Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

St Andrews University: A Warning

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh-WOW)
    You don't need to take the bus and train from Leuchars. You can take the x59 bus direct to Edinburgh. takes just over 1hour 30mins and costs just over £10 for a return ticket. Much better way of getting to Edinburgh.
    Owh really? Great to know

But would the bus go through the bridge that overlooks the sea? I just love that ocean view. It's so calming :love: When I took the train, I saw this huge bridge (bluish color) whiles the train was passing by it. So I would hope the bus would go through that bridge to reach St. Andrews

I wonder as well how it would look like during winter. Must be gloomy
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)

Nah, not really.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Owh really? Great to know

But would the bus go through the bridge that overlooks the sea? I just love that ocean view. It's so calming :love: When I took the train, I saw this huge bridge (bluish color) whiles the train was passing by it. So I would hope the bus would go through that bridge to reach St. Andrews

Yes. the bus goes over the forth road bridge. which is the one adjacent to the rail bridge that the train goes over...
    You can also take the x58/x60 that goes to Edinburgh via the coastal route so you would have lots of sea views. but it does take a while longer to get there.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh-WOW)
    Yes. the bus goes over the forth road bridge. which is the one adjacent to the rail bridge that the train goes over...
    You can also take the x58/x60 that goes to Edinburgh via the coastal route so you would have lots of sea views. but it does take a while longer to get there.
    Thank you :hugs:

I miss the old burnt down chapel really
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonlight_freakout)
    I really appreciate that you wrote that. I actually decided not to apply there, because, coming from Milan, it would take just too much to arrive than, let's say, london where there are about 30 flights per day.
    But now i see that I might have done the correct choice!

Although, if you feel that way, you could try to transfer out? just a thought!
    do not go to london. it is expensive and cramped. i think you may want to go to a uni where it is easy to get london every now and then and go shopping and clubbing. the small appartments do not justify the ridculous rent. I go goldsmiths which is in the middle of a **** hole and it £500 a month rent. so central london prices will be worse
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
    I often felt bitter that I wasnt getting the real university experience aswell. I wanted to live in a small campus town where there were lots of students all living close to each other and where there was a sense of community.Castles, rabbits, house parties and beach parties sounds like heaven to me. Which just goes to prove what everyone has been saying - each to their own and go to the bloody open day before you agree to spend 3 years of your life living somewhere!

Exactly x 10000. I wish I went to a smaller uni to feel more integrated - in my three years at University of London, I made about two friends. I didn't get the chance to dorm, so I never felt integrated or like I was a real part of anything. And this happens to a LOT of people in London -- most of my friends were made through internships, etc.

This is why right now, for postgrad, I am applying to places like St Andrew's and Bath to gain the chance to really experience student life. My best friend goes to St Andrew's and I recently visited her and LOVED it. I had the most fun weekend ever - we went to the Oktoberfest and then some after-party in a lighthouse type of setting and the next day, went to a house party where we partied til 4am.

It really is what you make of it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Might I make a request then? Everyone who is hesitant of accepting their offers please do not accept and go elsewhere. I mean really...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Usernameitis)
    Might I make a request then? Everyone who is hesitant of accepting their offers please do not accept and go elsewhere. I mean really...
    There are plenty of reasons why anyone could be hesitating to accept their offer. It may be financially or because they got other good offers? I mean really...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perlsh)
    There are plenty of reasons why anyone could be hesitating to accept their offer. It may be financially or because they got other good offers? I mean really...
    Yes, but these issues in no way pertain to the topic we're discussing here.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    This has gone way off topic and should probably be closed.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Faaakin hell! According to Google maps St Andrews the same size as Palmers Green! I can see how that would drive you nuts if you were from London.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexandradenis)
    do not go to london. it is expensive and cramped. i think you may want to go to a uni where it is easy to get london every now and then and go shopping and clubbing. the small appartments do not justify the ridculous rent. I go goldsmiths which is in the middle of a **** hole and it £500 a month rent. so central london prices will be worse
    Yeah that's Goldsmiths. Not every uni is in the South London ghetto. Imperial and UCL and LSE are in really nice areas. Especially Imperial.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacefox)
    Exactly x 10000. I wish I went to a smaller uni to feel more integrated - in my three years at University of London, I made about two friends. I didn't get the chance to dorm
    What college?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    O.K, to try and bring this back on topic: @alexandradenis and spacefox I understand what your stating, I am a Londoner myself but would NOT want to attend a University in London because the cost of living is very high here unless you live at home, and also I agree to an extent, I think it's harder to form close bonds with people when you only have lectures and live in such a spread out city where thers so much going on, as opossed to a moderately sized town or city where things and people are less spread out. Also, there is a lot more going on in London, but that can be a drawback in many ways because it's harder to organise get togethers as opossed to a slightly smaller place where you might feel integrated, so I empathise with what you're saying- I could understand someone feeling really lost in London if they haven't grown up here.

St Andrews, however is the other extreme, I would argue, yes its smaller and theres a greater concentration of poeple so it has a more local feel, but theres also a lot less going on in the place...and personally, in my experience, its quite limited socially *especially if you're not part of the hosue party scene*... so I think the best University experiences are in places where theres a balance- where the place is not so huge that you never get to connect with peopele, yet not so small that it becomes boring and claustrophobic and monotonous after a few months and you begin to feel like there's nothing new to see.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boyan)
    hah, sounds awful .. please Imperial accept me!
    Hah! And u believe in Imperial u will have a better life?? I am rejecting Imperial to go St Andrews cause asked lots of people about both unis. Research a bit before considering anything ..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have JUST firmed for St. Andrews, and youre not saying anything new! We, prospective students, KNOW it is a small place. I come from Lima, a chaotic, dirty and dangerous Latin American capital of 5 million habitants, maybe some change could be good? I want a peaceful place to study, and I can party when I come back here for the holidays, or maybe if I go to London someday, or in Edinbourgh -it isnt that far away!
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neofytos)
    Hah! And u believe in Imperial u will have a better life?? I am rejecting Imperial to go St Andrews cause asked lots of people about both unis. Research a bit before considering anything ..
    Exactly.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henriksebastian)
    I have JUST firmed for St. Andrews, and youre not saying anything new! We, prospective students, KNOW it is a small place. I come from Lima, a chaotic, dirty and dangerous Latin American capital of 5 million habitants, maybe some change could be good? I want a peaceful place to study, and I can party when I come back here for the holidays, or maybe if I go to London someday, or in Edinbourgh -it isnt that far away!
    Hey- well the emphasis of my original post in hindsight is too much on the size of the place and some of the superficial things I don't like...it was more of a rant really and actually to some degree doesn't nail the exact point I wanted to convey- teh size isn't actually all that relevant, yeah its annoying but I could probably have gotten used to it, and even grown to like it it was a fun place- bigger problems for me included the culture of the place and the whole social experience...it is verrrrrry upper middle class and is not exactly a place where peopel mix a lot socially, so the whole 'student experince' in St Andrews just never worked for me, and I think its basically second rate compared to most Unis in that respect...a place can be small and be so sooo much fun, I've been small places before with way less going on than in a city but which had an amazing vibe and were full of down to earth people...St Andrews isn't like that IMO thats the problem, not so much the size, thats one thing but its everything else that bothers me more like how pretentious the place is etc.

Also, just to make somethign clear, Edinburgh is not THAT close, its actually about 2 hours away by bus, and buses only run at set times once an hour until about approx. 8 pm I think. Also, for a student, tickets are £10 or so return which is not ideal for a student budget, so its not like you can just pop over whenever you feel like it, you have to really plan and have money to make a proper visit. You can't just pop off anywhere whenever you're bored, it gets expensive, believe me, I learned the hard way trying to escape at every given oppurtunity!

However from what you've said about wanting a change/ a quieter experience, I'm sure you'll enjoy the change in setting, as St Andrews could not be further culturally from Peru! xxxxxxxxxxxx
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It is it just me, or are these posts are getting ridiculously long?

Anyhoot. St Andrews is considered to be the 5th most international University in the world. (I'm not sure how this is calculated though)

Thus, yes, St Andrews is very international, but I do find that most of the international students are of the upper-middle class type - except for those out of the EU. This probably has a lot to do with the fees.

And... I'd write more but my laptop is out of batterryyyy...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

I visited twice, fell in love with the place. And then when I actually met people etc my opinion changed. Theres some great people but I can also confirm everything the OP has mentioned. By all means, it is great for some people, but if you play sport... don't go.

I travel a lot with sport and they told me to leave because it is a 'traditional' University and "if you want to play a sport then leave, this is an Academic University and you came here to study".

However, there were also some incredibly supportive staff members that fought my case and I am allowed to stay.

TLDR; if you play sport... don't go!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 28, 2014
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.