The Student Room Group

Embarrassing Bodies on Ch4

I decided to post this one here seeing as this is the home of our future medics (haven't seen any threads like this in the med forum, so I thought it would be an interesting post).

I wondered how people here would feel about this programme, I think it's really good as there a lot of people who have these types of problems but are far to embarrassed to go to their doctor about it (though I'm confused as to why they would decide nation televison would be the far less embarrasing option.)

I'm considering medicine in the future but then again I can't imagine my reaction to some of the problems the people who walk in there have. The girl with the toe? That made me feel a little... :s-smilie: And I shuddered when one of the doctors she saw touched it with his bare hand (but then again, I have a 'thing' about feet).

The point isn't really to ask for help or advice but sometimes I get a little worried that I might be a little bit too squeamish for this line of work :p:

Do you think you would be able to brave these problems without any trouble? Have you seen anything that made you cringe a little inside? Do you think doctor easily get used to these kind of things? Don't know what I'm talking about?
(Link below)

http://www.channel4embarrassingillnesses.com/
Reply 1
ZOMG!
I decided to post this one here seeing as this is the home of our future medics (haven't seen any threads like this in the med forum, so I thought it would be an interesting post).

I wondered how people here would feel about this programme, I think it's really good as there a lot of people who have these types of problems but are far to embarrassed to go to their doctor about it (though I'm confused as to why they would decide nation televison would be the far less embarrasing option.)

I'm considering medicine in the future but then again I can't imagine my reaction to some of the problems the people who walk in there have. The girl with the toe? That made me feel a little... :s-smilie: And I shuddered when one of the doctors she saw touched it with his bare hand (but then again, I have a 'thing' about feet).

The point isn't really to ask for help or advice but sometimes I get a little worried that I might be a little bit too squeamish for this line of work :p:

Do you think you would be able to brave these problems without any trouble? Have you seen any that have made you cringe a little inside? Do you think doctor easily get used to these kind of things? Don't know what I'm talking about?
(Link below)

There was a thread posted on this very topic earlier i believe.
Reply 2
Isn't it more to do with the fact tat Ch4 pay for them to have surgery etc rather then that its less embarassing?
Reply 3
ibysaiyan
There was a thread posted on this very topic earlier i believe.

:rolleyes: Silly me didn't look hard enough. Oops I guess--my bad :p:
Reply 4
the worst bit about the girl with the 'feet' was when they took her toenails off, ergghh, silly girl didn't even keep em clean after *forehead slap* she deserves what she gets...

The most squemish thing is the operations tbh.

Also the amount of old mens penises on the show, every single time... I have to dive into the sofa lol
Reply 5
Gemma2010
the worst bit about the girl with the 'feet' was when they took her toenails off, ergghh, silly girl didn't even keep em clean after *forehead slap* she deserves what she gets...

The most squemish thing is the operations tbh.

Also the amount of old mens penises on the show, every single time... I have to dive into the sofa lol

I'm actually okay with the penises and I find myself getting used to the operations they show on there (although I shut my eyes for a bit when they were operating on this woman's breast).

In one episode they looked a teeth and that made me feel ill. I suppose that's one reason I would never become a dentist.
Reply 6
"I am so embarrassed to see my GP in a room where no one else can see what is going on but I will happily show all of the watching public, a random doctor and a TV crew my 'shameful' problem."
Like everything you get used to it. I know I'm not a medic but watching things like oral surgery can make me squeamish whereas doing it is no bother. You're too focused. You learn ways to deal with something. If someone/thing smells bad, mask up and say you have a cold and don't want to pass it on. If you feel a bit queazy, disappear for a minute or two and say you're going to get something.

Having said that though, the first time I pulled a tooth I felt queazy for a few minutes.

I was worried about this too but you just tend to deal with it because there's no other option. I've seen mouths worse than the ones on embarrassing bodies and I may cringe for a minute but then I realise, ok, I have work to do. And you would be the same as a medic.

And I believe people go on this to get their treatment paid for?
Puma
"I am so embarrassed to see my GP in a room where no one else can see what is going on but I will happily show all of the watching public, a random doctor and a TV crew my 'shameful' problem."

exactally.

"my problem is so embarassing, so much so i will let a doctor put his finger up my arse whole on national TV" ... idiots.
ballerinabetty
exactally.

"my problem is so embarassing, so much so i will let a doctor put his finger up my arse whole on national TV" ... idiots.

Sigh. It's because they get treatment paid for them or often can't access the treatment they need on the NHS. Not because they fancy flashing their minge on tv.
I personally commend those people on the programme. They increase public awareness of various conditions through shamelessly exposing themselves. So what if they get free treatment for their ailments? :s-smilie:
Reply 11
ZOMG!

Do you think you would be able to brave these problems without any trouble? Have you seen anything that made you cringe a little inside? Do you think doctor easily get used to these kind of things? Don't know what I'm talking about?
(Link below)

unless if blood and the line of work you'll be involved in scares you a lot, you should be able to get over the uncomfortableness after 5/6 years in uni and 2 F years.
Reply 12
Magnanimity
Sigh. It's because they get treatment paid for them or often can't access the treatment they need on the NHS. Not because they fancy flashing their minge on tv.

This might be true for some cases, but for others e.g. haemorrhoids, NHS treatment is quite widely available, so I do wonder...

And that blonde doctor freaks me out, I'm not quite sure why.
Reply 13
Magnanimity

This is not true, yes some will struggle, but most cases a trip to the GP and a referral is all that is needed.

Latest

Trending

Trending