The Student Room Group

Not Enough UCAS Points What Can I Do?? Can I Apply Late? Should I?

I know there are probably thousands of questions like this, but i couldnt find any that really suited my siuation.
I took my a2 levels last year, and got bad grades, so this year i am taking retakes.
Trouble is... I only took 2 last year. I was on a BTEC biology course but a week before the end of term last year i got told that my attendance was 5 marks short of the percentage that i needed so there was no point in carrying on or coming back for the next year...
So my problem: Even if i get decent grades in my 2 re-sits i still fall short of ucas entry requirement points. And i am wondering if there is anything i can do now that can really boost my ucas points.
I am looking for a biology course (a short course/fast track..etc one that i can do in less than a year. i am so determined) but cant find one and its getting later and later.
I would really like to apply for this year, even though my application is now late, but is there any point?
ATM my ucas points total 120, if i do good it may be 180-200...but for unis that i want to go to for midwifery are looking for 220 - 300.
So the fianal part of my question is, does anyone know if you can get in even though you fall short of ucas points?
I think you can get in with slightly lower points if you had extenuating circumstances and a great PS. In your case I don't think you will be able to do this and you fall far short of the typical offer. I'm not aware of anything you can do at this late stage to give sufficient extra points. Even OU courses would not be completed by the deadline.

I suggest that you forget applying this year and spend next year doing suitable courses and maybe getting some work experience etc to strengthen your application.

With record numbers of people applying you are really going to have to be good to get a place, take your time and get it right.
Can you not apply for midwifery with a foundation year? Huddersfield and Keele offer a 4 year extended degree rather than 3 years, where you need 120 points to be accepted.

Otherwise enroll on a regular science/biology foundation course for next year and apply for midwifery the year later.

To gain more UCAS points you could ask to be entered for the full A level general studies exams in the summer at your school (which requires no revision/class attendance) if you don't already have this subject as some universities may accept it but check this out before applying.
Unless there are courses which have requirements that you meet or expect to meet in August then I do not see the point in applying this year and you would be better waiting until next year. If you only apply to places that require better than you are predicted to get then unfortunately the chances are that you will be rejected. Foundation years are a possibility however, and I shall move this to the nursing forum where there is likely to be some more subject specific knowledge.
Reply 4
As someone who has taken a BTEC I'd go as far as to say that you should just drop out, hit the books from now until the summer and take A Levels instead and apply once you're finished with them. They're not worth the paper they're written on, despite the fact that a BTEC is in no way easy.

If you can do well I'd opt for sticking with it and getting the UCAS points, then trying through clearing. You'll be scraping the bottom of the barrel though and you'll need to seriously think whether getting into uni this year is really that important.

Could you not opt for a HND in Biology somewhere, and then transfer on completion? You may end up transferring into the second year of a course but it'd be better than nothing I guess.
take an OU course.... in fact, take any course that has ucas points added to it really just so you can fit the requierments.
if all else fails then take a year out and take an extra alevel in the year.

i know you dont wanna take the year out but something worth having is sometimes worth waiting for.

i know a girl who had to retake her alevels 4 times till she got the points but she got in and is now a second year.
Do an access course?
Reply 7
Hi Ali,

I am in the exact same position as you were last year. I don't have enough UCAS points to get onto my nursing course in Brighton. I need 300 to apply. Just wondering if you could tell me what you ended up doing?? I keep getting told I should do a access course full time but don't know if that's my only option?

Would be great to hear from you!

Thanks
There are part time and distance learning access courses as well which can be better for some people.
Reply 9
Look at foundation years. Keele: 160-220, Bristol (anyone accepted via interview) Coventry 100-140 Worcester only 60. Look into an EPQ Qualification (can get grades from E - A*, 20-70 UCAS POINTS!), DofE, Work experience all bump up your UCAS points.
Heya, this thread is super old so I'm gonna close it now :smile: If you want to continue the conversation it's better to start a new thread :h:

Puddles

Latest