The Student Room Group

5th Year Course Choices

Ok, I got my course choice sheet for 5th year and I've no idea what to take really. Well, when I say that I know I'm going to take Higher Maths + English, but otherwise I have no idea.

For Standard Grades I took:
English
Maths
Physics
Modern Studies
Music
French
Graphic Communication
Computing

I know I'm definitely dropping Music and French - there's no way I want to do them for Highers. Also I'm predicted to get 1s in all of my subjects so it's more of a matter of how good the courses are I guess.
So if you could tell me a bit more about the above courses - and if you yourself enjoyed it or whatnot and why, I'd appreciate it muchly.

Business Management is also catching my eye, but really it's all just in the name. What do you actually learn? Is it a worthwhile course? And whatever else you can tell me.
Reply 1
I found modies rather boring.

It really depends, do you find that you're more sciency, creative or into humanities?
LonelySoul193
Ok, I got my course choice sheet for 5th year and I've no idea what to take really. Well, when I say that I know I'm going to take Higher Maths + English, but otherwise I have no idea.

For Standard Grades I took:
English
Maths
Physics
Modern Studies
Music
French
Graphic Communication
Computing

I know I'm definitely dropping Music and French - there's no way I want to do them for Highers. Also I'm predicted to get 1s in all of my subjects so it's more of a matter of how good the courses are I guess.
So if you could tell me a bit more about the above courses - and if you yourself enjoyed it or whatnot and why, I'd appreciate it muchly.

Business Management is also catching my eye, but really it's all just in the name. What do you actually learn? Is it a worthwhile course? And whatever else you can tell me.

Business Management is fantastic, even though I'm not going into management I found it interesting. I'd say it's probably the subject that I use the most in everyday situations. I had a hot teacher too, but maybe that influenced me...
Reply 3
LuhLah

It really depends, do you find that you're more sciency, creative or into humanities?

To be honest, I'm really not all that sure. I'm honestly pretty clueless about the choices :frown:
Reply 4
if you're not sure take a mixture. maths, english, physics, modern studies and one of bus man/computing/graph comm.
Reply 5
LonelySoul193

Business management is definatley the easiest higher I have taken.(I do Chemistry, Maths, English, Physics and Bus Man)Although the course is quite interesting , it can sometimes be quite dull and repetitive but I think it all depends on the teacher and their methods. Overall though the course is good , a lot of it is just comes down to memory and a bit of common sense, I would definitly recommend it. Ultimately the choice is up to you, good luck with whatever subjects you decide
Higher Computing is terrible to be honest! The theory is pretty hard to take in (alot to learn) but the coursework was terrible it must of took me about 20 to 30 hours to complete it and I was about first finished there is people still not finished after been doing 40+ hours and might be getting kicked out to INT2 if they dont finish before March and fail the prelim.

Just sat the prelim and amazingly I think I did extremely well last Friday. I hope I do get an A or B so I can take Advanced Higher maybe.

But if you are committed you will pass well. Massive jump from Standard Grade.
Reply 7
I'd disagree with the computing comment. It's not a massive jump really... I mean there is about 3 times as much to learn as SG, but the concepts are very easy to understand. Coursework task isn't as hard as everyone makes it out to be.Regardless of how you find programming, it will be hard to get to grasps with at first. But remember, just read the task and look at what you have to do and write down roughly how you plan to write the program. The shopping part is pretty easy, except when SQA include ridiculously hard things to find with outrageous specs...which did happen this year.

As long as you have a logical thinking process and you find sg programming easyish then go for it. It's an excellent course for a lot of science based courses at uni.
Reply 8
LuhLah
I found modies rather boring.

Yes, Modies is depressing.. and a hopeless teacher doesn't help in my case. :frown:
Business Management is quite easy - as long as you take time to learn the notes and the SQA command words then it's a piece of cake! I would only recommend taking Mod Studs if you think you'll enjoy it (or if you're in a school like mine where the options sheets are naff are you forced into another year of the joys of devolved and reserved matters etc:frown: )

You'll probably shoot me but French is actually really good at higher - it's so much more enjoyable than in Standard Grade and it's relatively straightforward. But each to their own :smile:
Reply 10
Higher Computing is easy? Well, considering SG Comps, I was determined to fail and still got two 1s...hmm...interesting... :beard:

:rofl: @ "Name the parts of the database" question.
Thanks for the info. so far guys, though if you have any other comments about each course then do share :smile: I've to hand my form in tomorrow and I'm still not sure haha. Fail.

Would you say Business Management is a worthwhile course? Like, is it a useful qualification at higher level?
Reply 12
LuhLah
Higher Computing is easy? Well, considering SG Comps, I was determined to fail and still got two 1s...hmm...interesting... :beard:

:rofl: @ "Name the parts of the database" question.

Ahh good times , walking out of the exam 50 minutes early and still getting 100% rofl :biggrin:
Right I ended up filling in my form with English, Maths, Computing, Modern Studies + Physics - though I still don't feel completely satisfied. It's open to change for the next month or 2 I think though...

Part of me wants to do graphics... But the art side of it is putting me off - I'm really not very good at all with art :frown:
I agreed with my parents that I should maybe leave Business Management until 6th year - I'm assuming I can just take it as a higher without having done int 1 or int 2 etc on it? Though part of me still wishes I could do it in 5th year - especially for a change of scene.

Physics is one I'm not too happy about taking, I'm not too keen on sciences and I find it kind of bores me in SG. But my parents said I should take a science, but doesn't Computing count as a science? Ugh I'm just all... meh... yes... meh :frown:
LonelySoul193
Part of me wants to do graphics... But the art side of it is putting me off - I'm really not very good at all with art :frown:

You don't really need to be good at art to do graphics, although it would help but don't let that put you off. I started it last year but didn't find it arty enough and got easily frustrated with drawing on CAD and computer software. There are plenty of people who take it without having any art experience.

I agreed with my parents that I should maybe leave Business Management until 6th year - I'm assuming I can just take it as a higher without having done int 1 or int 2 etc on it? Though part of me still wishes I could do it in 5th year - especially for a change of scene.

Yeah, many people 'crash' a higher in 5/6th year and providing that grades and effort in other subjects are good, then there shouldn't be any problems in taking it.

Physics is one I'm not too happy about taking, I'm not too keen on sciences and I find it kind of bores me in SG. But my parents said I should take a science, but doesn't Computing count as a science? Ugh I'm just all... meh... yes... meh :frown:

If you find SG boring then I suggest that you reconsider physics as it's a fairly large step up from SG (from what I've heard). There is nothing worst than being stuck with something you don't enjoy and often people won't perform as good. I'm pretty sure universities don't include Computing as a science... Having a science is useful, especially if your uncertain of what you want to do at uni -- what about Biology or Chemistry?
rosie9391

If you find SG boring then I suggest that you reconsider physics as it's a fairly large step up from SG (from what I've heard). There is nothing worst than being stuck with something you don't enjoy and often people won't perform as good. I'm pretty sure universities don't include Computing as a science... Having a science is useful, especially if your uncertain of what you want to do at uni -- what about Biology or Chemistry?

Hmm but then I also wouldn't say I particularly enjoy Computing either, I find it pretty easy and I find the SG course kind of boring also :frown: Sigh.

I've not really put much thought into other sciences, mostly because I know Biology wouldn't really interest me. Plus aren't crash highers in chemistry very hard? My friends always say SG is hard in terms of chemistry...
LonelySoul193
Hmm but then I also wouldn't say I particularly enjoy Computing either, I find it pretty easy and I find the SG course kind of boring also :frown: Sigh.

I've not really put much thought into other sciences, mostly because I know Biology wouldn't really interest me. Plus aren't crash highers in chemistry very hard? My friends always say SG is hard in terms of chemistry...

Perhaps have a look at online uni prospectus' which might give you an idea of courses and highers to choose. I really don't know with chemistry since I've never studied it at higher. However bit's are coming into my uni course and I'm having to go back to basics... so yeah I'd imagine it would be harder but by no means impossible.
For chemistry, you need to know the basics from standard grade. About 10% of marks in the higher paper are hard credit level questions. It'd also be helpful if you're fairly confident in maths (although not essential) as there are calculations. You would probably have to learn the SG basics before beginning the higher. I think it's do-able if you have enough motivation :smile:

And graphics, some people I know do it, and they've never done art. Remember you can always 'sample' the highers in June, and then change your mind after the summer hols :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending