The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

MA Social Work at Northumbria

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi Zoey, I'm due to start in Jan 2012 too!

Also really keen to know a bit more... do we get time off in Sept rather than the summer? I'm definitely going to need a part time job. Waiting to hear the outcome of my bursary application atm.

Any info about timetable/how the year pans out re. holiday would be MASSIVELY appreciated from anyone in the know!?

*begging*
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Reply 21
Hi Zoey / Jen, I am due to start in 2012 and need all of the info too! There is an introductory night in November that should help. A little concerned that I was told there would be no time to work a part time job, so trying to work as much as possible now while I can to save up!

I am yet to send my bursary application off, is there a deadline for this do you know Jen?

Thanks, Rachel
Reply 22
Hi all I also have a conditional offer to start in Jan 2012, I have to do crb stuff yet, I am a mature student aged 44 and work part time at the moment so I guess that will have to end even though it is night shift. The meeting is due to take place 8th November at 4.30pm so I hope to see everyone there and hopefully more light will be shed on what is going to happen.:smile:
Reply 23
Hi Jen/Rach/Jme

I was unable to attend the introduction course last week could any of you girls give me anymore information?

Did i miss much?

Have any of you's got your crb forms through or anything yet?

Any idea of our timetable or how much time we'll have off? panicking about affording to live and as its only 6 weeks ago i feel i know very little about the course.

Are you's travelling to uni or moving there?

Anything you's could tell me would be great :smile:
Reply 24
Hello Girls (and Guys ofcourse!)

I am really interested in doing this course in January 2013, but have NO idea where to start. First of all, Im in Newcastle and wish to get into Northumbria MA Social Work. I havent applied, just wanting to but dont know where to start.

I understand that from the entry requirements you need a second class honors degree, GCSE maths and English.

But, I am fishing for more specific details on the entry requirements so that I can try to guarantee a place (or an offer) from them on this course.

So my questions are (please do reply as Im losing sleep over this):

1) Will I be accepted If i was to get 2:2 Honors degree in Childhood & Youth Studies? (I didnt get 2:2, but I am doing my final year and have a bad feeling that is what I will get)

2) I have no experience what so ever, is that required? Although I am looking to volunteer during summer once I complete my final year.

3) Do they accept Adult Numeracy and Literacy tests equivalent to GCSE? As I have failed in Maths badly during my school years.

And by the looks of your posts it seems you have applied to the courses during the middle of the year (February, June, July) does this mean I will have to apply around June for this course at Northumbria?

Please please reply I would be so grateful! x:frown:
I have applied for the 2013 entry and I am constantly checking my email waiting for a reply! Has anyone else already replied? Or how long did it take for last years entry people to hear back? I know the deadline is really far away so I was wondering whether they will wait until loads of people have applied first?

Response to rb24: I have applied already! I'm not sure when the deadlines are but it won't be any time soon. I am unsure about the requirements to, I'm expecting a 2:1 in politics which should be ok, but I didn't have any direct experience in social work. Maybe some people who got offers last year could reply and tell us what they got on with? If you find the addmissions number on the northumbria website they will be able to answer some of your questions.

Thanks!
Reply 26
Hi rachael,

I had emailed the admissions office a while ago and they mentioned that the deadline is 1st of March. I still havent sent off my application, but I am aware the sooner the better :frown:

They also said, you can gain entry with 2:2 but they expect sufficient experience, and if you do not have it then you assure them that you will gain it as much as you can for full year prior to starting the course (if you get in). However he stated, they mainly look for motivation and knowledge of the career on the personal statement, experience and qualifications are a fraction of what they look for under requirements.

I hope its not too competitive at northumbria! Hope you do get in and best of luck rachael xx
Reply 27
Hello,
I'm also planning on applying for the MA in Social Work, starting in January 2013. The deadline to apply has now been announced, I think it's the 25th March.
I also don't have any experience of volunteering or working in a similar field, but I've just made it clear in my personal statement that I want to gain experience after I've completed my undergraduate degree.

Good luck and I'll hopefully see you next January! x
Sorry late reply I've never really used this website before and I thought I would get an email notification when people replied! I thought my personal statement was really good, but I wish I put something about wanting to gain experience after I had finished uni now! I suppose I can mention that in the interview, I might apply for stuff now so I can back it up then.

Good luck!
Reply 29
hello everyone... ive just recieved an email to say that this grouphad been getting messages hence why im writing a reply.

Im now in my second year of the MA at Northumbria so may be able to provide you with some useful tips.

firstly there is an entry exam, once through this you have an opportunity for an interview. they look for about 25ish people for the course so places are limited as i know they recieve a lot of applicants.

people in my year did not necessarily have work experience in the field but I agree with one of the above statements, its more about your knowledge and enthusiasm for the profession. i think they look for you to be realistic about what it is ahead, i.e a heavy work load, producing work to higher standards than the undergraduate and longer placements.

I understand that a 2:2 is fine to get on the course with and although you might not have experience you may want to think about volunteering, or making plans to and informing them of this in your interview. also if you have any personal experiences that may link to social work or past jobs that may benefit you. before the exam and interview you may want to read a few social work books or go on the community care website and read up on a few current issues or even get familiar with the basic social work values.

I hope this is of some help but if you want to know anymore i'll try check this page again soon.
good luck !
Reply 30
Hey Lizzie,

Could you tell me what the structure of the course is like? How many hours are you studying/on placement per week. I'm wondering whether I could manage a part time job at the same time or whether that would be too much with placements?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 31
i have got through to the exam stage and im really nervous have no idea on whats going to happen. is there any tips you could give for the exams. anything i should defintly read up on
Reply 32
Hi,

I too am applying on this course for Jan 2013 intake. Im really hoping I can get onto it. Someone previously asked if they could get accepted with a 2:2, I recieved a 2:2 in Law and Advice Studies and Ive gotten through the first stage, I also havent volunteered since university 5years ago but stated in my application how much I was interested in the field and that I was intending on gaining experience before the course starts.

I have just recieved an email asking me to come for the exam on 2nd May. Does anyone know what type of questions they are?
Hi,

I am looking to apply at Northhumbria for 2019 intake. Has anyone got any tips on what the written tasks are like(article, essay etc)? i want to start preparing as early as possible as I'm very nervous about the written task more than the interview.

Thank You very much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending