The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Can't remember who from UoL was gonna go on their training camp, but the leopard lycra worn by one of the guys was very much appreciated. And all the bare chested men wandering around when it was sunny :h:
Reply 261
Jessaay!
Nice :cool: Well the conditions on the lake today weren't very good, not much different to when I row on the thames to be honest in terms of how choppy it was and how hard to balance it was but then with my lake, when you get wind, you get sailing boats and windsurfers. Absolute ******* nightmare. Trying to do a piece in a boat is next to impossible.

What lake do you row on?

And yeah - we get sailboats, jetski's, windsurfers, and a random pleasure boat cruiser full of old people coming down the Tyne. Quite annoying but usually all of the above only during like the middle of the day - no problems at 8am on a Sat/Sun morning :biggrin:
dobbs
What lake do you row on?

And yeah - we get sailboats, jetski's, windsurfers, and a random pleasure boat cruiser full of old people coming down the Tyne. Quite annoying but usually all of the above only during like the middle of the day - no problems at 8am on a Sat/Sun morning :biggrin:

Hollingworth Lake, not a very famous one I doubt.

Oh we get the problems all the time with the windsurfers, none of the pleasure cruisers but you do sometimes get those on the thames (once our cox nearly steered us into one, this was one of the first experiences of the thames I'd ever had, I was terrified). And the windsurfers aren't just a few dotted about, there can be literally about 50 of them at any one time and it's only a small lake :p:
dobbs

As long as you can do a relatively confident start and you can do some sort of race pace/pressure then there's nothing wrong with having less-than-perfect technique.
!

I read this yesterday so tried a proper start this morning in my scull. Nearly went straight in. Definitely not as easy as it looks lol. I might try and find a 1000m race or something near where im based in a month or so and see what happens. Need to get training a lot though.

Also Ive already got a pretty decent rowing tan now. England in April, who would've thought.
Reply 264
Jessaay!
Hollingworth Lake, not a very famous one I doubt.

Oh we get the problems all the time with the windsurfers, none of the pleasure cruisers but you do sometimes get those on the thames (once our cox nearly steered us into one, this was one of the first experiences of the thames I'd ever had, I was terrified). And the windsurfers aren't just a few dotted about, there can be literally about 50 of them at any one time and it's only a small lake :p:

I know Hollingworth :smile: Though never rowed there, I know where it is. Apparently a good location for a training camp, it was considered by us in our list for an Easter training camp, but then we didn't go anywhere :frown:

partoftheweekend
I read this yesterday so tried a proper start this morning in my scull. Nearly went straight in. Definitely not as easy as it looks lol. I might try and find a 1000m race or something near where im based in a month or so and see what happens. Need to get training a lot though.

Also Ive already got a pretty decent rowing tan now. England in April, who would've thought.

Don't do starts from full frontstops in a single, especially when you're a novice sculler. Just try it from half or 3/4 frontstops, and make sure you have a strong body position. Finally, if you get scared and wimp out of it half way through the first stroke, you'll be more likely to go in because you'll put down uneven pressure on each side - be confident and whilst you shouldn't put down FULL pressure, just make sure you keep the pressure on the first stroke and you'll be fine :smile:

Disclaimer: If you do capsize, it's not my fault :biggrin:
dobbs
I know Hollingworth :smile: Though never rowed there, I know where it is. Apparently a good location for a training camp, it was considered by us in our list for an Easter training camp, but then we didn't go anywhere :frown:

Don't do starts from full frontstops in a single, especially when you're a novice sculler. Just try it from half or 3/4 frontstops, and make sure you have a strong body position. Finally, if you get scared and wimp out of it half way through the first stroke, you'll be more likely to go in because you'll put down uneven pressure on each side - be confident and whilst you shouldn't put down FULL pressure, just make sure you keep the pressure on the first stroke and you'll be fine :smile:

Disclaimer: If you do capsize, it's not my fault :biggrin:

Wooooo :biggrin: It is a good lake for rowing on, it's much easier for people to learn on than the thames or rivers because it's quite wide so not as many rules for the cox as there are on the thames and not as choppy unless there's wind. Plus it's fairly clean. The only issue is when there are the windsurfers out as said :p: It's a lovely location though (not being biased because I live there, most of Rochdale's a ********) so convince them to go another time if you can.
Anyone doing BUCS?
Reply 267
Not nearly good enough for BUCS :p:.

Preseason next week though :zomg:. Mix of exciting, scary (three sessions a day :lolwut:) and fearing for my elbow (I really don't want to mess it up and its been on and off since november after something the doctors claim was tennis elbow).
Mithra
Not nearly good enough for BUCS :p:.

Preseason next week though :zomg:. Mix of exciting, scary (three sessions a day :lolwut:) and fearing for my elbow (I really don't want to mess it up and its been on and off since november after something the doctors claim was tennis elbow).

Theres a beginner category for people who have only started rowing this season.
Reply 269
partoftheweekend
Theres a beginner category for people who have only started rowing this season.

Don't know if colleges enter any teams at all though, think it might just be Durham uni boats who enter BUCS.
Reply 270
Mithra
Don't know if colleges enter any teams at all though, think it might just be Durham uni boats who enter BUCS.

Colleges can enter crews, but in the past they've had to enter as a Durham Uni crew - but still wear college colours/use college blades. In my final year we had a Trevs 4+ go to BUSA (as BUCS was known then!) who were down as Durham Uni, I think.

I have a slight niggling in the back of my mind that I'm wrong about this. So apologies if so. Either way, colleges can definitely send crews :smile:

Anyone going to Strathclyde Park Regatta? I'm not racing but taking the crews that I coach up there :smile:
Reply 271
Manchester will be at BUCS, I think they're entering two novice women's VIII and one or two nice men's VIII
Ohh I wish we were going to BUCS.
Just did some sculling, it's awesome :biggrin: If my uni boat club wasn't sweep-oar orientated and there were enough boats/people to make a team for a quad I'd definitely be converted. It also elimanates the one-sidedness (I am surprisingly one sided now despite only having rowed since October) and I also have issues with not leaning too far because I automatically go in a straight line, all elminated by sculling :biggrin:

Although I think the endorphins from finally being on the water again and doing exercise might have got to my head.
Jessaay!
Just did some sculling, it's awesome :biggrin: If my uni boat club wasn't sweep-oar orientated and there were enough boats/people to make a team for a quad I'd definitely be converted. It also elimanates the one-sidedness (I am surprisingly one sided now despite only having rowed since October) and I also have issues with not leaning too far because I automatically go in a straight line, all elminated by sculling :biggrin:

Although I think the endorphins from finally being on the water again and doing exercise might have got to my head.

You know there is a very close club to you that if you joined you would basically get a single all to yourself. :biggrin: You're a medic as well right so that gives you many years to become awesome. You know it makes sense!
partoftheweekend
You know there is a very close club to you that if you joined you would basically get a single all to yourself. :biggrin: You're a medic as well right so that gives you many years to become awesome. You know it makes sense!

Tideway scullers? Or is there somewhere else (there are LOAAAAADS and I can't say I know much about tideway scullers or any of the others) :holmes:

We have our own sculling boats, they're just very rarely used. The only reason I'm so attached to my medic-y one is cus I've made a lot of friends there and I'm sure the social life is good at the other one, but I'd miss them and their little inter-medical school races :frown: I'll look into it though, I'm sure if I was eager enough I could try and do both in moderation.
Reply 276
Jessaay!
Tideway scullers? Or is there somewhere else (there are LOAAAAADS and I can't say I know much about tideway scullers or any of the others) :holmes:

We have our own sculling boats, they're just very rarely used. The only reason I'm so attached to my medic-y one is cus I've made a lot of friends there and I'm sure the social life is good at the other one, but I'd miss them and their little inter-medical school races :frown: I'll look into it though, I'm sure if I was eager enough I could try and do both in moderation.

The 'rarely used' boats are the best ones to try and get a crew together to get into - you can set them up for your crew and really act like it's 'your' boat. No-one else will want to use it so you'll never have to adjust it after others.

Quads are very nice boats, but difficult to make them go as fast as they CAN go (they can go incredibly fast if you know how - I don't!).

Out in a single tonight and watched in awe as one of the other guys rowed right into the arch of a bridge whilst we were doing pieces. He didn't capsize though, luckily :biggrin: Was gorgeous water again on the Tyne :smile:
dobbs
The 'rarely used' boats are the best ones to try and get a crew together to get into - you can set them up for your crew and really act like it's 'your' boat. No-one else will want to use it so you'll never have to adjust it after others.

Quads are very nice boats, but difficult to make them go as fast as they CAN go (they can go incredibly fast if you know how - I don't!).

Out in a single tonight and watched in awe as one of the other guys rowed right into the arch of a bridge whilst we were doing pieces. He didn't capsize though, luckily :biggrin: Was gorgeous water again on the Tyne :smile:

Yup, we don't have quads though, doubles and singles :frown: I could use the doubles/singles any time I wanted however regularly I wanted but I'd love to go in a quad.

Ahh it was choppy on the lake again. And extremely cold. I'm far enough north to make me able to walk round in tshirts down south when everyone else is in hundreds of layers, I can't imagine what the temperature is like up there :p:
Jessaay!

er im talking about one that shares your boathouse! Lots of singles, doubles, quads etc etc!

Anyhows you should go out in your double more. They're really fun, you can really feel your impact on the boat, pretty easy to balance and I find it much easier to steer than a pair.
partoftheweekend
er im talking about one that shares your boathouse! Lots of singles, doubles, quads etc etc!

Anyhows you should go out in your double more. They're really fun, you can really feel your impact on the boat, pretty easy to balance and I find it much easier to steer than a pair.

Oh my bad :teeth: I keep getting everyone on this thread a little confused and thought you were dobbs at first and was thinking of the first boat club you'd possibly know if you were from newcastle. I didn't know they did sculling all that much though... hmmm :holmes: Will give it a gander.

And I might get someone to jump in a double with me at some point (not literally, I have an irrational fear of capsising in the thames ever since I saw an article about someone who got some nasty bacterial infection from falling off a bridge a while ago, being a medic doesn't do much for your paranoia sometimes). And steering the boat was a bit of an issue, I got very confused at first. Something you get used to though I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest