The Student Room Group

Best hair straighteners you have ever used?

Poll

Which are the best hair straightener brand?

If you're going to say one from the poll, then please vote it , if it's not there then comment :smile:

I really need some new ones, i've got really course, think hair. I had GHDs and they were good but i'm wondering if there is any better.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
GHDs mine have lasted nearly 6 years, before them I bought £30-£50 pairs which were completely ****.
Reply 2
I'd buy a pair from a Salon Services, or similiar. My hairdresser uses high-end products like shampoos, conditioners, etc., but even he doesn't use GHDs as the salon ones are more robust and work just as well. Plus, if you have especially thick/long hair like me, you can get very broad plates. There's a brand called CHS (Ceramic Hair Straightener, would you believe?) that are excellent. I also like ones where they're shaped like scissors.
Definitely GHD's. Some cheap pairs i had before just burnt my hair, buying the more expensive ones are worth it. :smile:
Reply 4
Go for the GHD's but just get the larger plates :smile:
Reply 5
Definitely GHDs!!. I have thick unmanageable hair and the only ones that tame it are my GHDs with the wide plates, they also keep it that way for at least 2 days.
Reply 6
The iron.
I haven't tried many, but I have FHI Technique which is good. I probably should have got the FHI Platform though, as it has temperature control, but is more expensive.
I had a pair of Remingtons that actually got hotter and made my hair straighter than GHDs but GHD's give a smoother appearance so I tend to stick to them.
Reply 9
I have very coarse, thick hair and I've had the wide-plate GHDs for 2 years now, they're absolutely fantastic. I find they're much faster to use on my hair than the regular width (as well as being more effecive) due to the extra width.
GHDs are a waste of money; a few hairdressers I've had recently have said so. If you get any hair straightener that goes to 230 degrees, has ceramic plates and a swivel cord, and costs over about £65 and you've got GHD quality (without the price tag). Plus, my hairdressers always complain about the damage that GHDs do to hair.

I have the Babyliss Pro 230 elegance, and they are absolutely fine - they're quick, easy, and make my hair super-straight :smile:
Reply 11
I have a set of Remington 'Gold' ceramic thingiemajigs which go up to 230C and, on the rare occasions that I straighten my hair, get it really, really straight (they definitely rival the results from GHDs on my hair at least). They were also a lot cheaper than GHDs!
I have some babyliss ones which look exactly like GHDs.
They're amazing! with my hair their are seeing as it's natrually wavy.
Reply 13
GHDS MY partner bought for me, but i am so happy with it would recommend to anybody!
Reply 14
GHDs-overrated
Has anyone ever used "iso" hair straighteners and can tell me if they're any good?
GHDS though I haven't used Remington. Either sound good though one benefit of GHD is that if they break you can send them back and they fix them for free and if they're beyond repair they'll normally give you a discount on a new pair though they don't seem to break much and last for quite a few years.

Whatever you do, do not get Babyliss; literally the definition of rubbish.
Reply 17
The new GHD's - the IV ones, are actually incredible!! Seriously better than the previous generation!
I spent £80 on hair curlers and have used them once as I still resort to ghd's to curl my hair!
RaspberryHaze
Whatever you do, do not get Babyliss; literally the definition of rubbish.

Eh, it depends on which Babyliss ones you get. Some are rubbish, mine are just as good as GHDs (and about £50 cheaper!).
i got a tressamé one before and was amazing,but gradually burned out and started to really fry your hair :frown: only 25 € but tbh GHD is the king if you have really tight corkscrew curls!

Quick Reply

Latest