The Student Room Group
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
yabbadabba
bump

Do you mean like what provisions people/governments take to help reduce the impact of for example an earthquake?
Reply 3
Quirky182
Do you mean like what provisions people/governments take to help reduce the impact of for example an earthquake?

i'm writing an essay and need ideas
Reply 4
I've done this question recently. *wanders off to get essay*

Ok, so...

Modify the event:
Prediction if possible. Things like hurricanes can be, but earthquakes can't, so but how, depending on the disaster, prediction can be effective.

Modify the vulnerability:
Protection schemes like warning systems, event-proof buildings, and for things like volcanoes you can dig diversion channels etc.

Modify the loss:
Evacuation schemes.
Hazard mapping.
Insurance.

Chuck in any case studies where necessary, including a hazard that was managed really well, and one that wasn't.
Then weigh up whether they can be managed, and if so what kind.

I got an A for my essay, so hope this is helpful :smile:
Reply 5
Louise_x
I've done this question recently. *wanders off to get essay*

Ok, so...

Modify the event:
Prediction if possible. Things like hurricanes can be, but earthquakes can't, so but how, depending on the disaster, prediction can be effective.

Modify the vulnerability:
Protection schemes like warning systems, event-proof buildings, and for things like volcanoes you can dig diversion channels etc.

Modify the loss:
Evacuation schemes.
Hazard mapping.
Insurance.

Chuck in any case studies where necessary, including a hazard that was managed really well, and one that wasn't.
Then weigh up whether they can be managed, and if so what kind.

I got an A for my essay, so hope this is helpful :smile:

thats perfect, thanks a lot :smile: what does the modify the event/vulnerability thing mean? and any other advice? x
Reply 6
Glad I could help :smile:
Erm, that was just the sections I split it into to make it easier. You don't have to use them, it's jsut the notes I had written before I wrote the essay.
Other advice is don't go through a case study as a whole, then do another, but split it into bits and compare directly :smile:

Latest