The Student Room Group

Medicine rejections what do i do?!

ok, so i applied to UEA and SOTON for the 6 year medicine course and got rejection from both, my other three where for biomed, and i got conditionals for all three at queen mary's st george's and westminster :s-smilie:. trouble is i really feel like if i don't do medicine that i don't wanna do anything at all, what do i do. i was thinking of gap year to strengthen application, but if i fail again then what?! im completely broken by my situation and don't know what to do, i expect no clearing for medicine due to the competition and reaplying next year being even more competative than this one! help me!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
why not take a biomed degree you get a ncie uni experience a good degree then apply for graduate entr med where a biomed degree will help you get in
St. George's allow a (very) small number of biomed students to enter second year medicine I think.
Reply 3
If all else fails there's always reapplication :smile: I know it sounds like the worst option but with experience you can gain in your gap year, plus all the extra time to revise for UKCAT/BMAT that you didn't have last year, you might have a better chance next year.
Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
I failed at getting in last year :frown:. But it actually turned out better than I ever expected! I've been working in a hospital this year, and it's been really amazing! It's such a great experience, and I'm saving money for next year! I would say that if you really want to do medicine, reapply. Or, you could do a bio-med degree then try and get into medicine that way, but thats also very competitive!
Ernestas
ok, so i applied to UEA and SOTON for the 6 year medicine course and got rejection from both, my other three where for biomed, and i got conditionals for all three at queen mary's st george's and westminster :s-smilie:. trouble is i really feel like if i don't do medicine that i don't wanna do anything at all, what do i do. i was thinking of gap year to strengthen application, but if i fail again then what?! im completely broken by my situation and don't know what to do, i expect no clearing for medicine due to the competition and reaplying next year being even more competative than this one! help me!

i got offer from queen mary too for biomed:p:
medicine is very competitive that is why i applied for biomedical instead
but you shouldn't be discouraged by this and do what you feel is right:smile: if you think you can improve your application for next year then try again, but understand that competition next year is going to be even more violent.
I would suggest taking a gap year and reapplying or going through the GEM route however note that GEM Medicine is more competitive than applying as a school leaver for 5 year courses.

You could always do your degree and apply for 5 year courses again as usual?
Reply 7
in a gap year you can get a job along the caring lines - my cousin did after his initial rejection then got 3 offers
Ignoramus
St. George's allow a (very) small number of biomed students to enter second year medicine I think.

at st georges if you performe at a first class rate (they say above 80%) in every year then you can transfer to the 3rd year of their medical degree after your 3 years of biomed. (so you get to be a doctor after 5 years like the normal doctor, but 80% grade is very hard to get consistantly).

however OP; i would say take a year out and next year apply to 4 med schools... applying to only 2 will lower your chances big time. if you do not get in next year then you will prob have to do a degree and go for GEP, but if you do not reappy next year you could really end up regretting it.
do not let this years rejection stop you. you gave yourself very little chance this year by only applying to two schools. you will have a better chance next year esp if you get some good experiance. also try to get feed back from the schools you applied to this year so you know where you need improovement.
dont give up that easily. fight for a place.
Remarqable M
medicine is very competitive that is why i applied for biomedical instead

i dont want to sound like a dick, but you don't sound like you were that interested in medicine if you decided not to apply at the very first hurdle :o:
JordanCarroll
i dont want to sound like a dick, but you don't sound like you were that interested in medicine if you decided not to apply at the very first hurdle :o:

At first i was interested, but decided that doing biomedical engineering is more suited for me because there is more interesting stuff in there that i like than medicine.
Remarqable M
At first i was interested, but decided that doing biomedical engineering is more suited for me because there is more interesting stuff in there that i like than medicine.

ahh I see :smile: well at least your not just picking it for the crack, you know what you want to do :smile:
Reply 12
well i think reapplying next year would help alot in terms of improvements that can be made in my application, ps and ukcat (i got 615 avrg), the thing is im scared il get all rejections again, especially being an IB student i don't really know if i stand a change with around 34 points, maybe upto 36 if it goes well, some uni's only want say 32 points but ive had friends with 39 predicted and getting rejected for uni's wanting 34 even though there ps looks amazing. oh and does anyone know if it is possible to accept the two top choices before may 4th and then depending on my actual results to make the decision wheather to reapply or not?
Reply 13
Why did you take 3 biomed choices, and only 2 medic choices, if you really wanted to do medicine?
Reply 14
Ernestas

Hi !

I applied for University of Southampton BM6 and BM5 and got rejected from both. Also got rejected from Exeter. The only response I am waiting for is Cardiff now...unfortunately I do not have any hope anymore.
I am applying for the second year already and no success so far.
Last year I also got rejected from everyhwhere. I don`t understand why...I got tonnes of experience and really strong personal statement.
...I do understand you...i feel the same way as you do, don`t want to do anything...only medicine. and THIS IS IT!!!
but definitelly don`t give up so easily.:rolleyes:
Reply 15
Ernestas
well i think reapplying next year would help alot in terms of improvements that can be made in my application, ps and ukcat (i got 615 avrg), the thing is im scared il get all rejections again, especially being an IB student i don't really know if i stand a change with around 34 points, maybe upto 36 if it goes well, some uni's only want say 32 points but ive had friends with 39 predicted and getting rejected for uni's wanting 34 even though there ps looks amazing. oh and does anyone know if it is possible to accept the two top choices before may 4th and then depending on my actual results to make the decision wheather to reapply or not?

I think you can accept ur offers, and then phone up uni to try it as deffered entry. I am sure you could keep this place...u know, just in case, and reapply.
Ernestas

hey :smile:
im a reapplicant...i got 4 rejections last year, soley due to my ukcat. i was absolutely gutted because i had never 'failed' anything before in my life.
After a lot of thought and the fear of not getting in 2nd time round, i decided to reapply again this year. I did have an offer for a health-related course, but i only wanted to do medicine. So i put the other course as my firm and then told the university in august, after the results came out that i wanted to withdraw.
I repeated my ukcat in october and got an average of 750 (which was an average of 150 more than last year!!) so it is possible to improve! :smile:
I know the thought of a gap year sounds daunting at first, but it is actually really enjoyable and i feel that i have benefited from it.
I have already got an unconditional offer from my first choice uni and i had a few interviews too...i havent heard back from the other unis yet.

But if you want to do medicine, id say dont give up.....follow your dreams! And also unis would like your determination for taking a year out because this would show your committment to medicine! :smile:

Work hard to get the results this year though....i no i felt like giving up completely when i got 4 rejections last year, but im sooooo glad i didnt!
Best of luck for watever you decide to do :smile:
ballerinabetty
at st georges if you performe at a first class rate (they say above 80%) in every year then you can transfer to the 3rd year of their medical degree after your 3 years of biomed. (so you get to be a doctor after 5 years like the normal doctor, but 80% grade is very hard to get consistantly).

however OP; i would say take a year out and next year apply to 4 med schools... applying to only 2 will lower your chances big time. if you do not get in next year then you will prob have to do a degree and go for GEP, but if you do not reappy next year you could really end up regretting it.
do not let this years rejection stop you. you gave yourself very little chance this year by only applying to two schools. you will have a better chance next year esp if you get some good experiance. also try to get feed back from the schools you applied to this year so you know where you need improovement.
dont give up that easily. fight for a place.

Ah right, cheers, my bad. :o:
Reply 18
i would NEVER normally advocate graduate entry but OP i think this is the best route for you. my other half is a final year medic at soton after entering it via the bm6 course. she has said that they received something like 600 applications for 30 places which is insane. this year, for the first time ever in the history of bm6, they have been rejecting masses of candidates without interview which is something they never did before - not even last year. they had a 30% increase in applications this year and next year is only going to get tougher - read the BBC reports on the education section. believe me, i know exactly what it feels like to only want to do medicine - it took me 3 years af applications to get in. only thing is, is at the moment you may think you know what you want but when you get into uni sometimes things change and your feelings for what you think is right will change.

i would advise, if you get AAA then yes take a gap year reapply. If you get below AAA, go for grad entry. you are severly restricting yourself to only applying to these 6 year courses
dilipd
i would NEVER normally advocate graduate entry but OP i think this is the best route for you. my other half is a final year medic at soton after entering it via the bm6 course. she has said that they received something like 600 applications for 30 places which is insane. this year, for the first time ever in the history of bm6, they have been rejecting masses of candidates without interview which is something they never did before - not even last year. they had a 30% increase in applications this year and next year is only going to get tougher - read the BBC reports on the education section. believe me, i know exactly what it feels like to only want to do medicine - it took me 3 years af applications to get in. only thing is, is at the moment you may think you know what you want but when you get into uni sometimes things change and your feelings for what you think is right will change.

i would advise, if you get AAA then yes take a gap year reapply. If you get below AAA, go for grad entry. you are severly restricting yourself to only applying to these 6 year courses

But, for example, if you only hold a biomedical science offer, you'll have to either accept or reject it before results day. then what? and is it not regarded as being easier to get in with your grades in hand? :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending