The Student Room Group

Biology or Chemistry?

I'm choosing my A levels and to balance my other subjects I'm thinking of taking a science. I'm good at science so that's not a problem, I just want to take arts subjects more. So I was wondering, which subject (Biology or Chemistry) has more general application? As far as I can see any degree that asks for Biology also asks for Chemistry and as I'm not taking two sciences it doesn't seem to make much sense taking it on its own.

So thoughts? Which is better on its own, Biology or Chemistry?
Reply 1
I take both, and I would say biology, especially if you're not taking maths.

What other subjects are you planning on taking?
Chemistry is more respected and fun :smile:
biology goes well with PE, psychology, geography where as with chem its more like maths and physics etc. (I take both.)
id assume chemistry it..... its needed 4 everything nowadays
Reply 5
Chemistry.
Reply 6
Chemistry :yep:
Reply 7
If you're applying to an Arts degree I would recommend Biology, its just as respected as Chemistry and really improves your critical thinking ability and memory.

If you're applying to Healthcare professions (e.g Medicine, Pharmacy e.t.c) then Chemistry is REQUIRED, Biology is just "desirable", but not necessary since they will teach you the Biology anyway but will not teach you the Chemistry expecting you to know it.
If you're more maths inclined then Chemistry.
It depends, which subject do you enjoy/find more interesting/are you better at? I'd say if you're going to study arts/humanities, then choose Biology, but if you're capable and are more mathematically inclined, then choose Chemistry. Or why not both? :biggrin:.
94_confessions
Or why not both? :biggrin:.
I would do both, you really think they’ll turn somebody with AS in biology and chemistry down on a soft course? :wink:

At a push I’d say chemistry since biology is really specific and simplified chemistry (and of course chemistry is really physics etc.)
Reply 11
I'd say Chemistry, as it keeps more doors open as more courses require it than biology. However, it's generally thought to be harder and there are some pretty tough concepts. If you don't think you'd ever want to go down the science route, and your other subjects wouldn't allow that anyway, choose the one you think you'll enjoy. Alot of people I've spoken to feel that Biology is more fun. However, bear in mind that it's uses are more limited.
Hippopothomas
I would do both, you really think they’ll turn somebody with AS in biology and chemistry down on a soft course? :wink:

At a push I’d say chemistry since biology is really specific and simplified chemistry (and of course chemistry is really physics etc.)

Well what course are you applying for? :smile:. I think they'll appreciate any science you do, to be honest, because no matter which one you do, it shows that you're a well-rounded person, academically. And I think both Biology and Chemistry are very specific in their own ways, if you enjoy more analytical and mathematical learning then I'd go for Chemistry, and if not, then Biology. They're both very interesting subjects :smile:.
Reply 13
Chemistry is more general (incorporating maths and the other two sciences), so would be more useful to you if you could do well.

Chemistry relies on being able to understand theory and is generally more difficult than Biology.
Biology requires a wider range of information, but has less theory and different knowledge application so is generally easier.
Thanks for the help. I'm interested though about saying about the maths in Chemistry, I asked about this in another thread and they said it was nothing above GCSE level. Is that correct?
Lone Commissar
Thanks for the help. I'm interested though about saying about the maths in Chemistry, I asked about this in another thread and they said it was nothing above GCSE level. Is that correct?

Kind of, it's GCSE standard in regards to addition, subtraction and rearranging equations etc. but in some topics (i.e. weak acids and bases) you'll need to understand how logs work. It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it, and even a non-mathematician can understand :smile:.

Latest

Trending

Trending