The Student Room Group

DSA - 6th Form

Since I've found out I needed to be re-assessed and a report produced by my 6th form for DSA I went to them and asked them and they started getting nervous and snappy. Granted, my school probably doesn't have to produce too many of these documents on a regular basis but surely they know how to assess and produce them? They started to make excuses such as "we don't have the facilities" and "we have to check if you are dyslexic again".

So are they just making things up?

Also, does anyone know if they are getting funding for dyslexia students in Secondary School/6th Form?
do you have an statement of educational needs? Have you been diagnosed by an educational psychologist?
Don't you need to be in HE to qualify for the Disabled Students Allowance?
Reply 3
hypocriticaljap
do you have an statement of educational needs? Have you been diagnosed by an educational psychologist?

I was tested in Year 10 by the Dyslexia Mentor, I don't know how qualified she is or if she drew up a statement of educational needs - they said they would look in my file so I guess I'll find out soon but my school is so poor that I'm guessing they are just going to try and get out of it even if I do actually qualify for reassessment.

aaran-j
Don't you need to be in HE to qualify for the Disabled Students Allowance?

Yeah but you can apply before you go and get all of the evidence ready for DSA.
Anomoly
I was tested in Year 10 by the Dyslexia Mentor, I don't know how qualified she is or if she drew up a statement of educational needs - they said they would look in my file so I guess I'll find out soon but my school is so poor that I'm guessing they are just going to try and get out of it even if I do actually qualify for reassessment.

Yeah but you can apply before you go and get all of the evidence ready for DSA.

You haven't been assessed by an Ed Psych and you don't have a statement. If you did you'd have a copy and annual reviews. You will need a full assessment for dyslexia for consideration for DSA.
see here
http://www.dyslexic.com/dsa
Hmm.. luckily my school was so rubbish that I didnt get tested for dyslexia until i was 19.... last november!! And even then it was only after I paid £300 to a private assesser. My school is rubbish!!!
Reply 6
hypocriticaljap
You haven't been assessed by an Ed Psych and you don't have a statement. If you did you'd have a copy and annual reviews. You will need a full assessment for dyslexia for consideration for DSA.
see here
http://www.dyslexic.com/dsa

Fair enough, maybe that's what they meant by "don't have the facilities". So I will have to be tested again at uni most likely.

beckaboos.
Hmm.. luckily my school was so rubbish that I didnt get tested for dyslexia until i was 19.... last november!! And even then it was only after I paid £300 to a private assesser. My school is rubbish!!!

£300 :frown: Students are broke enough let alone paying out £300 and not even be guaranteed anything.
Reply 7
I was lucky mine was free - I knew I wasn't dyslexic; only had it done to shut up senco. (because they claimed that I am dyslexic and not partially sighted)

Latest