The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Some questions about the town and german and history departements.

Hi !

I'm french and i have possibility to come to St Andrews as transfert student for two years to obtain a M.A.

I can also go to Oxford but not to get the diploma.

I would study History and German and the most most important is for me the level of courses.

I study now in Paris (dual degree Sorbonne/Sciences-Po) and I want to study in UK, but in a a very good uni as sciences-po or the sorbonne.

I want to do research, so what I need is excellent courses to prepare PhD. And I don't care a lot about reputation, I'm french so for me Oxford is just the name of an english dictionnary, I just want to have a very good level in History and German (and also English language !).

Some friends say me that Oxbridge have a better reputation than Saint-Andrews but that the level is fast the same (for History and German), some others think that not...

Do you think St Andrews boring ? Of course, i can't leave in this town the same life as in Paris but there are a lot of things to do ? Edinburgh is hard to go ?

I like meet a lot of new persons, and I'm afraid that in a small campus, all people know all peope.

And is it hard to be gay in a so small town ? I'm sur that all students are open-minded but I would know if it's easy to meet others guys...

I know there is a LGBT society but is it active ?

I'm very (very) sorry for my so bad english but my first language was german and I'm (of course) going to improve it before I come, if I come.

Ps : if I come, it will be in september 2011.
Reply 1
Derbal
Hi !

I'm french and i have possibility to come to St Andrews as transfert student for two years to obtain a M.A.

I can also go to Oxford but not to get the diploma.

I would study History and German and the most most important is for me the level of courses.

I study now in Paris (dual degree Sorbonne/Sciences-Po) and I want to study in UK, but in a a very good uni as sciences-po or the sorbonne.

I want to do research, so what I need is excellent courses to prepare PhD. And I don't care a lot about reputation, I'm french so for me Oxford is just the name of an english dictionnary, I just want to have a very good level in History and German (and also English language !).

Some friends say me that Oxbridge have a better reputation than Saint-Andrews but that the level is fast the same (for History and German), some others think that not...

Do you think St Andrews boring ? Of course, i can't leave in this town the same life as in Paris but there are a lot of things to do ? Edinburgh is hard to go ?

I like meet a lot of new persons, and I'm afraid that in a small campus, all people know all peope.

And is it hard to be gay in a so small town ? I'm sur that all students are open-minded but I would know if it's easy to meet others guys...

I know there is a LGBT society but is it active ?

I'm very (very) sorry for my so bad english but my first language was german and I'm (of course) going to improve it before I come, if I come.

Ps : if I come, it will be in september 2011.

Hey,

I would advise you to visit both places (Oxford and St Andrews) as they both have their own 'feel' about them.
Oxford undoubtedly has the better academic reputaiton (as unpopular as this may make me - it's true!) but there are many MANY amazing things about StAs that we all love, and I'm sure you'd love as well.

As for your other questions; no it's not boring, Edinburgh is reasonably close (about 90 minutes on the bus) and Dundee is only about 30 minutes away on the bus.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
dont trust mex - hes the type of person to neg you anonymously :teeth:

i am hoping for some pos btw to cancel that harshness out
Reply 3
Thanks for your answers !

M_E_X > The difference of level is to you important or light ?

I know that it's easy for Americans to have an offer so I ask me if it makes the level down or...

Oxford is just an exchange programm for a year, but St Andrews it's two years which permit me to obtain the diploma.

Someone here study german and/or history ?

And how cost a room in a house of downtown (if there is a downtown).

I think that I'm more interested by St Andrews (if not I didn't post my thread here.)

So i think about go to visit St A. but it's far and expensive from Paris.

Where can I stay for two/three days for a cheap price ?
Reply 4
Derbal
Thanks for your answers !

M_E_X > The difference of level is to you important or light ?

I know that it's easy for Americans to have an offer so I ask me if it makes the level down or...

Oxford is just an exchange programm for a year, but St Andrews it's two years which permit me to obtain the diploma.

Someone here study german and/or history ?

And how cost a room in a house of downtown (if there is a downtown).

I think that I'm more interested by St Andrews (if not I didn't post my thread here.)

So i think about go to visit St A. but it's far and expensive from Paris.

Where can I stay for two/three days for a cheap price ?

Well I'd say a normal degree from Oxbridge is better than a normal degree from St Andrews.

However, with your situation (two years vs one year, diploma vs no diploma) I don't know how they compare...that is something only you can decide, I think.

If you can't visit both towns you may be able to get a good feel for both online. For St Andrews,

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/admissions/Video/

here is a recently made video you may like to watch.
It's definitely worth visiting, I think. Theres a hostel in town (opposite the Union, very central), and they sometimes have beds at £9 or £10 per night. The price depends on the time of year.

I don't think St Andrews gets boring, and there are enough people that people don't know everyone else. You'll often bump into people you know, though. I like that.

I get the impression that LBGTsoc are fairly active. I think they occasionally do a bop, which seems a pretty big commitment for a society... so that's a good sign :smile: You can find their contact details on www.yourunion.net, so you could drop them a message if you wanted to know more of what they've got planned.

In terms of rent, I think the average price outside of halls is £90 per week plus bills. I think that's in the current undergraduate prospectus.

I'll dare to discuss St Andrews vs. Oxford... I think overall, Oxford has a better reputation and is probably more well-known, particularly internationally. However, St Andrews is one of the best universities in Scotland, so it's not too far behind. I would look at the subject information for each university, and see if you feel that both universities would serve you well. If you decide that you would prefer the experience of studying at St Andrews, then I don't think you would be doing yourself a disservice by choosing to study here. I chose to study here over somewhere that's better for the subjects I do, because I liked St Andrews much more as a place.

Also, your English is very good. It's certainly much better than my French :biggrin:
Reply 6
I'd watched the video and some blogs too, the city looks very very nice.

I prefer StAndrews because I think that a M.A. in Saint Andrews looks better than "an erasmus exchange in Oxford".Moreover I don't need a well-known diploma because I'm going to have it in France. I just want to study a long time in UK (so two years in St A's) to have a perfect level in english because I want to be historian and all the research is in English.

And I want to improve my skills in German and History, and these departements look excellent in St A's.

After graduation, is it hard to do his PhD in Harvard, Yale, Princeton... or other university which have good "funding".

(Merci encore for you fast and usefull help !

Latest

Trending

Trending