The Student Room Group
What exam board are you on?
AV = Alternative Vote; we may have a referendum on introducing it in the UK if Brown gets his way, so there is plenty of information out there ATM.
STV = Single Transferable Vote; it's used in Northern Ireland

It sounds like you're on Edexcel. If you are then this book is quite good: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Government-Politics-AS-Success/dp/0340958677/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265477134&sr=8-1

Whether you're on Edexcel or not, then this book is also quite good: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Government-Politics-AS-Success/dp/0340958677/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265477134&sr=8-1
Reply 3
im on Aqa and yeah i understand the electoral systems now , it was hard but am i right to say alternative vote is a mix between both the proportional and majority system ?
it has been proposed by labour recently , however it is suggested to exclude smaller parties?
Reply 4
AyanJ
im on Aqa and yeah i understand the electoral systems now , it was hard but am i right to say alternative vote is a mix between both the proportional and majority system ?
it has been proposed by labour recently , however it is suggested to exclude smaller parties?

Because AV retains the link between constituency and parliament, votes for smaller parties aren't going to be totaled up from across the country, so they're still gonna get fewer votes. Most people would go something like this on the AV system;
1) Labour/Conservative
2) Lib Dems
3) Minor parties etc

So, you can still see how minor parties would miss out.
Reply 5
Okay im getting the hang of this i have a mock exam tomorrow at sixth form and its a total killer cos my teacher never taught us half the syllabus!

Pluarility is basically the candidate who gets more votes than his opponent wins?

Majoritarain is a system which believes a candidate must achieve 50% or more votes to win
the seat . Example : Supplementary vote ....

Proportional : This is the number of votes = number of seats.
Example : STV ....
But am i right when saying a quota is calcuated when the votes cast divided by the seats +1 ?

this is abit confusing and im still quite confused with ATM , ...

And Gordon Brown has decided to bring this AV electoral system in , so his party gains more seats and become a majority party and become a government...
Reply 6
AyanJ
And Gordon Brown has decided to bring this AV electoral system in , so his party gains more seats and become a majority party and become a government...

I don't think that's right - Labour's popularity has sunk so much that there's no way they could win the next election. AV is one of the most beneficial systems for the Lib Dems, since most people would put them as a second choice after either Labour/Tories. I think what they're trying to do is minimise the Conservative majority in favour of the Lib Dems, and banking on the fact that in the event of a hung parliament, the Liberals are more likely to come to Labour for a coalition (being ideologically closer).
Reply 7
So if im right to say , an Alternative vote could help excluded parties such as UKIP and LIB DEM .
Alternative Vote is A System used in welsh and scottish assemblies , however its not proportional , so would that not produce unfair justice to smaller parties.
Reply 8
AyanJ
So if im right to say , an Alternative vote could help excluded parties such as UKIP and LIB DEM .
Alternative Vote is A System used in welsh and scottish assemblies , however its not proportional , so would that not produce unfair justice to smaller parties.

AV leads to a winner which has an absolute majority of votes, so it's far more proportional than FPTP, which only requires a simple majority winner.

In the Scottish Parliament and the Welsh Assembly, they actually use the Additional Member System (AMS) which works like FPTP, but has a set number of additional "top-up" MPs whose spots are allocated due to the overall percentage of votes.

EDIT: Woops - AMS casts two votes, one for an MP and one for a party - the MP wins via simple majority in that constituency, while the party's votes are tallied up from all the constiuencies where seats are allocated proportionally according to the percentages.
Reply 9
okay this is slightly confusing .... can you please just outline the types of systems ie proportional which electoral system it includes im quite confused i still have voting behaviour , and more to do . but i cant get my head around this!
Google is there for a reason my lover =]]

<3
Reply 11
Dont you think i have tried google loool.
Reply 12
FPTP - Westminster elections, US Presidential election etc
AV - Australian House of Representatives (not used in the UK)
SV (Supplementary vote) - Mayoral vote / Northern Ireland Assembly
2nd Ballot System - France (not used in the UK)
STV - Local govt. elections in Scotland
List System (Proportional) - (not used in the UK)
Closed List System - European Parliamentary Elections
AMS - Scottish Parliament / Welsh Assembly

Focus on FPTP, AMS, and Closed List.
FPTP: Usually returns strong parliamentary majority (feb 1974 is the exception case). Requires simple majority. Look at % votes vs representation in parliament - how democratic is it?
AMS: Creates working parliament (although the SNP and Plaid Cymru have been in coalition with Labour since the 2007 elections). More proportional to votes cast.
Closed List: UK split into regions eg South West, where parties must pass a % threshold to gain seats. Not truley proportional, as minority parties who gain a significant amount of votes countrywide (eg Green Party) fail to gain seats. Most proportional of all the methods; returns multiple candidates.
AyanJ
i have an mock exam monday on unit one on politics i need urgent help GUYSSS!!!

what does AV mean?

If you have already done your test in january what was your question if you can recall it PLEASE!!!

Can somebody define all of these terms AV STV

Alternative vote (when the vote runs off, otherwise known as instant runoff vote)
Single Transferable vote.
Haven't read the rest of the thread though.
And Plurality voting = FPTP.

Latest

Trending

Trending