The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

So many year 11s, I feel old!
I'm in year 12, hoping to apply later this year, and I'm doing maths, chemistry, biology and physics.
I'm really worried about getting the grades and the ridiculous amount of competition :p:
Reply 41
I love all the y11's who have already decided! I had no idea til like the end of year twelve... Just lucky I happen to love science and was taking all the right A levels!
Reply 42
sidrah
Ah.. Once upon a time, I was like you xP
Nah, I only really chose medicine after my work experience, and that was last August.. lol
Go for it guys and good luck :smile:

Wow you have an offer from Cambridge? What did you get in your GCSEs & take for A-Levels?
Reply 43
If I get As at the end of this year (in year 12), i'll consider medicine, but I'm not sure if I'm capable of it yet!
I'm doing maths, chemistry, physics and biology.
Chemistry, Biology and Maths (A-Level).
AS Certificated from last year: Further Maths, General Studies.
Reply 45
thegodofgod
meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin: (currently in y11)

thinking of:

- maths
- chemistry
- physics
- german
- biology (self-teaching)
- critical thinking (AS)

stupid teachers at school not letting me study biology at a-level so i have to take it out of school :frown:

Is that because they only let you do four?
Ryaaaaannnnn
I'm going to do
Chemistry
Biology
Maths
Psychology

And also going to get work experience in summer at Bristol Royal Infirmary hopefully :biggrin:

Gahh, I've been waiting for them to get back to me for months now :P I may not be the age min. by then tho. -_- Southmead haven't got back to me neither. Good luck :wink:
Reply 47
im also a year 11 planning to take
biology
maths
chemistry
history of ar

already got an a* in maths too
do you need maths for medicine?
im in year 28 (:wink: a mature student)

i am doing my alevels in a year via distance learning. im taking;

biology
religious studies
maths
chemistry (AS)

chemistry is only to AS because i am doing at the local college and they will not let me do it in a year :frown:
i am predicted A*AAa, but because i will have to take 14 exams in one go i have little confidance in actually achieving this.
Reply 49
ahhh. just like doing them back in the ol days, batty.
infintywhirls
Gahh, I've been waiting for them to get back to me for months now :P I may not be the age min. by then tho. -_- Southmead haven't got back to me neither. Good luck :wink:

Ahh thank you haha:wink:
I went to them in year 10 for work experience and they ended up cancelling it - so they owe me one haha :yep:
infintywhirls

Oh yeah btw, have you sent them your appilcation form? If so and you haven't tried already, ring them up for an interview. When I applied last year they didn't get in touch with me, I had to get in touch with them.
Reply 52
soon you will be jumping up and doon in the med school bar, macca. trust me, Ryyyyaaaaaaaaan.
Reply 53
xXxBaby-BooxXx
I'd recommend dropping Religious Studies after your first year, Maths is more respected, but it's up to you.

I disagree. Maths is seen as a more traditional one for a medical applicant, but it's not needed, so OP I'd say don't feel like you have to keep it, a lot of people do. Religious Studies would be particularly good if it's of personal interest to you, as long as you can relate skills you learn from studying it to medicine it's fine. But hey, you might prefer maths, i dunno :o:
Becky21

nah - the stupid guys don't think i'd be able to keep up to standard with the workload.

but i've just recently found out that if i do get a good mark for the GCSE i'm going to take in june for bio, then i mite still be able to take it in school, in which case i'll drop physics (don't really like it too much, and the teachers in the school for physics are rubbish)

only the chemistry ones are good - 5 out of 6 of them have PhDs, so they're well qualified.

Becky21

i've even asked if i cud take 3 A-levels in school: maths, chemistry and german, and do biology outside of school, but we all do 4 in school :s-smilie:

ballerinabetty
im in year 28 (:wink: a mature student)

i am doing my alevels in a year via distance learning. im taking;

biology
religious studies
maths
chemistry (AS)

so how are you going to do the practical bit of the sciences? (i'd like to know coz i'm planning to do biology outside of school )
thegodofgod
so how are you going to do the practical bit of the sciences? (i'd like to know coz i'm planning to do biology outside of school :confused:)

the biology assesments can be done out side of class (they dont need a lab) the chem stuff will be at a test center. however this is so hard to organise that i have decided i may just go to college and do it all over 2 years.
Bio, chemi, business studies, maths(AS)