Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best book so far?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 15-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Which book do u think is the best so far? i think the Goblet of Fire, just coz it was so intense and exciting...the last two have been a bit more drawn out...its a close call tho! xx
    (apologies if theres already been a thread on this!)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    HBP was definately the best for me, closely followed by GoF.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: i loved HBP and GoF, PoA is my joint 2nd choice with GoF
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think PoA is still my favourite, followed closely by GoF.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Harry Potter books, in my order of preference:

1. Goblet of Fire (seems other people agree with me, this one is excellent. I can't wait for the film!)
    2. Half Blood Prince
    3. Prisoner of Azkaban
    4. Order of the Pheonix
    5. Chamber of Secrets
    6. Philosopher's Stone (really, really didn't like this one)
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    i really like HBP and GoF.
    then 3)PoA
    4)OotP
    5)PS
    6)Cos
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i'd say my favourite is the prisoner of Azkaban
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's a tough one but for me Goblet Of Fire has to win- it is the one which changes the scope of the series completely; moving out into the larger wizarding world etc. And the return of Voldemort to power (even if Rowling got the order from the reversal the wrong way round) was magnificent. Other events such as the Yule Ball maintained a nice balance and emphasis on Harry's normal problems. And the character of Rita Skeeter was wonderfully crafted.

Loads of people rave about Prisoner Of Azkaban but I don't think it actually compares as well with the rest of the series. Hermione's Secret is especially weak. Lupin is- however- the best of the DADA teachers.

Rowling has said that fans will recognise the signficance of Chamber of Secrets as the series progresses, and so we do now after the sixth book. I love the greater depth and exploration of this one; it is a sophisticated affair much like HBP.

Order of the Phoenix was overall excelent, but for the life of me I do not know why it was so long- the return of Quidditch was poorly accomplished as well. I think this novel should have been trimmed down considerably, especially much of the novel to do with Dolores Umbridge, whose character was simply unconvincing. It didn't fit that she could be such a stickler for rules and yet so savage.

And then of course there is The Philosopher's Stone which wonderfully lay the foundation for the novel. The tiny references to characters such as Sirius show the foundations for an entire series long in the making.

The Half Blood Prince is excellent, though it has some bugging features- why for example, do Ron and Hermione never take Harry seriously about Malfoy? Why does the magical world only recently seem to have discovered romance- where are the teachers husbands and wives?!!

My prediction is that Book 7 will top the others by a considerable margin- books 5 and 6 are largely weaker than 4 because of the fact that they are simply serving us in preparation for the finale. Questions remain- is Harry the final horcrux? Is Snape really good? Is Sirius really dead? What will Harry find at Godric's Hollow? And... when the dust settles; Will Harry or Voldemort rise? How can they fight each other with their present wands?

So:

1. Goblet of Fire
    2= Half Blood Prince, Chamber of Secrets, Philosopher's Stone
    5. Order of Phoenix
    6. Prisoner of Azkaban
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i suppose i like the prisoner of Azkaban because it was the 'happiest' for lack of a better word, for me and the suspense was great..sirius and the hippogriff were both saved and snapes anger at the end was just hilarious

theres at least one tragic event in the rest of the books after that , book 4 cedric die, book 5 sirius dies, book 6 dumbledore dies.

i loved the idea of the time turner it was great! i can just read that book time and time again without getting bored, i absolutely adore the other books as well but PoA just does it for me
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yeah i agree book three was the best, great twist and the best complete story. the later ones are great but theres too much to think about, too many complications
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    i can't remember which one i voted for
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I loved the Chamber of Secrets and the Prisoner of Azkhaban, although I was disappointed by the movie.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    1. Order of the Phoenix (fantastic end, great moments - particularly involving Fred and George).
    2. Goblet of Fire (lots of action throughout the book, excellent twist).
    3. Prisoner of Azkaban (intense, good twist).
    4. Half-Blood Prince (good ending, gives lots of information; however, lacks action throughout, poor story).
    5. Philosopher's Stone
    6. Chamber of Secrets
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My order:
    1.) Order of phoenix (intense, lots of detail, which i love about a book, harry visits so many places we now know about( st mungos, ministry)plus that ending with dumbledore and voldy!
    2.) Half Blood- never read a book that had so much build up- makes it sooo exciting when you get to the end! the way all the clues merge together, again makes the plot great.also struck emotional chords the way the other books didnt- and if a book can make you want to cry, then it mus be good.who else thinks dumbledores death is one of the great tragedies of literature, in much the same way as macbeth, othello, romeo and juliet? and the horcrux scenario- cant wait to see what happens.plus, jk's different style of writing, with all of the flashbacks, thickened out the book, made it more interesting to read, getting away from all of the norms.
    3.) Azkaban- beautifully written plot, the way it weaves, they way the subplots all merge into one (hermiones time- turner, scabbers, etc)- not many people could have the ability to come up with a plot like this- in fact, the plot for this particualr book is probably the best of all so far.....
    4.) Goblet of Fire- fantastic beginning, what with the cup, the death eaters, etc.riveting and exciting plot, what with the triwizard tournament, good ending, though i thought it was a bit of an anticlimax, and thought that it was unnecessary to have gone through all that to get harry to voldy, but then hey, its a book, needs twists.this little problem i have is why it doesnt go above azkaban, cus overall it more exciting.but i hate when convenient things happen in books, and it was just too convenient that he was transported the way he was.
    5.) Philosophers- good start, obviously more childlike than the others, but i dont think jk knew she was gunna be writing such a ark series at the time. the ending is brilliant, 50 times better than the ending to chamber, with hermione doing the riddle, the chess, etc.
    6.) chamber- my least fave, though is it still great.again, didnt like the convenience of fawkes coming at the end, though it is explained well.frustrating all the same.jk forgot that harrys a lil boy, not a bloody superhero action kid.

bring on book 7
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It has to be the order of the phoenix by far! Always danger, a constantly exciting plot, rebel action with the order etc
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just seen trailers for Goblet of Fire- how great does it look! I think this one could well take the movies from good to great- it has all the makings of a cinematic classic!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Def. #5
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    My order:
    1.) Order of phoenix (intense, lots of detail, which i love about a book, harry visits so many places we now know about( st mungos, ministry)plus that ending with dumbledore and voldy!
    2.) Half Blood- never read a book that had so much build up- makes it sooo exciting when you get to the end! the way all the clues merge together, again makes the plot great.also struck emotional chords the way the other books didnt- and if a book can make you want to cry, then it mus be good.who else thinks dumbledores death is one of the great tragedies of literature, in much the same way as macbeth, othello, romeo and juliet? and the horcrux scenario- cant wait to see what happens.plus, jk's different style of writing, with all of the flashbacks, thickened out the book, made it more interesting to read, getting away from all of the norms.
    3.) Azkaban- beautifully written plot, the way it weaves, they way the subplots all merge into one (hermiones time- turner, scabbers, etc)- not many people could have the ability to come up with a plot like this- in fact, the plot for this particualr book is probably the best of all so far.....
    4.) Goblet of Fire- fantastic beginning, what with the cup, the death eaters, etc.riveting and exciting plot, what with the triwizard tournament, good ending, though i thought it was a bit of an anticlimax, and thought that it was unnecessary to have gone through all that to get harry to voldy, but then hey, its a book, needs twists.this little problem i have is why it doesnt go above azkaban, cus overall it more exciting.but i hate when convenient things happen in books, and it was just too convenient that he was transported the way he was.
    5.) Philosophers- good start, obviously more childlike than the others, but i dont think jk knew she was gunna be writing such a ark series at the time. the ending is brilliant, 50 times better than the ending to chamber, with hermione doing the riddle, the chess, etc.
    6.) chamber- my least fave, though is it still great.again, didnt like the convenience of fawkes coming at the end, though it is explained well.frustrating all the same.jk forgot that harrys a lil boy, not a bloody superhero action kid.

bring on book 7
    wow, took the words right out of my mouth almost. but i put goblet of fire before prizoner of azkaban. i really thought that the time turning thing was random and forced. I mean, why not use a time turner now and go back and save DD. (which brings up a compeltely different point)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CR3)
    wow, took the words right out of my mouth almost. but i put goblet of fire before prizoner of azkaban. i really thought that the time turning thing was random and forced. I mean, why not use a time turner now and go back and save DD. (which brings up a compeltely different point)
    reasons time-turner woulsnt work- cant bring anyone back from the dead, no matter what.
    no time-turners left- the whole stock was smashed in the fight, remember?

remember how complex the time turner thing was? it was really weird, but it turned out that everything that happened had already hapened.when they think they see buckbeak being killed, it is actually birds flying cus of a loud bang (the axe in the pumpkin in the film, or in the book, something similar).when harry thinks he sees his papa, it is actually him already saving them from the dementors.so they didnt actualyl change any of the events, did they?because you cannot change time, and the things that have happened.herminoe used it for her lessons.but think about it, she still went to muggle studies, even when she had turned back time.its like she exists twice in one go.so dumbeldore would still died.get it?dont even think i do.......
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ooo...azkaban is winning....come on people, vote for the goblet of fire! :rolleyes: heehee xx
Updated: August 17, 2005
New on TSR

A-level secrets uncovered

Learn from the experience of last year's A-level students

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.