The Student Room Group

Main vs Subsidiary subjects - explanation?

Apologies if this has been done before, the only thread I found I didn't full understand.

My application form asks for % of course which was main subjects/ subsidiary subjects. Am I correct in thinking that the subsidiary subjects are modules I selected from another department, which still counted towards my degree?

For example, my degree subject is human biology. I took 29 modules which were directly related to human biology (compulsory/ not from another dept. therefore main subject?), plus 3 psychology modules and 4 french.

Thus making my %s:

81% main subject - human biology (Or should I just write biology? As this is what I intend to teach?)

8% Psychology - subsidiary subject
11% French - subsidiary subject

If anyone has followed this through fully, thank you! And more thanks in advance for a good explanation :smile:
Reply 1
shorty.loves.angels
Apologies if this has been done before, the only thread I found I didn't full understand.

My application form asks for % of course which was main subjects/ subsidiary subjects. Am I correct in thinking that the subsidiary subjects are modules I selected from another department, which still counted towards my degree?

For example, my degree subject is human biology. I took 29 modules which were directly related to human biology (compulsory/ not from another dept. therefore main subject?), plus 3 psychology modules and 4 french.

Thus making my %s:

81% main subject - human biology (Or should I just write biology? As this is what I intend to teach?)

8% Psychology - subsidiary subject
11% French - subsidiary subject

If anyone has followed this through fully, thank you! And more thanks in advance for a good explanation :smile:
I think it would help if you clarified what the application is for :smile: It sounds like a PGCE but I could be wrong. If it is, then what you are suggesting is correct, giving your main subject the same title as the degree (ie if the degree is in Human Biology, that's what you state). The only other point I suppose is to make it clear at what stage in your degree you studied the subsidiary subjects.
Minerva
I think it would help if you clarified what the application is for :smile: It sounds like a PGCE but I could be wrong. If it is, then what you are suggesting is correct, giving your main subject the same title as the degree (ie if the degree is in Human Biology, that's what you state). The only other point I suppose is to make it clear at what stage in your degree you studied the subsidiary subjects.

Ah, yes good suggestion. The application is for a GTP - very similar to a PGCE though.

Thanks for your help. At what point in the application would you suggest I state the stage in my degree during which these modules were studied? Should I break the % up into years:

First year:
75% human biology
25% psychology

Second year:

I believe there is the space for this arrangement on the application form, would this be appropriate?

Thanks again
Reply 3
shorty.loves.angels
Ah, yes good suggestion. The application is for a GTP - very similar to a PGCE though.

Thanks for your help. At what point in the application would you suggest I state the stage in my degree during which these modules were studied? Should I break the % up into years:

First year:
75% human biology
25% psychology

Second year:

I believe there is the space for this arrangement on the application form, would this be appropriate?

Thanks again
Yes, because it makes it really clear for the reader what you've done and when -
Minerva
Yes, because it makes it really clear for the reader what you've done and when -

Excellent. Thank you very much - I'll get it written up :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending