The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
dobbs
You have double the amount of blades, fine they're smaller than sweep blades, but with double the area that is putting down power, yes they go faster.

A lot easier to balance to so easy to get the speed up without catching crabs, etc. And just looks so much nicer :smile:

One day would love to get out in an Octuple :biggrin: SOoooooo fast!

Hate to point this out but that doesn't necessarily mean going faster :p:. If you double the effective 'blade area' then the resistance will double too.

It does look so much nicer and smoother than sweep rowing though :smile:.
Reply 241
Mithra
Hate to point this out but that doesn't necessarily mean going faster :p:. If you double the effective 'blade area' then the resistance will double too.

It does look so much nicer and smoother than sweep rowing though :smile:.

Too much physics!!

I like to keep it simple. 2x blades = 2 x pressure haha! :biggrin:

Though yeah I know it's really not that simple, and yes more resistance but it's true that two equally matched crews - one quad and one four (both coxless), the quad would go faster :smile:
Reply 242
Physics :colonhash:
I'll stick to languages, I think. Easier.
Reply 243
Anatheme
Physics :colonhash:
I'll stick to languages, I think. Easier.

Hah, I just read that 'Neal in Syria' link in your sig.

Easier? :lolwut:. I'm glad I didn't keep trying to learn Arabic :p:.
Reply 244
Mithra
Hah, I just read that 'Neal in Syria' link in your sig.

Easier? :lolwut:. I'm glad I didn't keep trying to learn Arabic :p:.

Hahaha, I get SO many questions from people about Arabic, they all think there's one Arabic and that it'll be a walk in a park. I'll be happy to hold a 5min-long conversation at the end of my 4 years, tbh.

(And yeah, I'm sorry but sciences are compeltely beyond me :rofl:)
Reply 245
Yes Cambridge.
Reply 246
Mithra
Yes Cambridge.

Indeed - fantastic race!! They well deserved it, I thought that Oxford would pull away under Hammersmith what with it being their corner but amazing that Cambridge held on, as soon as they were past the eyot I was just waiting for them to get ahead.

Brilliant race! :smile:
Reply 247
dobbs
Indeed - fantastic race!! They well deserved it, I thought that Oxford would pull away under Hammersmith what with it being their corner but amazing that Cambridge held on, as soon as they were past the eyot I was just waiting for them to get ahead.

Brilliant race! :smile:

Hammersmith corner was awesome. "Well this corner should be worth around 3/4 of a length to Oxford so Cambridge need to pull forward a bit before it" *cuts to camera half way through corner and Cambridge have gained half a length*.

I missed the build-up though (going to watch it later), did they talk about the twins in the Oxford boat who should have been the ones who founded 'facebook'? :smile:
Reply 248
Mithra
Hammersmith corner was awesome. "Well this corner should be worth around 3/4 of a length to Oxford so Cambridge need to pull forward a bit before it" *cuts to camera half way through corner and Cambridge have gained half a length*.

I missed the build-up though (going to watch it later), did they talk about the twins in the Oxford boat who should have been the ones who founded 'facebook'? :smile:

Yeah they had an interview with them, where he was like "Oh it was $65 million!" and the twins were like "Ha no comment!" haha.

To be honest, I have a major problem with two brothers who went to the same university, did the same course, then went onto row together at the olympics, then went to another same university, at the same college, do the same course, and decide to row together again. It's just not right I tell you!! Haha.

But yep, build up was good though I think they spend a bit too much time telling us the names of the people in the positions too much. They did it at least 3 times (when they were all coming out to boat, before the start where they summarised based on boat position, and another bit where each crewmember introduced themselves). However every time all they say is their name, where they're from, and what seat they are. Maybe with the addition of course, age, height and weight. Just don't need to be told all this 3 times! :smile:
All the 5 seconds of the boat race I saw from Hammersmith bridge was awesome!
Im annoyed I didnt put a bet on. I thought that Oxford were probably going to win but the odds definitely asked for a punt on Cambridge as it was going to be close. Was thinking of doing one of those Cam by less than 2 lengths or something. Everythings easier in hindsight...
Reply 251
I quit rowing :h:
Gonna learn coxing from now on, especially after I learnt that I was lighter than our actual (tiny) coxes. We'll see if that works, bahaha
Anatheme
I quit rowing :h:
Gonna learn coxing from now on, especially after I learnt that I was lighter than our actual (tiny) coxes. We'll see if that works, bahaha

Woop :smile: Did you not enjoy rowing?
Reply 253
Jessaay!
Woop :smile: Did you not enjoy rowing?

I love paddling around, but I didn't really enjoy racing, I don't really have the mental for it, and all my brain was telling me to do in the middle of a race was just to give up, so not ideal. Also, they decided to scratch the lightweight section, and because I'm neither as tall nor as powerful as the others, I would have definitely been one of the 4 subs left at the end of training camp. I like the people there too much though, so hopefully I won't be too bad a cox.
Anatheme
I love paddling around, but I didn't really enjoy racing, I don't really have the mental for it, and all my brain was telling me to do in the middle of a race was just to give up, so not ideal. Also, they decided to scratch the lightweight section, and because I'm neither as tall nor as powerful as the others, I would have definitely been one of the 4 subs left at the end of training camp. I like the people there too much though, so hopefully I won't be too bad a cox.

I think even really good rowers have that feeling of "what am I doing here? why am I doing this?" mid-race. Everyone will be feeling it if they're working to their max, thats why its crucial to make the boat move when it happens. Coxing is good idea though, specially if your the right build. Having rowing experience will help a lot too.

Cant get enough of rowing at the moment. Weather is perfect for it. However this means lots of boats steaming up and down the river ruining the water :frown:
dobbs
l

Was wondering if you could tell me what kind of level is required for novice sculls at smaller events. Is it completely random or will I be laughed at it I rock up and still cant even sit the boat properly.
Reply 256
partoftheweekend
Was wondering if you could tell me what kind of level is required for novice sculls at smaller events. Is it completely random or will I be laughed at it I rock up and still cant even sit the boat properly.

Well it greatly depends on the event, but as you say smaller events you'll get very novice scullers so yes if you turn up and can't sit the boat properly you won't be laughed at, but bear in mind you might come up against someone who is 'novice' but actually very very good.

I raced at Hexham Regatta last year, which is a decently small regatta, and got easily beaten by a 16 year old schoolboy (I was 24), and my sculling wasn't fantastic, but I didn't mind - it's all good experience.

As long as you can do a relatively confident start and you can do some sort of race pace/pressure then there's nothing wrong with having less-than-perfect technique.

I've been sculling for one and a half years or so, and I still don't have perfect balance, eep :o:

EDIT: Was also going to say, be careful that you don't go for such a small event that you only get one straight final and it's you against someone who can't row to save their life. Then you win, get a point and suddenly you're not a novice when you feel you still are. I'm an IM3 Sculler from winning in a double in a straight final against a not very good crew (they were still half way down the course when we finished)!
I'm starting sculling again :h: I had a chat with the bloke at my old boat club so I can continue rowing in the university holidays (I'm actually going crazy with all this revision and no outlet in the form of a boat and an blade to take it out on). Hopefully I'll be doing some sweep oar rowing there too so I'll have a new team.
Reply 258
Jessaay!
I'm starting sculling again :h: I had a chat with the bloke at my old boat club so I can continue rowing in the university holidays (I'm actually going crazy with all this revision and no outlet in the form of a boat and an blade to take it out on). Hopefully I'll be doing some sweep oar rowing there too so I'll have a new team.

Sculling :love:

Yesterday was such amazing conditions here in Newcastle on the Tyne - water was like glass, no wind at all, sun shining down, absolutely beautiful! We had a fleet of singles and doubles, and a four, go out for a 16km paddle.... I was in a single and it was just perfect :biggrin:

Then we had a second session in a quad, got 5km down the river and just stopped to sun bathe for about 15 minutes before turning to go back ha :cool:

(Today wasn't so nice, windy, grr)
dobbs
Sculling :love:

Yesterday was such amazing conditions here in Newcastle on the Tyne - water was like glass, no wind at all, sun shining down, absolutely beautiful! We had a fleet of singles and doubles, and a four, go out for a 16km paddle.... I was in a single and it was just perfect :biggrin:

Then we had a second session in a quad, got 5km down the river and just stopped to sun bathe for about 15 minutes before turning to go back ha :cool:

(Today wasn't so nice, windy, grr)

Nice :cool: Well the conditions on the lake today weren't very good, not much different to when I row on the thames to be honest in terms of how choppy it was and how hard to balance it was but then with my lake, when you get wind, you get sailing boats and windsurfers. Absolute ******* nightmare. Trying to do a piece in a boat is next to impossible.

Quick Reply

Latest