The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

sparklyteacosie
Don't go anywhere that prevents conversation (cinema, theatre etc) because you won't get to know each other. Leave things like that for a second date.

That's actually a really good point, I never thought of that :congrats:
HearTheThunder
That's actually a really good point, I never thought of that :congrats:

People always seem to fall into the trap of asking someone to go to the cinema because it is such common ground and most people like films and the cinema but unless you meet up for a drink first and then go for another afterwards and discuss it the whole date is rubbish. What do you learn about the person nothing apart from that they can sit and watch a film for 2 hours. Cinema first dates are just one big awkward silence.
Reply 22
I aways find coffee shop dates are the best. I remember sitting in starbucks for hours just talking.
Reply 23
Amlea
this is just a general info thread....

so what are they?

I just have one rule. Treat whoever you date with some respect. You should think about how you act , dress and behave at least as much as you would if you were having a meeting with the Prime Minister , the UN general Secretary and the Royal family all at once. If you care enough about the person to date him/her you should do what you can to behave your best. Other than that there is nothing to remember but to be yourself. Take him/her to the place you think is most suitable and the place and you can do something special if you feel that it would be apropriate. If things work out your date will get to know you really well, so you may just as well let them know who you are from day 1.
Amlea
I aways find coffee shop dates are the best. I remember sitting in starbucks for hours just talking.

I did that this week. Ok it wasn't a first date..or any date infact (it was just my friend and I but it was the first time we have done anything together outside our group of friends and outside the walls of our theatre group) but it would have been the perfect first date. Hehehe I experienced my dream first date but it wasn't actually a date..We went to Starbucks and sat on the comfy sofa talking for a few hours, then bought some lunch and sat in a pretty park, then we went for a very long walk along a river, then walked some more and then went and sat in Starbucks some more. It is one of those ideal situations because it is fun, relaxed, in familiar surroundings and has more than enough oppertunity for conversation.
Reply 25
sparklyteacosie

Don't go anywhere that prevents conversation (cinema, theatre etc) because you won't get to know each other. Leave things like that for a second date.

This doesn't matter much at all in my opinion. First date I had with Linda we went and saw finding Nemo, and I woudl say it worked out very well. If you know your date likes movies or if either of you are sort of shy and find it difficult to talk too much a movie might just be the best idea for a first date. This is why this type of advice is generally not that helpful. It is all to dependant on the individuals in question. Some people like to just hold hands while seeing a movie , others enjoy long deep conversations. One size doesn't suit us all...
Reply 26
Beekeeper
If you're feeling brave then pull out a single rose as soon as you meet, it will go down well.

!!

That would certainly not go down well! It's such a cliche. It's best not to take any form of present on a first date. Roses are symbolic of love and passion, an emotion unlikely to be felt by either individual on a first date.

My general approach to a first date:

1. If you really want the other persons ass, make an effort baby darl. This is the one chance to look fabulous. Buy a new outfit, get your hair done. Top up that tan girlfriend! :biggrin: It's all about ooozing that fabulous sex appeal.

2. No onion or garlic that day, the day before or during the date. It's generally considered to be impolite and it's just unpleasant. It's the law :wink:

3. If you go back for coffee and start making out...do it with simplicity. Seven second kiss, lips only no tongues. Lets not get carried away [unless you're like me and you tend to go just that leel bit too far!].

4. Be complimentary, but not too much.

5. Be chilled out and happy! In a guy, theres nothing worse than a stressy geeky type or a grumpy guy. You need to appeal.

6. Do not order something off the menu if you cannot pronounce it. Worst mistake I ever made. We never made it to date no. 2.

7. Be adventurous with your food order [if u go for a meal...]. Do not, I repeat, do not order something with chips or anything uncosmo. Show you have something about you and go for that lobster thermidore!

And...most importantly, be yourself.
Jonatan
This doesn't matter much at all in my opinion. First date I had with Linda we went and saw finding Nemo, and I woudl say it worked out very well. If you know your date likes movies or if either of you are sort of shy and find it difficult to talk too much a movie might just be the best idea for a first date. This is why this type of advice is generally not that helpful. It is all to dependant on the individuals in question. Some people like to just hold hands while seeing a movie , others enjoy long deep conversations. One size doesn't suit us all...

Ok for some people it may work but if it is a first date with someone you barely know how do you know what kind of film they like or that they will be comfortable at the cinema for a first date. If you do kind of know the person and what they like it can work (I have been to the cinema as a first date but I already knew him) but from experience a lot of first dates at the cinema are just awkward. I did say that the cinema can be a good first date because if you go on for a drink afterwards then it gives you an instant topic of conversation which will lead on to more...I am aware that one size doesn't suit us all but I was merely contributing my thoughts to the thread. Dating is all about trial and error.
red_roadkill

6. Do not order something off the menu if you cannot pronounce it. Worst mistake I ever made. We never made it to date no. 2.

Yes that is a mistake.

Ordering when you can't pronounce what you want is stressful enough without being on a first date.
Reply 29
1) Make sure you meet somewhere private and secluded where you could never be found, as if you get lucky you don't want to be disturbed.

2) Don't tell anyone where your going, for the same reasons as 1)

3) Always let the guy go and get your drinks. If you see him putting something into it, don't question him about it, it'll just offend him and he won't like you anymore.

4) Get absolutely wasted so your inhibitions are down. Putting out is a fool-proof way to getting the other person to like you, and you'll also feel better about yourself.

5) If you by chance don't get lucky and end up going home, make sure you only take an unlicensed cab. They're always much cheaper.

Fin.
:smile:
kingslaw
1) Make sure you meet somewhere private and secluded where you could never be found, as if you get lucky you don't want to be disturbed.

2) Don't tell anyone where your going, for the same reasons as 1)

3) Always let the guy go and get your drinks. If you see him putting something into it, don't question him about it, it'll just offend him and he won't like you anymore.

4) Get absolutely wasted so your inhibitions are down. Putting out is a fool-proof way to getting the other person to like you, and you'll also feel better about yourself.

5) If you by chance don't get lucky and end up going home, make sure you only take an unlicensed cab. They're always much cheaper.

Fin.
:smile:

*sighs*
you're so romantic...

it's just too bad you're taken :frown:
dont call ur date by another boys name (i broke this rule last week)
Reply 32
Beekeeper
Uhm, there should be no dead silences whatsoever.

Be relaxed, and don't just talk about yourself, the recipient will find it very boring, and could get the totally wrong impression of you.

If you're feeling brave then pull out a single rose as soon as you meet, it will go down well.

Just let the "recipient" do that :p:

Eugene.
Reply 33
EugeneD

Eugene.

lol... this actually works if u jus dont mind not having to put 100% effort into the conversation.. + u learn a lot about the other person... however, could easily swing the other way and make u find the other person boring
Reply 34
Say you don't have a lot to talk about what are the topics of conversation u bring up? I've always wondered this...
Reply 35
Ooo good question. Crap, my mind is empty atm. I'll add later, again
Reply 36
Films? Music?
Reply 37
Amlea
Say you don't have a lot to talk about what are the topics of conversation u bring up? I've always wondered this...

anything? I mean, you must have somthing in common... like ask him a few questions and somehow a conversation will develope...
If you're in a restaurant you could start talking about food if you can't think of anything else, if both of your aren't interested in food, the conversation will probably change to talking about foreign places you've visited and so on...
No idea if that's any help, but really, you can start talking about anything and the conversation will just gravitate towards something you're both interested in normally.
Amlea

Interests and hobbies. If you ask your date what they enjoy doing and they say they like watching films then you can start talking about favourite films, films you hate, films that are out at the moments, the last thing you saw. If they say music then you can talk about music. Favourite band, least favourite etc. If they say they are interested in something more unusual then you can ask about it..say for example they liked stamp collecting then you could always ask why they liked it. Just talk and ask questions and you will find something you have in common. Films/Music/books are always good to start with...
Reply 39
EugeneD

Eugene.

Hmmmmmmm, that should actually say "Trust the recipient to do that for you" double :p:

Eugene.

Latest

Trending

Trending