The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Anyone who says multi-culturalism doesn't work because 'they' brought aids and woodo has immediately lost the argument....
Vienna
I think alot of that information is largely irrelevant to a question of British culture. A nation's culture provides a universal bond and belief between its citizens that protects it and them. The arguments for multiculturalism, despite actually being arguments for immigration, cannot offer such a bond. In a multi-cultural society, nothing is universal, the nation has been broken down into alot of sub cultures inhabiting the same land with the disastrous consequences when these cultures decide to oppose one another and fill the void.

Interesting post, it does seem that the many cultures of Britain prefer to stick to their own, what would your solution to this be vienna?
Alexdel
Anyone who says multi-culturalism doesn't work because 'they' brought aids and woodo has immediately lost the argument....

No they have not lost the argument, their view is as valid as yours and there is evidence that aids has been brought to Britain via immigration.
Reply 23
LIBERTY FOR ALL
there is evidence that aids has been brought to Britain via immigration.

where?
Ataloss
where?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,19809-1485200,00.html
The Health Protection Agency said that 75 per cent of the 4,000 heterosexual cases came from sub-Saharan Africa with more than half originating in Zimbabwe, Malawi and Zambia. Immigration is also blamed for a 20 per cent rise in TB in England and Wales in the past ten years
Reply 25
Don't forget the founder of Bose... Indian!... how else would he have created the finest audio products if he had not gone to America, the land of opportunity.
Reply 26
This is true not just with HIV and AIDS but with many other disorders such as TB

Why don't the government just test immigrants and asylum seekers for such disorders???
Naxalite
Don't forget the founder of Bose... Indian!... how else would he have created the finest audio products if he had not gone to America, the land of opportunity.

Yes people from other cultures have done a lot.
Reply 28
twokeyalexe
36% of nasa employees-is that reflectedin the disastorous re-entry last time round

No, that would be due to the manufacturing... Many of nasa employees that are non white esp from India would be working with computers.
Reply 29
the figures for that are rather ambiguous though, since they say that the disease has originated in this region, but that does not necessarily mean that immigrants from that area have brought them in. Although the "sex tourism" market is more based in thailand nowadays, 15 years ago was the centre of it for British Tourists was The Gambia, and resulting in a significant increase in sexually transmitted disease, aswell as standard diseases, caught be engaging in congress with local prostitutes. So, really, its not immigration that has caused it completely, but your average white male, looking for a good time on holiday.
Reply 30
Revenged
Why don't the government just test immigrants and asylum seekers for such disorders???

I think they do to some extent, but if they did it fully it'd cost a fortune.
Reply 31
LIBERTY FOR ALL
Interesting post, it does seem that the many cultures of Britain prefer to stick to their own, what would your solution to this be vienna?

Well firstly we have to stop talking about race and ethnicity as being synonymous with culture. That applies equally to the liberal left as it does to the BNP. I think its also important to realise that eating British food, having a British accent and following British interests isnt evidence of British values and an allegiance to British society. The cricket loving, fish and chip eating bombers are clearly testament to that. At the same time, British citizens with different cultural backgrounds may also have private interests or traditions and still have a very clear bond to Britain. The argument against multiculturalism, as far as im concerned, is that it is not an organic development. The British people will decide themselves what values are or are not in keeping with a British understanding and love of country. In engineering a multicultural Britain you destroy the natural bond between societies, between people, and thus, I believe, the all important understanding of alliegence to our nation. The relativist engineers of this multicultural landscape believe that all cultures should be treated equally, and that we must legislate accordingly either to prevent objective discussion of its problems, its fears or its dangers. Our nation is strong because the people believe in its culture. What do the multiculturalists believe should fill this vacuum?

I wouldnt suggest that we all start waving flags and becoming overtly patriotic. As Orwell observes, Britain was never about overt displays of patriotism or love for the state, something that the US and France are more comfortable with and exercise very well.

We believe in the rule of law. British law, not the codes or laws of any other ideology, religion or belief system.
Youre allegiance is to Britain and its values. Free speech, democracy, tolerance and individual freedoms.
We put an end to the obsessive self-loathing that denies our children the basic education in British history, heritage, acheivements.
We defend our civil liberties, the right to criticise religion, ideology and the beliefs of others.
We remain a sovereign nation. How can we talk about the British nation, if it is all but being eroded away? We are powerless to take effective measures against terrorism because of the disastrous trappings of the EU Human Rights Charter.

Thats what came off the top of my head...
bikerx23
the figures for that are rather ambiguous though, since they say that the disease has originated in this region, but that does not necessarily mean that immigrants from that area have brought them in. Although the "sex tourism" market is more based in thailand nowadays, 15 years ago was the centre of it for British Tourists was The Gambia, and resulting in a significant increase in sexually transmitted disease, aswell as standard diseases, caught be engaging in congress with local prostitutes. So, really, its not immigration that has caused it completely, but your average white male, looking for a good time on holiday.

but your average white male

Its not nice to stereo type races like this
but that does not necessarily mean that immigrants from that area have brought them in

I would say a large amount of it has been brought in by immgrant, given the number that enter the UK yearly.
Reply 33
Have a cookie.
Reply 34
JonD
I think they do to some extent, but if they did it fully it'd cost a fortune.

However, it is a hell of a lot less compared to the treatment of TB, which itself consists of 6 months in hosipital taking a many strong antibiotic drugs or the cost of 10 years of drugs to suppress the HIV virus not to mention the cost of treatment of secondary infections with AIDS.

Therefore, why not have compusory test for HIV and TB?
Reply 35
I think the main disadvantage of multiculturalism is the decline of national unity. It has been suggested by many histories that one main reason for the fall of the Roman Empire was because Rome became too multicultural. National unity brings stability. Stability is needed for prosperity.
Vienna
Well firstly we have to stop talking about race and ethnicity as being synonymous with culture. That applies equally to the liberal left as it does to the BNP. I think its also important to realise that eating British food, having a British accent and following British interests isnt evidence of British values and an allegiance to British society. The cricket loving, fish and chip eating bombers are clearly testament to that. At the same time, British citizens with different cultural backgrounds may also have private interests or traditions and still have a very clear bond to Britain. The argument against multiculturalism, as far as im concerned, is that it is not an organic development. The British people will decide themselves what values are or are not in keeping with a British understanding and love of country. In engineering a multicultural Britain you destroy the natural bond between societies, between people, and thus, I believe, the all important understanding of alliegence to our nation. The relativist engineers of this multicultural landscape believe that all cultures should be treated equally, and that we must legislate accordingly either to prevent objective discussion of its problems, its fears or its dangers. Our nation is strong because the people believe in its culture. What do the multiculturalists believe should fill this vacuum?

I wouldnt suggest that we all start waving flags and becoming overtly patriotic. As Orwell observes, Britain was never about overt displays of patriotism or love for the state, something that the US and France are more comfortable with and exercise very well.

We believe in the rule of law. British law, not the codes or laws of any other ideology, religion or belief system.
Youre allegiance is to Britain and its values. Free speech, democracy, tolerance and individual freedoms.
We put an end to the obsessive self-loathing that denies our children the basic education in British history, heritage, acheivements.
We defend our civil liberties, the right to criticise religion, ideology and the beliefs of others.
We remain a sovereign nation. How can we talk about the British nation, if it is all but being eroded away? We are powerless to take effective measures against terrorism because of the disastrous trappings of the EU Human Rights Charter.

Thats what came off the top of my head...

legislate accordingly either to prevent objective discussion of its problems

Im glad you pointed this out, because I too have a problem with our freedoms being taken away from us in order to force the opinion
that mutl-culturism is a good thing. What is so bad about saying
muti-culturism is bad? Its a valid viewpoint and agreed upon by some in Britain,but some some reason it is being made to look like the work of the devil by (mainly) the labour party.
Reply 37
canuck
I think the main disadvantage of multiculturalism is national unity. It has been suggested by many histories that one main reason for the fall of the Roman Empire was because Rome became to multicultural. National unity brings stability. Stability is need for prosperity.

Thats my concern and belief.
Reply 38

Maybe so, but we also gave them plenty of negatives such as white minority rule and taking their natural resources.
Reply 39
Pepaim
Maybe so, but we also gave them plenty of negatives such as white minority rule and taking their natural resources.

That doesnt really interest me as far as immigration policy is concerned.