The Student Room Group

Stressed over FRENCH!

Heyyy guysssssss - dis is abit long lol

ok well im doing my french gcse this year and im really annoyed. I've always been really good at french but in year 10 and 11 ive slacked abit - u kno not doing work, being abit lazy etc but my ability is stil the same..
and well my teacher thinks im rubbish at french which isnt true!

shes a cow anyway, shes always negative and shouting and she always complaining about teaching - stupid fool.

she made me do all foundation papers for the mock, which was really gutting as i wanted to higher! and the thing is shes not optomistic so u cant say to her, can i do higher i will try hard shes like no.i did the mock and i got high C's in reading, writing and lisetning..which was obviously the highest grade you can get doing foundation but than on my speaking i got an E..:/

the exams are not far away, and she doesn't want me doing higher papers! shes considering me to do 2 highers in reading and listening ( if anything) and foundation in speaking and writing. I think this is soooooo unfair as shes being a cow about it and shes just never givin me a chance. like i mesd up in speakin but then i didnt really learn anything or do anything about it until the day before the exam so i kno if i work hard i can do it..andi had parents evening with her and told her
but the thing is..she goes " you can work 24/7 and u still wont get a grade A or be able to the speaking and writing higher and do well". what a prik (she needs a bf seriously) :mad:

soooooo now i duno what to do uno. need help. cos i fink i can do it but she doesnt think i can..and tbh shes sort of blowed my confidence whereas before i was all good and confident now im thinking maybe i am rubbish but im not! like before the mock wen we had practise with some assisrance. she sed i wos best in the class and really good. and like im doin foundaiton nd a few r doin higher!

but what if i do all higher and do really bad and end up gettin even worse..what if shes right dahz the thing...but i duno!

like atm im expecting like As and A*'s and like with all of that then a C in french is going to look pathetic. and the main thing is, that im not even bad in french! i kno french quite well its just im lazy. if i wos rubish and got a C dats gd but when i know i can do well and beter than a C is depresin!
Reply 1
Good lord. If you can't write properly in English, how do you expect to do well in a foreign language?

After translating your post, my conclusion is that you're annoyed your teacher won't let you take higher speaking/listening. Well, if you had an E in your mock, surely Foundation is the best option for you?

You could try explaining your feelings to her. It only takes practice and memory to improve the skills you need, after all. On the other hand, people in my school didn't do all higher exams in French but still managed to get a B overall.
You cannot be lazy with a language, shape up!
Do some extra work to show her you're good, you need to prove yourself.
She's not being a cow, she's going on your mock grade, it's what any teacher would do.
Reply 3
bonjour, je ne parle pas de francais
Reply 4
lol nah i aint lazy anymore, it was mainly in year 10 and begining of year 11...i revised quite hard for the other topics reading writing and listening..but i just seemed to leave speaking last minute.

Yeh, nah im prepared to put hard work in now, but if im not geting the right support its really no good..and i am a hard worker..i dont mean proper lazy like some people..like im getting A*'s and As on everythin else its just french which is why it will look quite bad " A* A* A* A* A A A A* C" lol so yeh..

And that bad english was mainly due to multitasking as i was on the phone at the same time haha but yeh i ur al right, i do gota work hard and prove to her. but its hard to prove to someone who really doesnt want to listen

and like i kno i got an E in the mock for speaking but then again i wouldnt mind doing foundation speaking but then i dont understand the foundation writing...because i want to get an A..so 2 higher 2 foundation would only get me a B overall..
Reply 5
morg
bonjour, je ne parle pas de francais

hello, i do not speak french
- told u im gd at french :wink:
Reply 6
n33t
hello, i do not speak french
- told u im gd at french :wink:

ha ha that's about the extent of my french speaking ability.. that's what a B at GCSE gets you! :p:
Reply 7
morg
ha ha that's about the extent of my french speaking ability.. that's what a B at GCSE gets you! :p:

haha jokess..if only french examiners had a sense of humour aswell....je detesteeee professur d'francais! elle est un garcon
you just need to knuckle down and really show that you're determined. if not, you can always resit the speaking later and do higher. start learning useful phrases and clever uses of grammar which show higher knowledge such as 'je l'aime'. ultimately, if she wont let you do higher on that paper you just have to get the highest possible marks on the other papers. generally in writing they ask about either your opinion on the countryside or town, your house/ family/daily routine, meeting a celebrity, seeing a car accident etc so start learning useful phrases for that etc

also, if you're not as pleasant to your teacher she'll probably be more reluctant to let you sit the higher paper

start revising just before easter (thats when i am) and JUST STAY FOCUSSED.

bonne chance :smile:
Ben, je suis sure que tu dois just apprendre les reponses des questions et tu pourrais avoir un A :wink:
It's not unfair because if you haven't put in the effort, it's entirely you that's to blame. Don't pin your poor work ethos on the teacher.

In your defence though, she can't force you to sit the Foundation exam. You're the one sitting it, so ultimately the decision lies with you. Just because you might have been good at French in year 8/9, doesn't mean you'll be brilliant at GCSE level. Ask yourself if you want to continue with it for AS/A level. If the answer's no, don't bother risking it.
Reply 11
n33t
haha jokess..if only french examiners had a sense of humour aswell....je detesteeee professur d'francais! elle est un garcon

She is a boy?? What the...?
But the other guy's right - every other word you write is illegible!

But anyway, get a personal French tutor... I am. :smile:

http://www.astartuition.com/

They're brilliant, find one in your local area and they're about £31.00 an hour (depneding on where you live)..

Good Luck :o:
bof!
Reply 13
algérie_mon_amour
Ben, je suis sure que tu dois just apprendre les reponses des questions et tu pourrais avoir un A :wink:

lol this is the real test of french..
i am sure you just to have just learn the responses of questions and you could have a A

lol...that makes sense so im going to assume its right :biggrin: but yeh your right lol abit of hard work and it should be ok :smile: i came on here finkin im gona get support because i was abit irritated at her but noo haha
n33t
lol this is the real test of french..
i am sure you just to have just learn the responses of questions and you could have a A

lol...that makes sense so im going to assume its right :biggrin: but yeh your right lol abit of hard work and it should be ok :smile: i came on here finkin im gona get support because i was abit irritated at her but noo haha

Yeah that's just about right :smile:

Believe me, French at GCSE is a piece of cake, especially speaking, all you have to do is learn the answers to the questions that your teacher will give you especially that it's your teacher who will be testing you, so she knows what to ask you.
Unlike A -level , in GCSE you're not 'challenged', you are asked a question followed by an other one and so on..wheras in A-level you have to argue with the examiner and work hard to get those marks for an A. All the best .
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
bof!

Ceci
Reply 16
algérie_mon_amour
Yeah that's just about right :smile:

Believe me, French at GCSE is a piece of cake, especially speaking, all you have to do is learn the answers to the questions that your teacher will give you especially that it's your teacher who will be testing you, so she knows what to ask you.
Unlike A -level , in GCSE you're not 'challenged', you are asked a question followed by an other one and so on..wheras in A-level you have to argue with the examiner and work hard to get those marks for an A. All the best .

wow, so i take it as ur doin it for a level? if u r, then u must be really gd to keep it lol...but yeh thanks for that (: and yes, i did get some questions from my teacher but the thing is like if you think about all the questions like 45 and the responses its really difficult to learn all of them. how did u do it? i cud do with sum tips please lol
Reply 17
For the love of all that's holy, will you please write in proper English or no one on here is going to think you're particular good at French...

Now to address the issue:
-Don't blame your teacher - you were the one who messed up your mock grades, not her - show some maturity about the situation, show her that you can do it and she may reconsider
-GCSE French is a doss - it shouldn't be that hard for you to get your act together and get at least an A, if not A*, especially if you are good at languages (may I ask if you're doing any other lang GCSEs?)

I could give you some more helpful advice (if you want, that is), but I need to know what's on your specification - GCSE French has changed since I did it; new syllabus came after I finished mine. Also, which exam board?

Latest

Trending

Trending