The Student Room Group

Analyst Wardrobe

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1160
Thread is called _analysts_ wardrobe
Original post by PrincePauper
Lets be honest. this thread is just for day dreamers and wannabes......No1 gives a toss about wardrobes in internships... its about brains, talent and landing the offer. Simple as. A nice watch and suit will be useful..... only on a thursday night in the city

fail

analyst =/= internship
Original post by PrincePauper
Lets be honest. this thread is just for day dreamers and wannabes......No1 gives a toss about wardrobes in internships... its about brains, talent and landing the offer. Simple as. A nice watch and suit will be useful..... only on a thursday night in the city

Agree with the sentiment, but why do looking good and showing talent have to be mutually exclusive. It's all about the full package, and whatever people say, you are judged on everything in this industry from your ability to your presentability.

My wardrobe:

4 x suits (2 lighter weight ones for summer and two wool/cashmere blended super 120s suits for winter. Navy, grey and charcoal)
1 x black overcoat (Banana Republic)
1 x Barbour jacket (for the rainy days - im from the country, so it's acceptable!)
10 x Charles Tyrwhitt non iron slim fit cutaway collar shirts in white and blue.
10 x ties (Hermes, Ferragamo, Thomas Pink)
2 x black pairs of shoes (Loake Oxford and Loake Brogue)- adding some Gucci loafers imminently...
5 x pairs of flair socks (all the colours of the rainbow to mix up the standard black socks)
1 x Watch (stainless steel Omega Speedmaster)

Total value, probably around £8000, but ive accumulated it over about 5 years, so hasnt hit me too hard...
Reply 1163
Pretty good set. In fact shockingly similar to mine, minus the Seamaster and Barbour jacket. And the £8k price tag.

Original post by Ross Johnson
4 x suits (2 lighter weight ones for summer and two wool/cashmere blended super 120s suits for winter. Navy, grey and charcoal)

Where from? With the quality of the rest of the wardrobe, I'm guessing bespoke or at least MTM?

:yy: Very nice, especially the former two, though guessing you're in sales or IBD if you need the ties? Plus there's supposidly the issue of junior bankers wearing Hermes being seen as a bit above their station, but never sure how much truth there is in that.

2 x black pairs of shoes (Loake Oxford and Loake Brogue)- adding some Gucci loafers imminently...

Definitely need more here, and not Gucci loafers. I'd go for another 2 black pairs, probably a wholecut and a monk (both so underused IMHO, and stand out by being classic, though I've nothing against Oxfords and brogues), a pair of dark brown or burgandy Oxfords (yes, even for the city, brown and burgandy goes so well with a navy suit) and a pair of something to go with either suit or jeans, like some tan half brogues.

There's far better than Gucci for the price. And far better than Loake as well. Both a bit fashion forward in my view. Much rather go Church's, Crocket & Jones, Trickers, or Cheaney if I want something a bit more fun.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Drogue
Pretty good set. In fact shockingly similar to mine, minus the Seamaster and Barbour jacket. And the £8k price tag.
Where from? With the quality of the rest of the wardrobe, I'm guessing bespoke or at least MTM?
:yy: Very nice, especially the former two, though guessing you're in sales or IBD if you need the ties? Plus there's supposidly the issue of junior bankers wearing Hermes being seen as a bit above their station, but never sure how much truth there is in that.
Definitely need more here, and not Gucci loafers. I'd go for another 2 black pairs, probably a wholecut and a monk (both so underused IMHO, and stand out by being classic, though I've nothing against Oxfords and brogues), a pair of dark brown or burgandy Oxfords (yes, even for the city, brown and burgandy goes so well with a navy suit) and a pair of something to go with either suit or jeans, like some tan half brogues.There's far better than Gucci for the price. And far better than Loake as well. Both a bit fashion forward in my view. Much rather go Church's, Crocket & Jones, Trickers, or Cheaney if I want something a bit more fun.

Many thanks. I have four Crombie suits - only buy from them. Buy off the peg then have alterations made to suit.

Im an M&A man, hence the ties. You say some seniors might have an issue, but the truth is, 100quid a tie is such small change to these guys that i hardly think theyd begrudge an Analyst for wearing them. A £30,000 Patek, or rocking up in a Lambo...more likely to ruffle a few feathers.

Yeah, agree that the shoes need an extra couple of pairs adding. Really keen on the Gucci, they re such a classic design and instantly recognisable. Just iconic in my view.

Sorry to say, but i baulk at the idea of non black shoes for work... Was brought up with a "never wear brown in town" view and will continue this. As for the Monks, i Find them slightly pretentious and im sure theyre just a flash in the pan trend and will be back out in a couple of years - unlike brogues, oxfords and loafers, which clearly wont.
Ross Johnson, what and where did you study out of interest?
Original post by Stowa & Hermes
Ross Johnson, what and where did you study out of interest?

A UK top 5. wont say what. Anonymity is golden.
Reply 1167
Agree with the sentiment, but why do looking good and showing talent have to be mutually exclusive. It's all about the full package, and whatever people say, you are judged on everything in this industry from your ability to your presentability.

My wardrobe:

1 x black overcoat (Banana Republic)
1 x Barbour jacket (for the rainy days - im from the country, so it's acceptable!)
10 x Charles Tyrwhitt non iron slim fit cutaway collar shirts in white and blue.
5 x pairs of flair socks (all the colours of the rainbow to mix up the standard black socks)
1 x Watch (stainless steel Omega Speedmaster)

Total value, probably around £8000, but ive accumulated it over about 5 years, so hasnt hit me too hard...

8 grand on a wardrobe and you go with fused collar shirts? :confused:
A UK top 5. wont say what. Anonymity is golden.

Why? Hardly like anyone will be able to deduce who you are if you were to say.
Ow and Ross, real ballers were hermes loafers not gucci and I actually own a pair (from Young Enterprise)
Original post by acies
8 grand on a wardrobe and you go with fused collar shirts? :confused:

Shirts are such a needless expense in my opinion. If i had a pound for every time ive put my elbow through a GH or Thomas Pink shirt, id probably have been able to replace them. :tongue:
Ow and Ross, real ballers were hermes loafers not gucci and I actually own a pair (from Young Enterprise)

Good for you, i find anything with a big H on it horrendously crass though. I saw some intern the other day in a charcoal suit, tan loafers, winchester collared shirt, H pattern hermes tie and giant gold H buckle belt. He looked like the biggest chump. Sometimes less is more, but each to their own...
The more I read this thread the more I think maybe I should look more towards a career in software/electronics... working for these banks seems like a big to do when it comes to the fashion side of things...does anybody know if VC firms are as fussy as IBs are when it comes to clothing.
Good for you, i find anything with a big H on it horrendously crass though. I saw some intern the other day in a charcoal suit, tan loafers, winchester collared shirt, H pattern hermes tie and giant gold H buckle belt. He looked like the biggest chump. Sometimes less is more, but each to their own...

Not advocating wearing the full keep. And their loafers dont come with a massive H on them either.
Not advocating wearing the full keep. And their loafers dont come with a massive H on them either.

Some do, or have done in past seasons. apologies if yours arent the ones im picturing.
Original post by i_hate_teeth
The more I read this thread the more I think maybe I should look more towards a career in software/electronics... working for these banks seems like a big to do when it comes to the fashion side of things...does anybody know if VC firms are as fussy as IBs are when it comes to clothing.

They aren't. the people that go into IB are. Plus, dont you want to be a trader.

...not worth basing career choices on tbf. And yes, pe,vc,hf guys will all have similarly expensive tastes - all ex bankers anyway...
They aren't. the people that go into IB are. Plus, dont you want to be a trader.

I want to get into VC. I've heard it's difficult to break into VC straight out of uni and that working for a BB is a good stepping stone into VC. If I had to work for a bank to get into VC i'd take trading over IBD any day of the week so that's my motivation for wanting to get into trading. If I can avoid working in an IB altogether and get straight into VC then I'll do that.
^^You should start your own fund. After making some money trading. You could make alot more money and have more fun
I want to get into VC. I've heard it's difficult to break into VC straight out of uni and that working for a BB is a good stepping stone into VC. If I had to work for a bank to get into VC i'd take trading over IBD any day of the week so that's my motivation for wanting to get into trading. If I can avoid working in an IB altogether and get straight into VC then I'll do that.

You do realise, that when it comes down to it, fundamentally VC is the basically the same as M&A/IBD? Youre liaising with, valuing and executing for companies in both roles. If youre not into IBD, then youre not into VC either. I'd comment that you probably dont fully understand this industry and have simply heard that Venture Capital is a nice career. You cant understand it, if youre claiming youd take a Trading role over IBD when your ultimate goal is VC...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending