold is *apparently* according to my Voguette mates, gonna make a comeback this spring

So girls, how do you do your nails, and what's your fave style? My BF's a fan of red, I sometimes like bright pink (he hates it :rolleyes: ) but like I said earlier, can't beat French nails IMO, sexy as and professional-looking all at the same time :p:

DB_x
    french nails are tops. Seasonless and stunning. Gold is a big no no-i hate that colour...bleugh...tacky...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    well my nails are VERY long, so I keep good care of them. I spend two hours a week caring for them. as for painting, I genreally, paint them red, as they look like red claws, lol.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs. Political)
    it depends on the circumstances, at work, i think french manicure is the best cos they're chic, and look professional. Gold's good for the evening, but i agree red is the timeless classic!! i agree with your bf, i don't like pink it's a little too barbieish for me!
    Lol. I didn't mean bright pink, it's more a warm reddy type :p: Plus I'm quite tanned so I have had comments saying it looks nice with my tone, but I can see what you both mean about the tackyness But nah, it's not the colour you're thinking of, and it doesn't look barbie-ish.

A french mani IS chic, I couldn't agree with you more - I think it's sexy too :cool:

DB_x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i do the same as you, having shiny nails, cos i know that i can't wear nail varnish as i always chip it, or damage it and i can't stand it when they don't look perfect. i always wear nail varnish for special occasions, as i only have to wear it one night. sorry the pink i was thinking of was like plasticcy, but i agree that with a tan, pink looks nice! my favourite colours for toes are browny golds, reds or subtle creams, my mum does my toes for me, she does a really good job as well, she's a lot cheaper than a manicurist, and does a better job!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    i do the same as you, having shiny nails, cos i know that i can't wear nail varnish as i always chip it, or damage it and i can't stand it when they don't look perfect. i always wear nail varnish for special occasions, as i only have to wear it one night. sorry the pink i was thinking of was like plasticcy, but i agree that with a tan, pink looks nice! my favourite colours for toes are browny golds, reds or subtle creams, my mum does my toes for me, she does a really good job as well, she's a lot cheaper than a manicurist, and does a better job!
    Yep, shiny nails for uni - you gotta be practical, and yes I'm a perfectionist too, which is why I tend to get my nails done for special events or in the holidays.

Subtle creams are nice too - give you a bit of that 'old world' glamour, along with red nails. Good for going out to parties and so forth.

I'll prolly be getting french nails for the ANTM comp I'm entering next month tho, but I'm scared they'll want me to keep it all Au Naturel - and not just with the face, but with the hands too...
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol random thought - remember when George from Seinfeld became a hand model?? *wonders if he wore a clear polish to keep his nails healthy and shiny looking* :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    what's the antm comp? as long as you keep them in good nick, they can look like french manicure anyway. i clean them every night, and i get loads of compliments cos they look like french manicure, just make sure you have a good amount of white at the tops of your nails.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i'd do that job if i could, i'd also model my feet! wouldn't you?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    what's the antm comp? as long as you keep them in good nick, they can look like french manicure anyway. i clean them every night, and i get loads of compliments cos they look like french manicure, just make sure you have a good amount of white at the tops of your nails.
    ANTM = Australia's Next Top Model :p:

Just handed in the form with my photo today, and was told to come along to the audition on the 11th of August. Thread about it in the International forum. I'm pretty exited!

Yeah, my nails are naturally long and thin in the bed itself, which is why I've never needed to have acrylic in my life :elefant: I find that after I wash my hair, my nails tips are perfectly white it's weird! But at least they're clean looking. Hmm, we prolly have similar looking nails then

DB_x
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    i'd do that job if i could, i'd also model my feet! wouldn't you?
    I know, so would I, but it's George from Seinfeld we're talking about here! :eek: Oh well, each to their own, he's cool actually so I was just joshing. And besides, about male hand models - how could I not add the famous phrase by the comedian himself 'NOT that there's anything wrong with that' :p: :cool:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i think it's a bit weird when men wear nail varnish- don't you? it looks really gay- no offence to anyone.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i have to wear nail varnish, if i dont i end up biting or picking at my nails and i never grow them til i start painting them again. I like colours which change in different light.. Pearly ones which at also pinky and purply.. I have this brown one, which has gold and purple mixed it looks really cool. I think its rimmel radical(shade) 60 seconds.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glory)
    i have to wear nail varnish, if i dont i end up biting or picking at my nails and i never grow them til i start painting them again. I like colours which change in different light.. Pearly ones which at also pinky and purply.. I have this brown one, which has gold and purple mixed it looks really cool. I think its rimmel radical(shade) 60 seconds.
    I have that too. It is really pretty
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't paint my nails, coz we used to not be allowed at school. Now I'm going into 6th form though, I think clear polish sounds like a good idea coz I bite my nails. I need to stop, just something to make em taste nasty so I won't do it anymore.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What the hell are "French" nails :s

I look after my nails in a "they're not jagged" way, but I don't care for painting them. I can't stand having them too long, it's so impractical I cut them asap.
    • 69 followers

ReputationRep:
    My sister has about 5 nail varnishes, and 3 of them are brown.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    french nails i think they mean a french manacure. Its when you have clear or pink nails with white tips where your nails grow past the nail bed and sometimes look white naturally.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i think it's a bit weird when men wear nail varnish- don't you? it looks really gay- no offence to anyone.
    Not really, i know a lot of masculine men who have or do wear nail varnish and they quite suit it

Each to their own though
Updated: August 5, 2005
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.