The Student Room Group

Children's Nursing - MATURE STUDENTS..

Hey,

Just wondering if there are any mature students applying for Children's Nursing?

I'm a single parent (to a gorgeous 8 month old baby boy :o: ) so my options are limited as to where to study, so I've gone with UWE. Waiting to hear back.

What qualifications do you have, and experience?

Laura x
im a mature student applying to adult nursing. you could also apply to adult nursing then change speciality when you qualify. plus applying for more than one course could increase your chances.

qualification are usually: GCSE grade C in English, Maths, Science. Plus 3 Alevels grade Bs and Cs, usually with a science.

experiance; any voluntary or paid work in the care sector (preferably with children) for the a good amount of time. because you are a mature student i guess they will expect you to have more experiance than a school leaver generally would, but as long as it has helpped you realise your goal and learn about care then its fine.

good luck with your application
ballerinabetty
im a mature student applying to adult nursing. ]

qualification are usually: GCSE grade C in English, Maths, Science. Plus 3 Alevels grade Bs and Cs, usually with a science.

experiance; any voluntary or paid work in the care sector (preferably with children) for the a good amount of time. because you are a mature student i guess they will expect you to have more experiance than a school leaver generally would, but as long as it has helpped you realise your goal and learn about care then its fine.

good luck with your application

...where the hell did you get that information?! :o:

you could also apply to adult nursing then change speciality when you qualify. - EH?! yeah you can but if you want to do childrens, do childrens first- no point wasting time out of your career, and start again aswell- waste of time and money!

plus applying for more than one course could increase your chances. - again, wtf?! It would decrease your chances, show lack of commitment and understanding about branches of nursing
Subcutaneous
...where the hell did you get that information?! :o:

you could also apply to adult nursing then change speciality when you qualify. - EH?! yeah you can but if you want to do childrens, do childrens first- no point wasting time out of your career, and start again aswell- waste of time and money!

plus applying for more than one course could increase your chances. - again, wtf?! It would decrease your chances, show lack of commitment and understanding about branches of nursing

OP doesnt really have a choie because she can oly apply to one uni so applying for two courses may increase her chances - im assuming that admissons tutors for child and adult nursing would be different.
and i only ment to suggest that she applies to adult nursing as a back up. if child nursing is what she wants to so then def apply to that first.
ballerinabetty
OP doesnt really have a choie because she can oly apply to one uni so applying for two courses may increase her chances - im assuming that admissons tutors for child and adult nursing would be different.
and i only ment to suggest that she applies to adult nursing as a back up. if child nursing is what she wants to so then def apply to that first.

No its the same admissions tutors, and would definately show a lack of commitment and understanding, childrens nursing is **** hot competitive and usually if you dont get in they'd offer you a place on adults anyway, but for the best course of action its worth avoiding

Latest