The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i'd do physics. Too many people do Psychology and its becoming seen as too easy... (not my view but what i saw on the news).

Psychology would be more interesting, but Physics would be seen as more academic. It depends what you want to do after.
Reply 2
Physics is actually quite interesting too :eek: And you know what to expect.

I chose physics over psychology and don't regret seeing as half the people doing psychology dropped out in the first 2 weeks (didn't realise what the course entailed)
Ok well are you sure im going to wait for my results to come out because at the six-form im going to i need an A-A* to do 3 sciences if i get that i will choose physics but hopefully its the right choice
maze.e
i am enroling in A-levels this year september and between this time and september we have to give in our final subject selection. I am choosing Biology, Chemistry, History but i am stuck on my last choice which is between pschology and physics can any1 tell me which would be the best to choose please

Woah that's really strange - im also doing History, Biology, Chemistry and my 4th is Psychology (after a lot of deliberation) - I think that unless you are really REALLY commited to pure sciences, Psychology would offer a little variation. Im presuming you would want to go into a science - related career like myself, and good Biology and Chemistry grades would be enough for uni applications. At the end of the day, to use a cliche its your choice cos half the battle is enjoying what you're doing. :smile:
Reply 5
Physics would complement the other Sciences and would stand you in much better steed if you wanted to apply for a job in the field of Science. Psychology would show breadth and would be better if you wanted to lean towards a less scientific career. Don't listen to the idiots who say you will be scrutenised by choosing Psychology (an "easy" subject) because they don't know what they're talking about. Choose subjects which you think will be mroe appropriate for your future aspirations and also make sure you'll enjoy them!
[QUOTE= Don't listen to the idiots who say you will be scrutenised by choosing Psychology (an "easy" subject) because they don't know what they're talking about. Choose subjects which you think will be mroe appropriate for your future aspirations and also make sure you'll enjoy them!

Couldn't agree more!! :top:
Reply 7
I want to study a NatSci tripos at Cambridge in 2007 so I am choosing Chem, Bio, Phys and Maths for AS, and for A2 I'll do Chem, Bio, Phys and F.Maths. I am only choosing Physics because it is almost a necessity because I am wanting to study at Oxbridge. If you aren't interested by Oxbridge but still want to do a career where you use and apply Science, Physics isn't usually required. Besides Physics is almost pointless without the aid of Maths. Good luck.
I would just choose whichever subject you think you'll prefer and do better in, but make sure you research psychology thoroughly because a lot of people take it without realising what it actually involves. While it's true that physics is more respected than psychology, no university, even Oxbridge, is going to care if you have one 'soft' subject.
loradora68
[QUOTE= Don't listen to the idiots who say you will be scrutenised by choosing Psychology (an "easy" subject) because they don't know what they're talking about. Choose subjects which you think will be mroe appropriate for your future aspirations and also make sure you'll enjoy them!

Couldn't agree more!! :top:

Same here :congrats:
Reply 10
I agree with above. Do the subject you enjoy more. You have Bio, Chem and History, so they are seen as traditional. If you enjoy Phsychology more, it would still not affect you in terms of choosing the "reputable" subjects :wink: Good luck :p:
Reply 11
IF ur interested in both then check the specification, papers and go through the books to have a better view. I did Edexcel Physics, its interesting but i find a bit hard to get an A in physics..
hey but i want to apply to oxbridge thats the thing!!!!!!!!!!!!! i think i may do physics gives me a better chance
Reply 13
If you do want to appy to Oxbridge, wouldn't it be better to have Maths? Obviously it varries from course to course, but I know at my school, the Physics course is very mathematical, so those without AS Maths struggle. If you're prepared to put in the extra work behind the scenes so to speek to keep your level of maths up to scratch, then go for the Physics. If after a couple of weeks you can't cope/hate it/start to dream of impaling your teacher on a board pen then you can always quit and take the Psychology course.
maze.e
hey but i want to apply to oxbridge thats the thing!!!!!!!!!!!!! i think i may do physics gives me a better chance

What do you want to apply for? As has already been mentioned, any course that requires physics usually requires maths as well, so doing one without the other probably wouldn't be that useful. Honestly, taking one 'soft' subject won't make any difference to your application when your other subjects are all respected.
i want to apply for biochemistry at oxford but i thought physics will make me look like a better when applying
maze.e
i want to apply for biochemistry at oxford but i thought physics will make me look like a better when applying

I don't know what the requirements are for biochemistry, so you'll need to check, but I'd imagine you'd only need biology and chemistry. Have a look at the online prospectus, www.ox.ac.uk, and if physics is listed as a desirable subject, take it. If not, and you'd prefer psychology, take that. You might find physics quite difficult without maths anyway.
ive checked they only really require biology and chemistry really thats what they wants as A A i just thinking physics would be more better than psychology but psychology is fun to do and very intresting but also i am thinking of applying to cambridge maybe and taking earth sciences
maze.e
ive checked they only really require biology and chemistry really thats what they wants as A A i just thinking physics would be more better than psychology but psychology is fun to do and very intresting but also i am thinking of applying to cambridge maybe and taking earth sciences

www.cam.ac.uk See what they require :smile: At the end of the day, if you think you'd enjoy physics, you'd get an A in it and it would help you in your application, go for it, but if you're more interested in psychology and are only considering physics because it's more respected, I'd go for psychology.
^^^ ok thats helpfull but im going to think this out man its a hard choice

Latest