Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Worried Driver

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness in in to the final 16! The group winners battle it out for the overall title! 15-07-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    perchance one might stop being such onanistic gentlemen?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ho ho I'm the winner yeah yeah yeah! Woo!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silence)
    perchance one might stop being such onanistic gentlemen?
    you tried this before sonny.

i looked up the word!

could we stop being so mastabatory? i dont think so! :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    When getting on the motorway, indicate - people will normally move across to let you on - remember they want to crash just as little as you do! When you want to overtake but it is quite busy, indicate and wait til there is a gap in traffic, then move out and put your foot down to get up to speed with the lane you are moving into. If you are nervous of going fast, stay in the inside lane at 60, then perhaps overtake the slower vehicles to get your confidence up. Which motorways do you have to go on btw?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    was this aimed at me?

before i point out the flaw in your argument here, id just like to remind you waht i said.

i said it 'feels' safe. it probably isnt.

now, what are you talking about? motorways dont have bends. theyve been designed so you can see far - this means gentle curves, no sharp bends.
    and 50m? where you get that from? i normally keep good distances between other cars and myself (2/3 second rule) so either id have 'enough' space or i wouldnt be going 100!

(i didnt say either that id be going 100 _all_ the time.. just lots more than i do now - emptyish motorways etc)

it wasnt aimed at you in particular, but the fact still remains that the driver overtaking most likely wont expect you to be approaching at 100MPH so could move out and expect to get past before you catch up, no pull out then your on the brakes avoiding him

altho this goes mostly towards the off duty police, who think its safe to do 159MPH. after all, if your goin 70 MPH down a motorway you dont expect a car to come from begind and overtake 90MPH faster than you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MorbidAngel)
    it wasnt aimed at you in particular, but the fact still remains that the driver overtaking most likely wont expect you to be approaching at 100MPH so could move out and expect to get past before you catch up, no pull out then your on the brakes avoiding him

altho this goes mostly towards the off duty police, who think its safe to do 159MPH. after all, if your goin 70 MPH down a motorway you dont expect a car to come from begind and overtake 90MPH faster than you
    i dont mean to continue this argument (cos i know deep in my heart it probably is too fast) but if youre driving in the middle, im coming up in the right and you want to move into my lane, then you should be watching what im doing, where i am (as well as all the other cars). that means, assessing how fast im going.

regardless of how fast im going, if youre going to swerve in without checking, then youre doing as 'bad' a job as i am!

but yeah, damn policeman (i cant see how the judge would possibly let him off!)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    don't worry about it, it's not as scary as you think it's going to be. i passed my test last may and had never properly driven on a motorway until last week (apart from the time i went on holiday to derbyshire with my parents and my mum made me drive part of the way. it just so happens that the 'part of the way' that she chose was the very junction-y bit that goes past birmingham. which she had forgotten about. hence my fear of motorways). aaaanyway i drove to cornwall with two of my cousins (both the same age as me) in the car, which basically meant about 2 hours on the M5, and it was fine! i can't even remember most of it because i was playing driving games. just drive at a speed you are comfortable with - based on how fast other cars are going (if you're really nervous you could probably go at least as slow as 60mph), and don't overtake until you feel confident. as long as you keep looking in your mirrors and watching what other cars are doing you'll be fine.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Woot the derail went full circle.

^^^ I don't think doing 60 and having to "play" with the lorries will do anything to help his nerves.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buttons7)
    don't worry about it, it's not as scary as you think it's going to be. i passed my test last may and had never properly driven on a motorway until last week (apart from the time i went on holiday to derbyshire with my parents and my mum made me drive part of the way. it just so happens that the 'part of the way' that she chose was the very junction-y bit that goes past birmingham. which she had forgotten about. hence my fear of motorways). aaaanyway i drove to cornwall with two of my cousins (both the same age as me) in the car, which basically meant about 2 hours on the M5, and it was fine! i can't even remember most of it because i was playing driving games. just drive at a speed you are comfortable with - based on how fast other cars are going (if you're really nervous you could probably go at least as slow as 60mph), and don't overtake until you feel confident. as long as you keep looking in your mirrors and watching what other cars are doing you'll be fine.

playing games whilst your goin down the motorway is bit of a stupid idea. you got a deathwish is something?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    MA: driving games could mean anything - i, spy perhaps? not much more distracting than conversation
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Diving games like chicken and who's got the fastest 80 to 100 time these are all good games.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are you trying to set me off attacking your posts again?? I'm not going to rise to it this time, lol.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hehe i wouldnt like to be driving when jax is on teh road
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just noticed you come from devon tom so I take back everything I have said as you are only used to driving a donkey up a dirt track to have sex with your cousin.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomD22)
    Moron.
    i think its fun actually
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Jax_)
    I just noticed you come from devon tom so I take back everything I have said as you are only used to driving a donkey up a dirt track to have sex with your cousin.
    Nope, that would be Cornwall
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sm0273)
    i think its fun actually
    Lol, you're a bit late to join in replying to that. Read the previous 4 pages.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whatever It still means you rarely drive on the M25 and so cannot have a discussion on motorway driving when your definition of a motorway is room for two donkeys to pass while loaded with watermellons and for them not to roll off and spoil the village leaders brand new tricorn hat in a display of debauchery.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Jax_)
    Whatever It still means you rarely drive on the M25 and so cannot have a discussion on motorway driving when your definition of a motorway is room for two donkeys to pass while loaded with watermellons and for them not to roll off and spoil the village leaders brand new tricorn hat in a display of debauchery.
    Er...tricorn hat?....i think you're into historical america now...watermellons?????? wtf? can you even grow them in england? i kinda imagine the carribbean or something when i think of watermellons
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what the **** you get up to in your project Eden thingy that can probably grow all kinds of vegetables for you to use in your population wide anal object insertion week held at the start of Devon day while covered in "moss mayonnaise" or whatever.
Updated: August 16, 2005
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.