The Student Room Group

Will doing 1 soft option disadvantage me?

Ok...so all I keep being told is universities are getting more and more and more competitive, don't do mickey mouse a levels if you want to live bla bla bla etc etc

And generally I don't...except 1.

I want to do:
English Lit
Maths
History
Biology
Classics

And Drama and Theatre Studies...

Now you are probably going to comment on the fact that there's 6 as well. But they're the 6 I want to do...and having spoken to the Sixth Form counsellor she reckons I'm capable.

However, everyone keeps telling me AVOID DRAMA AT ALL COSTS.

I'm good at Drama, I love drama and although it's more a hobby than a career I love to pursue it.

However, I feel if I do...then it may disadvantage me when applying to Uni. I want to English Literature when I eventually do go.

Comments anyone?
Reply 1
Disadvantage you, yes.
Massively hurt your chances, maybe not but I'll leave it to people with more experience.
Reply 2
Do it if you really want to do it but if you want to go to a top univeristy don't do it.
Reply 3
You want to do 6!?!? Wow. Sure you might be capable of doing well in 6, but you are going to have no time to do anything else! College isn't just about getting A-levels - it's also about making new friends and having fun! Just make sure you don't forget about all that!
But, this thread wasn't about you doing 6 subjects :smile:. I don't think it would disadvantage you, since you've got 5 other well respected subjects. I wouldn't advise taking it to A2 though!
Reply 4
LittleMissDramaQueen

I want to do:
English Lit
Maths
History
Biology

Classics

The ones in bold are ones that I know are traditional and respected subjects. You only need 3 A levels to get into uni.

If you can handle the workload. Do what you want to.

So basically @ thread title question. No.
If we use Trinity College Cambridge's listing system, I'd say no. You'd be doing 3 A-list subjects (English lit, Maths and History) and two B list (Biology and Classics). With those 5 A levels, I think you could almost be doing Health and Social Care as your 6th and still have a decent shot at a top uni.

That said, I have fairly serious doubts about how feasible 6 A-levels is. People do do this, but they are a TINY proportion, and it's generally for science basded subjects where the actual workload is smaller. By all means give it a go - but it's not easy, or necessary.
Reply 6
LittleMissDramaQueen
Ok...so all I keep being told is universities are getting more and more and more competitive, don't do mickey mouse a levels if you want to live bla bla bla etc etc

And generally I don't...except 1.

I want to do:
English Lit
Maths
History
Biology
Classics

And Drama and Theatre Studies...

Now you are probably going to comment on the fact that there's 6 as well. But they're the 6 I want to do...and having spoken to the Sixth Form counsellor she reckons I'm capable.

However, everyone keeps telling me AVOID DRAMA AT ALL COSTS.

I'm good at Drama, I love drama and although it's more a hobby than a career I love to pursue it.

However, I feel if I do...then it may disadvantage me when applying to Uni. I want to English Literature when I eventually do go.

Comments anyone?

In your case no.
It shouldn't disadvantage you too much.
You're doing 6 so I don't think it would even matter,
plus you have 5 other very well respected subjects.

Go for it.
Reply 8
If it was your fourth AS-Level: yes, maybe.
If it was your 3rd A-level: definitley

If it's your 6th AS-level... I doubt it would make much (if any) impact. You have 5 really strong ones there :smile:
No go for it everyone needs to have a subject that they really enjoy doing :smile: Wow six A levels you must be really clever, go for it! It won't affect your chances at uni especially for English Lit (What I mean by that is you're not applying for medicine or anything as challenging as that) x
Reply 10
I think you'd be fine if you can handle the workload (though why not just do drama as a hobby, like at a local drama studio/ drama club at school)
Why not get a drama qualification out of school? Less writing then, no?
The_Red_Wedge
If we use Trinity College Cambridge's listing system, I'd say no. You'd be doing 3 A-list subjects (English lit, Maths and History) and two B list (Biology and Classics). With those 5 A levels, I think you could almost be doing Health and Social Care as your 6th and still have a decent shot at a top uni.

That said, I have fairly serious doubts about how feasible 6 A-levels is. People do do this, but they are a TINY proportion, and it's generally for science basded subjects where the actual workload is smaller. By all means give it a go - but it's not easy, or necessary.

Biology is in list A1, Classics is in list A2. A1 and A2 contain Maths and History receptively. Lists A1 and A2 are the 'respected' lists which are equal with each other, they are different lists because one contains science subjects and one contains art subjects. Biology and Classics are certainly not in list B which is the 'A-levels of More Limited Suitability' list.

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604
Quite right, apologies.
Reply 14
I don't know about Oxbridge and the other top universities but I did Media Studies and Critical Thinking at AS and got offers from all of the universities I applied to (studying Biochemistry). And Exeter, Southampton and Sussex aren't exactly bad universities. So you're probably better off with 5 A list subjects but i doubt it'l ruin your chances. As long as the rest of your application is up to scratch.
Reply 15
Theatre Studies is one of my subjects, and I have 4 offers from pretty good unis so far. Granted, my course isn't as competitive, and I'm hardly an Oxbridge candidate, but I do not think it will harm your chances. :smile:
Reply 16
just don't do it
microfatcat
Why not get a drama qualification out of school? Less writing then, no?

I agree with this entirely, I don't think an AS/A level in drama will have any bearing on your university application (they may be impressed if you've managed to get an A in all 6) but to ease your workload you could join a club out of school, then you could bring it in as a hobby when applying?
You may be perfectly capable of doing 6 but bear in mind that 3 of those subjects require essays, drama included (maybe classics too but I have no experience of it).

Latest