The Student Room Group
Reply 1
um, anyone? :rolleyes:
Reply 2
Which university are you going to attend? You should ask the accomodation office at your university. If there are any free rooms left I dont see a problem why you shouldnt be allowed to move in during the term.
Reply 3
fg08
Which university are you going to attend? You should ask the accomodation office at your university. If there are any free rooms left I dont see a problem why you shouldnt be allowed to move in during the term.

Not exactly sure yet but they are local universities so I'm really undecided. Staying at home seems to be the sensible option but that may mean missing out on many things.
If its anything like Bristol the answer is probably yes, people have been switching between halls and flats in halls pretty much since a few weeks in.

There's empty rooms in halls, but you might find it harder starting later etc.

I'm so excited I'm house hunting atm :smile:
Reply 5
I cant imagine to stay at home in my first year. I dont wanna miss the hall atmosphere and I think its defintely easier to make friends if your living in university accommodation.
i was unlucky enough to not have halls at the start of september - but i got offered a place at the beginning of the year - so yes, it is possible.

obviously it was a bit difficult to settle in, but after a while i became quite good friends with the people on my floor. It's quite simple to change your student finance application - you just have to download one of application forms to increase your maintenance loan.
hope this helps!
Reply 7
Yes, but it would just depend how many rooms were available. Generally, halls rooms are given on a priority basis, mainly starting with those who chose their room first before the accommodation deadline, and to disabled and foreign students, and of course those bringing families etc.

You'd be best off contacting the accommodation services in the university and asking what they have available.

Really though, don't study at home. Yeah, you'll incur some more debt from loans, but as most people will vouch, living in halls is an amazing experience and you only really get one chance to do it :smile:
samanthaaaa
Is it possible? If so, would it be too much trouble and hassle sorting out loans etc?
Just a general query since I may be staying at home during university and according to many people, I may end up regretting this :s-smilie:
Thanks in advance.

Yes, it is a possibility and I do know (of) people who have moved into halls during the academic year ... but each university has a different situation and regulations regarding halls. Some will always have rooms spare as people drop out, leave uni accommodation, and some can barely house all who need it and have a waiting list for halls as long as my arm. Really, you're much better off phoning the accommodation service at all the unis you're considering and asking them what would happen than asking TSR about it.

Try to go into living at home with an open mind. It's not to everyone's taste, it might not even be to the majority of students' tastes, and so you get people telling you they can't imagine not moving out for uni because halls are so much fun, etc ... but a lot of students who actually live at home like it, or at least don't dislike it. Their parents' homes are nicer than student halls, it's good to have somewhere quiet to retire to, it feels more comfortable, they can have pets, you can get the best of both uni life and a 'normal' life, the commute gives you time to yourself without any pressure... Whilst I won't deny there's some negatives (traffic can be a pain. Bus companies are often frustratingly uncaring. There is a lack of spontaneity. Two hour gaps between lectures are tedious at times) there are also a lot of nice things about it as well. Presumably you've chosen to stay at home for a reason? If you know yourself enough and thought about it carefully, you've probably made the best decision. Best of luck. :smile:
Reply 9
Generally, halls will be fullest at the beginning of the year - so there may be no room early on - and then, throughout the year, a certain number of people will leave their course or want to move somewhere else and look to be released from their contract, and rooms may become available. Exact details will vary from uni to uni, but I would be pretty surprised if any uni wouldn't let you move into an empty room which was just sitting there losing them money.

Latest

Trending

Trending